• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

I remember in theatre I was just happy knowing the guns were there if we needed them. Never bothered asking who force generated the gunners.

When are you heading over?
I think the joke was just towards the wording, not the soldiers.

I think the joke was just towards the wording, not the soldiers.
Could be I misread something there. If it was snark vs the wording of the articles as opposed to snark vs 5 brigade, I’m cool with eating crow and apologizing.

Could be I misread something there. If it was snark vs the wording of the articles as opposed to snark vs 5 brigade, I’m cool with eating crow and apologizing.

Dozens of Quebec soldiers are heading for Latvia to join in NATO's deterrence and assurance measures as part of Operation Reassurance.

About 80 soldiers from the 5e Régiment d'artillerie légère du Canada (5 RALC) boarded a flight from a Quebec City airport Wednesday evening to join the roughly 1,375 Canadian Armed Forces personnel in the region. Another 40 members are expected to fly out at a later date.

Article reads like Quebec is sending their own Army to Europe, instead of saying CAF soldiers based in Quebec.

Article reads like Quebec is sending their own Army to Europe, instead of saying CAF soldiers based in Quebec.
From my experiences, quite a few CAF Soldiers based in Quebec often view themselves as "Quebec's Army."

3 RCR and 3 Vandoo almost got into fisticuffs in Poland because the TF Comd would not grant St. Jean Baptiste as a stand down, but Canada Day was.

My bad. Sorry dude. I read it as a shot at Quebec. I’m of the “there’s no cap badge on a helmet” mindset and that’s where I was coming from.

From my experiences, quite a few CAF Soldiers based in Quebec often view themselves as "Quebec's Army."

3 RCR and 3 Vandoo almost got into fisticuffs in Poland because the TF Comd would not grant St. Jean Baptiste as a stand down, but Canada Day was.

Once/if the bullets start flying none of the anglophone/francophone crap will matter, along with all the sensitivity DLN courses we take.

Once/if the bullets start flying none of the anglophone/francophone crap will matter, along with all the sensitivity DLN courses we take.
I've said it before, if this goes hot, all the DLN stuff will disappear really quick.

Reading some stuff that NATO has asked Denmark for extra troops in Latvia. Word is that Denmark has agreed and will send 800 troops. Have to wonder if Denmark takes on the leadership role since they will have the majority of troops on site.

Reading some stuff that NATO has asked Denmark for extra troops in Latvia. Word is that Denmark has agreed and will send 800 troops. Have to wonder if Denmark takes on the leadership role since they will have the majority of troops on site.
They already have a large leadership role in NATO Multinational Division North which is centred in Latvia. 800 more troops would be a big commitment. Their RegF army is smaller than ours although their reserves have much more depth.

🍻

Have to wonder if Denmark takes on the leadership role since they will have the majority of troops on site.

It would be a very big way of NATO leadership embarrassing us into stepping closer to 2%.

Genuine Question:
What are we doing in Latvia that a European country couldn't do better, with better logistics and mobility, etc...?

They already have a large leadership role in NATO Multinational Division North which is centred in Latvia. 800 more troops would be a big commitment. Their RegF army is smaller than ours although their reserves have much more depth.

🍻
800 is 10% of their army

800 is 10% of their army
From Wikipedia the Royal Danish Army has 25,400 Active Service members (and 63,000 Reservists) so 800 is more like 3% of their Reg Force. Add that to their existing contribution of 220 soldiers and you get a total contribution of 1200 soldiers (4.72% of their Active Service force).

By comparison Canada has (again according to Wikipedia) 23,000 personnel in the Reg Force Army. According to the Op Reassurance website we currently have 695 soldiers in eFP Latvia (3% of our Reg Force Army).

From Wikipedia the Royal Danish Army has 25,400 Active Service members (and 63,000 Reservists) so 800 is more like 3% of their Reg Force. Add that to their existing contribution of 220 soldiers and you get a total contribution of 1200 soldiers (4.72% of their Active Service force).

By comparison Canada has (again according to Wikipedia) 23,000 personnel in the Reg Force Army. According to the Op Reassurance website we currently have 695 soldiers in eFP Latvia (3% of our Reg Force Army).
I stand corrected, though Id be curious at their teeth to tail ratio

1280px-Royal_Danish_Army_-_Organization_2021.png

🍻

🍻
They have a population of less than 6m people. I would hope that they RegF is less than ours.

They have a population of less than 6m people. I would hope that they RegF is less than ours.
Actually from Wikipedia the Royal Danish Army has 25,400 Active Service Members vs. 23,000 for the Canadian Army.

☹️

Actually from Wikipedia the Royal Danish Army has 25,400 Active Service Members vs. 23,000 for the Canadian Army.

☹️
That's a little off. The Royal Danish Army's website states they have 7 - 9,000 professionals excluding conscripts under training.

Conscription is written into the Danish constitution and conscripts generally serve 4 months in training (the majority volunteer for service) and then become part of the reserve. At any given time the number of conscripts for all three services at any given time is 4,200. There are some conscripts who have longer tours which range from 8 to 12 months.

🍻

Eh Spain has the largest contribution in Latvia already, still a Canadian hq.

Back