• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF rank system [Merged]

The chart you referenced is correct.

However, is there not a rank below Private? (Pvt/Rte.) Is there not 2 ranks above Private? (Pvt-Tr./Junior Pvt & Senior Pvt.)

The Private (PTE) rank consists of Pte(R) for recruit, Pte(B) for basic, and Pte(T) for trained. Only Pte(T) wears the single chevron. That's it for privates.

Does Canada not have the appointment of Sgt-Major?

Yes, but it's an appointment controlled by the units. Strictly speaking, any WO/PO1 can be appointed as a SM. In reality, this sometimes includes Sgts.

Do we have "levels" of CWO? (ie. CWO1 - CWO5)

Not exactly. There's no such thing as CWO1-CWO5 (that's more and American thing). We do have CWO who hold senior appointments that are above unit CWO ie: Base CWO, Command CWO, Area CWO, Branch Chief, etc.

By the way, the correct abbreviation for Private in this country is Pte.

ModlrMike said:
Not exactly. There's no such thing as CWO1-CWO5 (that's more and American thing). We do have CWO who hold senior appointments that are above unit CWO ie: Base CWO, Command CWO, Area CWO, Branch Chief, etc.

By the way, the correct abbreviation for Private in this country is Pte.
I worked for KBR-Halliburton during OEFv/OIFiii so I'm slowly taking in the Canadian acronyms I come across on this site (thank God for Wikipedia)
Took me a while to figure out an IMP was an MRE  :-[

In Canada, do Pte(T)s "outrank" Pte(B)s, similar to the structure of say the Marines? or is that sort of localized to America based on the size of their forces?

Lastly, I ask all this because I was lead to believe that based on my previous experience in a [US] military kitchen; a red seal; etc., etc. that I would leave basic as a "Senior Private" and start at the pay range similar to "Private Standard 3" (http://www.forces.ca/en/page/payscales-131#ncmsregular-3)..
Was I hosed by recruiters into accepting Cook as a position [versus learning a new trade] as my brother-in-law warned me about?

Thanks for the clarification..

You will leave BMQ as a Pte(R) with a monthly gross pay of $2663.  Each year you will move up one incentive until you reach the highest incentive for your current rank.  The exception to this is when you are appointed to the rank of MCpl.  If you are, for example, a Cpl incentive 3 when you are appointed, you will receive MCpl incentive 3.

Ptes don't outrank anyone.  There may be times a Pte is placed in charge of a task with other Ptes. When I do this, I place the Pte with the most knowledge of the task in charge of the task.

A Pte is pretty much a Pte.  If there is a work party consisting of only Ptes, and there were Pte(T) mixed with Pte(B) then a Pte(T) should be in charge, but according the QR&Os there is only 1 rank of Pte and no special dispensation between Pte(R)/Pte(B)/Pte(T) as there is between Cpl/MCpl (seeing as there is only the rank of Cpl).  Legally the Pte who has seniority (enrolled first in a Ptes case) has seniority, regardless of if they Pte(R/B/T).  So a Pte(R) who has been in PAT/PAR for three years has seniority over a Pte(T) who joined two years and 11 months ago. (barring shenanigans by the CDS IAW QR&O 3.09)

Not knowing the details of the case the following is likely scenario based on what you have said.  You may be appointed Pte(T) with the maximum pay.  The thing to ask about is time credit for promotion because this will be speed up promotion to Cpl.  Find out how much time for promotion you were credited vice pay incentives.  I came in the Regs from the Reserve with 2 years for pay but only 9 months for promotion so they are not always the same.

To further fuzzify things, there are alternate titles for privates.  In the engineers they are sappers; artillery - gunners; guards regiments - guardsmen; rifle regiments - riflemen; armoured regiments - troopers and there may be more.  Artillery corporals are called bombardiers.

SigOps are unofficially called Sig (Signaller).

Edit: SigOp Pte(T) that is.

Dennis Ruhl said:
To further fuzzify things, there are alternate titles for privates.  In the engineers they are sappers; artillery - gunners; guards regiments - guardsmen; rifle regiments - riflemen; armoured regiments - troopers and there may be more.  Artillery corporals are called bombardiers.
:eek: Soooo, what you're all saying is it goes Private, Corporal, Sergeant...eh?

LOL

AmmoTech90 said:
The thing to ask about is time credit for promotion because this will be speed up promotion to Cpl.  Find out how much time for promotion you were credited vice pay incentives.  I came in the Regs from the Reserve with 2 years for pay but only 9 months for promotion so they are not always the same.
Awesome, I'll be sure to ask for clarification at the swear in.
Cheers!

kawa11 said:
:eek: Soooo, what you're all saying is it goes Private, Corporal, Sergeant...eh?

The is a Master Corporal between Cpl and Sgt, but that is more correctly an appointment also and not a rank. However you need to be appointed to MCpl before you get promoted to Sgt.

Clear as mud? ;D

recceguy said:
The is a Master Corporal between Cpl and Sgt, but that is more correctly an appointment also and not a rank. However you need to be appointed to MCpl before you get promoted to Sgt.

Clear as mud? ;D

Normally.... However, in theory a Cpl could be directly promoted to a Sgt but that has not happened in a long time. I know an individual that got promoted directly in the early 1980s...

kawa11 said:
Does Canada not have the appointment of Schematic?
This appointment is positional based and does not (in most cases) come with any visible distinction worn on the uniform. The appointment is generally given to positions which are paired with a senior officer as a "command team" and is most commonly seen in submit sergeant majors (CS Ms, SS Ms, BS Ms, etc) and unit sergeant majors (RS Ms).  At the formation (Base SM and Bed SM) and command levels (LF_A SM and Army SM), there are differences in the rank to identify those CWO holding the senior appointments.  Most SM positions are at the MWO and CWO level, but I am aware of a few established SM positions at the WO level (and also of Wis appointed SM when the submit MWO position was vacant).  I have never seen a Sgt appointed SM and I have never seen a SM appointment below the submit level, but it is possible that such things exist.  The CF manual of abbreviations includes troop sergeant major (TSM).

I am aware of a few SM positions within the Air Force, and I believe the appointment does not exist in the Navy (which is not to say a Sailor could not be appointed SM if posted outside the environment).  Where the appointment does not exist, rank is used in the title of senior appointments (eg: Base CWO, Wing CWO, Fmn CWO, etc).

D3 said:
Normally.... However, in theory a Cpl could be directly promoted to a Sgt but that has not happened in a long time. I know an individual that got promoted directly in the early 1980s...

That would be so far out of the norm as to be an anomaly and not considered. ;)

MCG said:
I am aware of a few SM positions within the Air Force, and I believe the appointment does not exist in the Navy (which is not to say a Sailor could not be appointed SM if posted outside the environment).  Where the appointment does not exist, rank is used in the title of senior appointments (eg: Base CWO, Wing CWO, Fmn CWO, etc).

There was at least one Navy CPO2 who was posted to and served capably as an (army) squadron sergeant major in the old EW squadron. It was a steep learning curve - especially the duties of a SSM in field operations - but he managed very well by dint of lots of brains and a passion to do things well, no matter how new and strange.

Edit: typo

Not that odd for us "purple" types. I was CSM of MedCoy for two years as CPO2, taking the troops into theatre during my tenure.

ModlrMike said:
Not that odd for us "purple" types. I was CSM of MedCoy for two years as CPO2, taking the troops into theatre during my tenure.

Good point. I had the honour of commanding a diverse group of sailors, soldiers and air force members in a fairly large army unit that got a lot of sand in its shoes. I quickly forgot that my people were blue or green or purple; they all had jobs to do and they (almost) all did them bloody well. But I did learn that CPOs have preferred forms of address from officers and less ranks.

recceguy said:

Clear as mud? ;D

And if a sergeant gets busted for being a bad boy, he goes directly to corporal, does not pass master corporal, loses $200....

Some occupations do not have master corporals (e.g. musician, dental tech, I believe).  They go directly from corporal to sergeant.

Pusser said:
And if a sergeant gets busted for being a bad boy, he goes directly to corporal, does not pass master corporal, loses $200....

Some occupations do not have master corporals (e.g. musician, dental tech, I believe).  They go directly from corporal to sergeant.

Not sure about dental tech.
  http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/19w-19e/nr-sp/index-eng.asp?id=4359

Pusser said:
And if a sergeant gets busted for being a bad boy, he goes directly to corporal, does not pass default to master corporal, loses $200, maybe....

There, fixed that for you.

Which, simply, just proves my point ;)

E.R. Campbell said:
But I did learn that CPOs have preferred forms of address from officers and less ranks.

We are kind of particular like that.  :D

kawa11 said:
Was I hosed by recruiters into accepting Cook as a position [versus learning a new trade] as my brother-in-law warned me about?

Was that an allusion to being a hoser and you mentioned soon after "eh"  not too shabby, most of us do not talk that way anymore if many did at any point but Y'all are impressing me.  Aboot time.  ;D

lea said:
Not sure about dental tech.
  http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/19w-19e/nr-sp/index-eng.asp?id=4359

I stand corrected on dental techs.

Back