• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C3 Howitzer Replacement

105mm means 11-17km range depending on gun and ammo

155 means 39-70+km range depending on gun and ammo, and a much more impressive boom when it lands ;).

I’m of the opinion 105mm is best to be divested at this point in time, and I’m not alone.

105mm means 11-17km range depending on gun and ammo

155 means 39-70+km range depending on gun and ammo, and a much more impressive boom when it lands ;).

I’m of the opinion 105mm is best to be divested at this point in time, and I’m not alone.
So IF the light fighters are in mountainous territory would a light mobile gun be better? I do know that artillery in WW2 had small guns for mountain troops - what country I cannot remember.

So IF the light fighters are in mountainous territory would a light mobile gun be better? I do know that artillery in WW2 had small guns for mountain troops - what country I cannot remember.
Basically all of them. They had mountain guns which are essentially small pack howitzers that could be taken down carried by the the men and some mules.

I was with the Italian 1st Mountain Artillery Regiment back in the 1970s when they were equipped with 9 x 4-gun L-5 105 mm pack howitzer batteries - 36 guns in total. The Italians still maintain a small L-5 fleet (There are only 18 L5s left in the Italian inventory spread between two mountain and one para arty regiment) so 1 battery apiece.

1st Mountain Artillery, which now has four gun batteries, has been mostly upgunned to towed FH-70 155mm howitzers of which the army has 70. The Italians also have 64 x PzH2000 for their mechanized forces.

Range is a big factor. The FH70 has a range of up to 31 kms. The L5 around 10,000. That provides a massively larger area it can cover especially in mountains where terrain is very channeled and movements limited and slow. One big thing about mountains. Crest clearances, both at the gun position and the target area runs roughshod on range as often high-angle, plunging fire is a necessity. That frequently reduces practical range.

🍻

Back