• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF rank system [Merged]

AshleyMarie34 said:
Hey there. I have a question that I haven't been able to figure out on my own and it regards one working their way up the military chain.

I know of a member who has been in for close to 20 years and is still in corporal rank. I also know someone who has been in less than 10 years and she is a Captian if I recall correctly.

Just curious how that works if anyone has the time to explain. Thank you!

To start with a Captain is an officer, which means that they most likely started out as an Officer Cadet or a Second Lieutenant.

A Corporal is an NCO rank which is a subcategory of NCM who do not require university degrees, however many still have them. To progress past the rank of Corporal, leadership courses are needed. Meaning that if a soldier does not go on leadership or does not pass leadership they do not move on. There are time requirements in rank, however the bigger requirement is passing the required courses. Now the Army likes to change the courses from time to time and I even know people who were demoted to Cpl because of that. Overall time in is not a very good indication of someone's rank, you can have someone who is a cpl for their entire career or you can get someone who moves up the ranks very fast. That's where the saying for the CD "never trust a Cpl with one, or a Warrant without one" comes from. Although I'm going to be in that category very soon whenever I have the medal pined on me.

AshleyMarie34

To answer your questions.

The CAF has two separate rank streams, Officer and NCM.
The number of years spent at any rank depends on a number of variables.

Officers – In generic terms, officers are managers and planners. While officers may lead troops, their main focus is on the larger picture.
NCMs – In generic terms, are the hands on, workers of the CAF.

The two rank streams are separate and generally not intended to “work your way up from the bottom”.  The Navy.ca Wiki – CAF Rank Insignia offers a current and historical view of the rank systems.

In your example, the ranks both members have reached are the Corporal’s trade and Captain’s occupation minimum OFP (Operational Functional Point), where they can work with minimum supervision. Any promotion above those ranks is merit and competition based.

Some members are content to remain at a certain rank, while others wish to achieve higher goals. There is usually additional training as you advance in ranks and an increase in pay and benefits. There are drawbacks with promotions: time away from family, less time actually performing the job you signed up for are common themes.

This is a quick simplified summary on why your two examples are where they are at.

AshleyMarie34 said:
I know of a member who has been in for close to 20 years and is still in corporal rank.

There is also no shame with being a Cpl, there are a lot of hard working, good soldiers (aviators, sailors) that don't want to be in a leadership position (and all the encompasses) so the chose to remain as a Cpl (or LS for the Navy).

There are also people who do not want to move up the ladder.  Some technicians may want to stay at the Cpl level so they can keep there hands on the work, rather than the paper work.

Also, if they changed trades once or twice, it could be the reason.  Each time your change your occupation voluntarily you revert to Cpl.

dangerboy said:
There is also no shame with being a Cpl, there are a lot of hard working, good soldiers (aviators, sailors) that don't want to be in a leadership position (and all the encompasses) so the chose to remain as a Cpl (or LS for the Navy).

No shame being casted, especially to anyone here in a similar situation. I was just trying to understand how that all worked out!

dangerboy said:

We had a killick Bosn in PRO who was fitted equipment! Refused all promotions and postings and since he had pretty much seen every port in the Pacific he was always willing to be the ships driver and or take a person's duty watch while alongside.

Translation - Leading Seaman Boatswain (Boatswain trade are your classic sailors) in HMCS PROTECTEUR (AOR 509) who had been in that ship so long he was like a piece of essential machinery.

Back