• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF international bases, staging areas, and fighting formations

R

R031button

From the CBC today

Canada considering international bases: MacKay

By Laura Payton, CBC News

Canada is looking at setting up bases around the world to better position the military to participate in international missions, Defence Minister Peter MacKay confirmed Thursday.

The Canadian Forces does "prudent planning," MacKay told reporters, taking into account the ability to participate in international missions.

"As we look out into the future what we obviously try to do is anticipate where and when we will be needed, but it's difficult with any certainty to make those plans, without talking to other countries, without doing internal examinations," he said.

"The focus of the planning, let's be clear, is our capability for expeditionary participation in international missions.... We are big players in NATO. We're a country that has become a go-to nation in response to situations like what we're seeing in Libya, what we saw in Haiti...

"We are constantly working within that paradigm of countries, to see where we can bring that niche capability to bear. It's part of planning and preparation, in conjunction with our equipment needs."

A report in Montreal newspaper Le Devoir said the Canadian Forces is negotiating to set up bases under a program known as the Operational Support Hubs Network. They've reportedly already completed negotiations with Germany and Jamaica, and are in talks with Kuwait, Senegal, Kenya or Tanzania, Singapore and South Korea.

Canada did have a base in the United Arab Emirates, known as Camp Mirage, to ease access to Afghanistan, but was kicked out after a dispute over commercial landing rights in Canada.

The Canadian Forces had to scramble to set up an alternative base in Cyprus.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/06/02/pol-military-bases.html

I'll take a posting to Jamaica...

Here is a useful international base:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/HMS_Bulwark.jpg

Heck we are still waiting for our Roll on Roll off ships

I can see the need for foreign bases but I do not see it happening any time soon, unless it is another "temp" one in the UAE

"Operational Support Hub" suggests pre-positioned stores and equipment, not a NATO HR brigade - probaly a handful of Canadian staff, and locals to do much of the work.

So this is not a return to CFE but any stretch of the imagination.

Agreed, an network airstrips and ports located close to a potential area of operations. Small staff and potentially a small security detachment, capable of pushing out equipment and otherwise supporting Ops.

Agreed I don't see it being more then a corner of a Airbase somewhere that has LO's and some staff.  I don't even see major  deployment of equipment unless needed.  But I still don't see it happening any time soon.

Germany, Singapore or SK for me please.  Thanks.    ;D

Wouldn't it be easier to ask the US to share a few of their overseas bases?

HavokFour said:
Wouldn't it be easier to ask the US to share a few of their overseas bases?

Even if we rent a shed on a US base, we still require status-of-forces and other agreements with the country that US base is in.

Stop me if you have heard this one.....Floating warehouses......

Flat top built to civvy standards and parked at a "friendly" dock (A Shearwater type location).  In the event of crisis they can move closer to the crisis.  In the event the "friendly" dock becomes "unfriendly" they can get out of Dodge.

Infanteer said:
Here is a useful international base:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/HMS_Bulwark.jpg

Now you're talking.  :nod:

Doesn't that go back to that " I think we should have Marines" petition though?

MM

medicineman said:

MM

I dont know about that, with the threat of a US invasion of Canada, who needs international bases ?

We could preposition things in the US and counterstrike from the rear?  Or would that be more like a Trojan Rabbit a la Search for the Holy Grail?

MM

Would this be any different than the NAMSA stuff that we had in Italy until recently?

medicineman said:

MM

:rofl:

But along the lines of flat tops.............. Dirgables are the way of the future.  But what would we call those who deployed from them.  "Aeromarines"  Lets start a petition for half of what we need.  75 000 Aereomarines.  ;D

CDN Aviator said:
I dont know about that, with the threat of a US invasion of Canada, who needs international bases ?

Pfft....all we need is a base in the US.....that'll confuse them...... :nod:

Back