• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadpat Appropriate for Wear in Public?

Do you think that Cadpat/Combats is an appropriate form of dress for CF Members attending public eve

• Yes, I think that cadpats should be appropriate for wear at all public occasions.

Votes: 152 52.2%
  • No, I think that DEUs are a better representation of a professional when in the public eye.

Votes: 139 47.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda hard to mistake an army cadet for a warrant from the RCR with jump wings etc..

You see homeless people and punks/students and "rebels" with surplus stuff with patches and ranks on it all the time. Not much of a big deal if you ask me.

Ghost778 said:
Kinda hard to mistake an army cadet for a warrant from the RCR with jump wings etc..

You see homeless people and punks/students and "rebels" with surplus stuff with patches and ranks on it all the time. Not much of a big deal if you ask me.

i agree there is nothing you can do about it but if your a cadet or you know what your wearing why wear it? To impress people?

i agree there is nothing you can do about it but if your a cadet or you know what your wearing why wear it? To impress people?

Of course.  
People who wear military uniforms, spike their hair, have all kinds of piercings in their face, wear bush is a devil t-shirts, spend $70 on a shirt that has as much material as a pair of socks etc..    People do it because they feel it somehow represents them. We notice this more because were int he military, we see a kid all decked out in combat regalia and we think, loser, but to everyone else it's just yet one more person wearing something to get noticed.

Do a search, we had a good thread about someone or another wearing a units t-shirt when they didn't "earn" it. All us younger guys were up in arms "lets tear it off them rwar" and the more experienced   (notice i'm avoiding saying older? ;) ) of us wisely said BFD.   And they were right. Who cares.

What gets me the most isn't guys wearing cadpat in public or army cadets wearing their fathers coats - it's the guys who feel the need to talk about section attacks, killing the enemy, throwing grenades around, getting cock from the sergeant swearing their face off infront of kids   and laughing about grusome pictures of suicide attacks found on the net.   'Duh did you see the picture of that guys face in the bucket?'

Someone hearing that trash is 500 times worse than seeing someone on the bus in uniform or buying a coke.

I have no problem with anyone going into a surplus store and buying OD green  combats or DEU clothing that was legally sold by the military.  What gets my goat is when you see someone walking down the street in cadpat pants.

Daidalous said:
I have no problem with anyone going into a surplus store and buying OD green  combats or DEU clothing that was legally sold by the military.  What gets my goat is when you see someone walking down the street in cadpat pants.

Unfortunately ... even CADPAT is now being sold surplus. (something I don't agree with, they should not be sold as surplus until they are no longer being issued)

Just MHO.

Cheers

Cadpat should not sold as surplus, it is illegal for DND to sell Cadpat even to authorized buyers. It is considered controlled technology and shall be shredded to a point where it is not possible to return it to operational state or burning.  Any Cadpat you see in a surplus store is stolen property of the Crown, or is a knock off. So says the ALM-007

OK,

This topic has been discussed on countless threads ad nauseum. We have already determined that the cadpat (99% of it) being sold downtown is NOT the same cadpat that is issued to our soldiers and those regulations/laws/rules have been published on threads here. The stuff (99%) being sold differs in someway and the material is not authentic. That which is the actual CF issued item is illegal to sell or posess as it is a controlled technology item and when they get caught selling/buying it...they get investigated/charged etc. Enough already.

There are lots of look alikes that are NOT authentic. This is not criminal....
Only the authentic CF issued made cadpat (made with the authentic technologically enhanced material) is illegal to sell/posess.

This thread is about whether or not is more appropriate for SOLDIERS to wear cadpat to community relations events/activities or DEUs.
Can we please get rid of the hijack and get back on topic?? Thanks.

In a nutshell, yes, I believe that a soldier should be fully allowed to wear their CADPAT to public events. They are as much a citizen as Canada as any one else, and business people wear shirts and ties to events, mascot people wear silly outfits at sporting events. What I'm getting at is that the "working clothes" of a soldier should be acceptable anywhere, just as everyone elses "Working clothes" are.

How about a mechanic's clothes? A house painter? Highway construction worker? Policeman?

I wouldn't want to see a cop getting drunk in uniform, just like I wouldn't want to sit down in a restaurant next to a guy covered in asphalt, tar, grease or paint.

If it is an approved for CADPAT event (football game, hockey game etc) then it is okay, but all other times are not okay. It is not the same as a shirt and tie (that would be DEU) and its not the same as a mascot outfit (is CADPAT a silly outfit?!)

IMHO the short answer is Yes, CADPAT should be marching out dress in public.

In responce to the post by signals guy, No one should be out drunk in public in ANY uniform. You are the Representative of the queen and Canada when you are in that outfit and should act as such when you wear it.

We are held to a higher standard than the rest of the population as are the police, fire and other emergency and law enforcement professions. With that said I believe it is imperative for the CF to be more "in the face" of Joe civi. Let him and her know that we are there and simply by our presence in their midst remind them that we are there to protect them and the country that they call home.

In the past several decades there has been an overwhelming consensus to "keep a low profile" and to "not cause waves" when it comes to our existence off of a CF Base. Then we wonder why the do not register on the public polls on national concerns.

In conclusion,
Wear the uniform with pride and correctly at all times in public,
do not get overtly drunk,
do not drink and drive,
be cautious to ALL Civilians you encounter,
behave as if the RSM was sitting at your elbow,
interact with the population, let them know that you are not some a- hole and a regular person with an extra ordinary job.

GF

I'm still trying to fathom wearing the Garrison jacket for the LCF..... ???

Garrison??.... it's a dead uniform.

Am baffled that individuals want to go out on the town in CADPAT.

Regardless of what is said, they go out, get drunk, get into trouble and the CF gets a black eye for their trouble!!!!!

Every day I get to see reports coming in with respect to Military members from LFQA having done this or having done that.... wearing cadpat is like a lightning rod for trouble!

OK - rant over

DEUs are fine for Nov 11, Mess Dinner, etc. Go out, hit the bars and have fun, but if you step on your dick, don't cry and moan about the severity of the punishment.

If you want to go out after parade (for you Res types like me)   - beware. Coming from personal experience, you can get in a whole lotta trouble very very quickly (and I'm not even talking about the legal kind of trouble). What are you gonna do when some drunk arsehole picks a fight woth you? Beat the snot out of him? Refuse to fight and get the snot kicked out of yourself? It's a no-win situation.

Do you need CADPAT to pick up chicks?

Edit for spelling.

geo said:
Every day I get to see reports coming in with respect to Military members from LFQA having done this or having done that.... wearing cadpat is like a lightning rod for trouble!

Would that be the Quebec city chapter of the 'ells Angels?

*sniff* that sort of nonsense doe'snt happen out here with the law - abiding Patricia folk.  ;D

This comment is kinda off-topic, but I find it interesting that folks would rather go out to a bar after work rather than spend some time in the mess. You pay for it via mess dues, you can drink with your peers in uniform, and the beer is cheaper. After work a few folks will almost always go out for a few, but we almost always stop in the mess for a pint before going home and getting changed into civvies.

Does anyone use their messes anymore?

our unit uses our mess, we go for a couple in our mess then we go out

We also have a huge percentage of married service couples these days. With a mixture of marriages between Offs/Sr NCO, Offs/Jr Ranks, Jr Ranks/Sr NCO. Why go to a mess when your spouse can't come in with you to a function, or a Yuk Yuks or a whatever.

This is off topic but ....

If 203 people took the poll .... how can there be a 102 each tie?

Just asking is all. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back