• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadpat Appropriate for Wear in Public?

Do you think that Cadpat/Combats is an appropriate form of dress for CF Members attending public eve

• Yes, I think that cadpats should be appropriate for wear at all public occasions.

Votes: 152 52.2%
  • No, I think that DEUs are a better representation of a professional when in the public eye.

Votes: 139 47.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
GO!!! said:
I have been told since the first day of my military career that CUA was for the upkeep of your field kit (because there is alot of it)
Go...someone told you wrong. The CFAO's read that the CUA was for the upkeep & replacement of permanently issued uniform items. Therefore DEU only. Your operational items are not permanent issue and are exchangeable when worn out so they don't cost you anything to replace, ergo the loss of CUA has no impact on that.
GO!!! said:
tailoring etc of your DEUs.
This is done by your local Base Tailor Shop and paid for by the Crown, it doesn't cost you anything, now if one chooses to go downtown instead that would be their choice and their expense.
GO!!! said:
I would say that 17$ was kind of low in this respect, and does not even begin to cover what I already spend on uniform upkeep.
CUA was an allowance paid out by the Treasury Board to federal public servants. Be thankful that you aren't a Canada Post worker etc that received the same allowance but had to wear the uniform every day, thus needing to replace it more often.
GO!!! said:
If the army issues you a vehicle, are you expected to pay for gas and maintenance? Of course not, it is the crown's and you are expected to give it back in a certain condition, so the crown pays for the maintenance. Why is personal kit any different?
An exactly opposite scenario to your example above actually occured with CUA
...the TB gave you an allowance of 17 bucks a month to replace a DEU uniform they were never going to get back from you....
...and the uniforms you do give back and exchange that you didn't get CUA for?? I bet they are far from being in any kind of re-usable condition when you do give them back...why should they pay you money for that when you can walk in an exchange that stuff any time you like?

GO!!! said:
I have been told since the first day of my military career that CUA was for the upkeep of your field kit (because there is alot of it) and the drycleaning/tailoring etc of your DEUs, with the occasional purchase of new stuff. I would say that 17$ was kind of low in this respect, and does not even begin to cover what I already spend on uniform upkeep. If the army issues you a vehicle, are you expected to pay for gas and maintenance? Of course not, it is the crown's and you are expected to give it back in a certain condition, so the crown pays for the maintenance. Why is personal kit any different?

I don't know who told you that. I was a Patricia long before you, and we were never told BS like that. CUA was always for replacement of CFs (as Armyvern said, tailoring was covered by the base tailor shop). Field kit is exchangeable. Drycleaning is your own responsibility, except for kit like the sleeping bag, which is called back to supply for cleaning every so often.

No matter what uniform you are in, If the soldier carries himself with decorm and has respect for himself and the CF he will set a good example for all to see. I have seen some scarry things in CF's and to tell you the truth I mysef have dragged myself out of a ditch or two in CF's

So yes Combats are Appropriate

RAMA... what one does while in uniform is one thing but, before that even happens, you chose the uniform that will put the CF in it's best light.... project the best image.
(you can have sad sacks in both uniforms)

Given the way that Cadpat fades out differently between tops, bottoms and the ICE (for those who have em)... our day to day work uniform is good for that.... day to day work.

The DEU is a "dress" uniform. It is designed for and intended to present our soldiers at their best. If you are going out in town with the intention of being seen by the public - while you make a statement.... then the DEU is the uniform appropriate for the job...

IMHO the CADPAT looks impressive to civilians even if personally you think it looks grungy and faded.

Of course the DEUs will dazzle on a more formal level, the CADPAT ultimately looks *cooler*....for lack of a better term.

I was reminded of this topic last night when I went out to a local bar.  First thing I noticed was a group of about 5 or 6 men/woman who were still in their deu's and a few in combats. They all seemed like they were having a good time, but some were pretty drunk. I agree they should have a great time, but some looked like complete idiots, and since they were in uniform (it being remembrance day and all) they made the CF look bad. A few friends of mine were making comments about how unprofessional our army is. I admit these friends are naive and haven't had much exposure to the military, but this definitely didn't help.

I was reminded of this topic last night when I went out to a local bar.  First thing I noticed was a group of about 5 or 6 men/woman who were still in their deu's and a few in combats. They all seemed like they were having a good time, but some were pretty drunk. I agree they should have a great time, but some looked like complete idiots, and since they were in uniform (it being remembrance day and all) they made the CF look bad. A few friends of mine were making comments about how unprofessional our army is. I admit these friends are naive and haven't had much exposure to the military, but this definitely didn't help.

You're not alone with these thoughts. When I first joined I had a few experiences with going to the town in DEUs, but I've since concluded that this is a terrible idea, for the reasons that you state. In addition, the damn things are a PITA to clean if you spill anything on them, and god forbid if you lose any of the dangly bits. The sight of young soldiers stumbling down the street in DEUs now makes me cringe. When I become CDS, I think that will be the first thing I ban.

In any case, I've moved on to more intellectual pursuits by now.  :)

I found the worst part was that some of them weren't "new" soldiers. They were Cpl's and a Mcpl. So I couldn't just tell my friends they were newbies and that it was just them being proud.

O-well. Some will do anything for a bit of attention it seems. (especially from the ladies.)

i dont see any harm in going to a pub and having ONE beer with a meal, but if your going to a bar or anywhere to drink, have some common sense and wear civilian attire

after every training night we go to the bar in uniform and have a few drink not enough to get smashed. I think it's good to go out sometimes in uniform after training A lot more people come up to you and ask you questions  about the Cf  it's a good way to get people who are interested but might be afraid to go to the recruiting centre to join up

I'll have to disagree with you guys on the Rememberance day uniform antics. It is a great opportunity to have a few with the vets, guys from your unit and the forces in general.

The uniform lends the opportunity to spot people and automatically creates a common thread of discussion and behaviour. I've had more opportunity to speak with vets due to the sparklies on my DEUs than any other single reason, and I'm better for it. The ladies love it too.

There is nothing wrong with going out with the boys and getting elegantly inebriated in DEUs - especially on the 11th, I earned everything on them, and I pay the cleaners!

Besides, if the army did'nt want it to happen, you would be told to take 'em off.

We have had military folks at my school recently. Last year, a militia recruiter in combats, setup in my school at lunch. Yesterday, we had a commander from the navy (teacher at RMC) give a presentation for our rememberance day activities. On average, my friends were more interested in the soldier in combats, then the officer in DEU's- I liked them both, but that's because I felt each was interesting and informative.

I think you have to realize that what might impress someone in a certain situation, may totally seem out of place in another.

GO!!! said:
I'll have to disagree with you guys on the Rememberance day uniform antics. It is a great opportunity to have a few with the vets, guys from your unit and the forces in general.

The uniform lends the opportunity to spot people and automatically creates a common thread of discussion and behaviour. I've had more opportunity to speak with vets due to the sparklies on my DEUs than any other single reason, and I'm better for it. The ladies love it too.

There is nothing wrong with going out with the boys and getting elegantly inebriated in DEUs - especially on the 11th, I earned everything on them, and I pay the cleaners!

Besides, if the army did'nt want it to happen, you would be told to take 'em off.

Ah yes...I remember many a Rememberance Day that started at 11:30 am at the JR's and ended at the bar...good fun had by all. 

DEUs are a scientifically proven chick-magnet.  ;D  Makes the ugliest of us attractive!  ;)  And as long as no one is completely bombed and you're with at least half-a-dozen mates, no one will bother you.

Ah now the argument has, again, come full circle....re drinking while in uniform.

Guys and gals: Having a beer or two in comraderie after a parade, especially in effort to bond with a vet...is completely understandable, and acceptable, but keep it professional. Those who get "comfortably inebriated" and those who get "completely bombed" make the rest of you look bad. I read post after post of people bitching about how the general civilian Canadian population does not take you or your jobs seriously...this is just one of the reasons why.

We can't cement our argument that we (as the CF) need more money for training, equipment, personnel, etc, into the minds of Canadians when we are out getting bombed in uniform. Perception is key here folks. If people see soldiers and officers out partying in uniform (in an attempt to lure the chicks to the magnet or otherwise) they will not take you seriously when you are sober and trying to convince them that what you do for a living is important.

I am a chick...I magnatize to the uniform...as I have alluded to in a previous post in this thread....but I DON'T get drawn to a guy who does not respect his job, or fellow soldiers. IMHO, when you get smackered while in uniform you tarnish everything it stands for...and that philosophically negates all the time you have spent shining those boots and cap badges. Its all about pride folks...if you have enough pride to wear the uniform, you should have enough respect for it to not abuse it (do your chick magnetizing in reasonable fashion, will ya?)

After viewing the antics of a number of new troops in my regiment this past Rememberance Day, I'm inclined to agree with CdnArtyWife. Having a few bevies has always been a tradition on Rememberance Day here in the lower mainland. And as much as I hate to say it, excessive consumption should IMO only take place in legion halls and military messes. I've committed many transgressions in the past while wearing the uniform so take this opinion with a grain of salt. Nonetheless the constant complaint regarding the public and the military has always centered around two caveats: 1) the public doesn't see enough of us and 2) the public doesn't give us enough support. So to reiterate what CdnArtyWife was saying, if the only time the public sees us is when we've seen the bottom of enough bottles to fill a duffle bag, what sort of impression are we leaving? Keeping this thread on course I will say I have no problem with wearing cadpat at public events so long as you haven't had deu's issued yet (a Reserve issue really). If it's a recruiting event, I say put on the cadpat, it looks slightly more badass. >:D

Just my own opinion, but I've always been partial to the U.S Army's old WWII Dress Uniform.  The brown tunic, with a pair of well tailored & pressed tan pants with a service cap looks pretty sharp.  (Not to mention all the shiny bling that adorns a tunic and really grabs the eye)

CdnArtyWife said:
Ah now the argument has, again, come full circle....re drinking while in uniform.

Guys and gals: Having a beer or two in comraderie after a parade, especially in effort to bond with a vet...is completely understandable, and acceptable, but keep it professional. Those who get "comfortably inebriated" and those who get "completely bombed" make the rest of you look bad. I read post after post of people bitching about how the general civilian Canadian population does not take you or your jobs seriously...this is just one of the reasons why.

We can't cement our argument that we (as the CF) need more money for training, equipment, personnel, etc, into the minds of Canadians when we are out getting bombed in uniform. Perception is key here folks. If people see soldiers and officers out partying in uniform (in an attempt to lure the chicks to the magnet or otherwise) they will not take you seriously when you are sober and trying to convince them that what you do for a living is important.

I am a chick...I magnatize to the uniform...as I have alluded to in a previous post in this thread....but I DON'T get drawn to a guy who does not respect his job, or fellow soldiers. IMHO, when you get smackered while in uniform you tarnish everything it stands for...and that philosophically negates all the time you have spent shining those boots and cap badges. Its all about pride folks...if you have enough pride to wear the uniform, you should have enough respect for it to not abuse it (do your chick magnetizing in reasonable fashion, will ya?)

2 points.

First of all, consider the source. The people who will be out on Whyte ave in Edmonton will be at the bars with you. They are young, and the presence of uniforms only makes us more approachable and a "part" of the community, as opposed the starched, stiff necked types who have a tot of brandy and retire to the smoking room to discuss FLOCARK over Cubans. We are out integrating and demonstrating to the public that we ARE them. We represent them and they pay us for it. Taking our uniforms off tells the public that the army only exists on the base and on TV on the 11th. We must stay part of the community fabric if we are to stay in the public eye, and spread the good word. If someone gets hammered and falls down, oh well, mistakes happen, and if it that bad, the QR+Os make provision for that type of behaviour, both in, and out of uniform.

Second of all. (and I'll say this as nicely as possible) If you have never worn the uniform, or earned anything for it, you are supremely unqualified to tell me what is and is not appropriate to do in it. Your experiences as a military spouse are just that, and you should not assume that your husband's occupation gives you some special insight or knowledge into what I do or why. The military, and the cbt arms in paticular, have a long and proud tradition of drinking to celebrate special occasions whilst in uniform. Remembrance day, Mens X-mas dinners, regimental birthday, funerals etc. You are on the outside looking in, and the view can be distorting.

getting drunk in public while in uniform is stupid.
Anyone who does so is stupid.
Anyone who sees this happen, does nothing, and then complains about public perception is stupid.

Stupidity like this is the reason many bases a few years ago frowned upon CF members going off-base while in uniform. Remember having to change into civvies to run uptown to do banking, then change back to go back to work? Remember complaining about it?
This is why.

Young soldiers, like young people everywhere are dumb. They do dumb things. They get drunk and do dumb things with greaer frequency. It's funny to watch dumb people do dumb things. However, when they do it uniform the public sees it, and thinks every soldier everywhere is dumb.
And then they complain that the public would rather spend money on health care than national defence, and can't understand why.
Which goes to prove that they are, in fact, dumb.

paracowboy said:
getting drunk in public while in uniform is stupid.
Anyone who does so is stupid.
Anyone who sees this happen, does nothing, and then complains about public perception is stupid.

Stupidity like this is the reason many bases a few years ago frowned upon CF members going off-base while in uniform. Remember having to change into civvies to run uptown to do banking, then change back to go back to work? Remember complaining about it?
This is why.

Young soldiers, like young people everywhere are dumb. They do dumb things. They get drunk and do dumb things with greaer frequency. It's funny to watch dumb people do dumb things. However, when they do it uniform the public sees it, and thinks every soldier everywhere is dumb.
And then they complain that the public would rather spend money on health care than national defence, and can't understand why.
Which goes to prove that they are, in fact, dumb.

I'm Young and i never have got drunk and stupid in uniform maybe you should change it to. Some young soldiers

CPL,

Don't be so sensitive. He didn't say "Young soldiers, like ALL young people everywhere are dumb. They do dumb things". He just meant everywhere there are young people, there are some dumb ones............ Just like where there's old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back