• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada 150th Anniversary of Confederation Medal

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Neither was the Queen's silver Jubilee medal in 1977: Limited distribution also. So I don't understand the reference to 1992, Lightguns.

Personally, I agree that for commemorative medals, it should be general distribution to anyone who serves in the "commemorated event" year and has completed his/her basic. It's not like we have so many medals and ribbons in the CAF that we have to worry about running out of space on our dress uniforms ... unlike some other countries that shall remain nameless.  :-X

I seem to be misinformed or transposing British distribution with Canadian.  There seems to be no general distribution in Canada history, so my argument is moot.  Anyone know if the Coronation Medal was general distribution?  I heard only for Canadians on parade during the coronation.

Lightguns said:
I seem to be misinformed or transposing British distribution with Canadian.  There seems to be no general distribution in Canada history, so my argument is moot.  Anyone know if the Coronation Medal was general distribution?  I heard only for Canadians on parade during the coronation.

I joined in 1957, so it was before my time. However, I recall seeing a few people wearing it, most of whom were not in the contingent that marched in the parade.

Old Sweat said:
I joined in 1957, so it was before my time. However, I recall seeing a few people wearing it, most of whom were not in the contingent that marched in the parade.

Would they have been some of the "Queen's Cpl's" who were presented medals by the Sovereign during a visit?

George Wallace said:
Would they have been some of the "Queen's Cpl's" who were presented medals by the Sovereign during a visit?

As some were fairly senior officers, probably not. It seems to me that commemorative medals, other than the ones given to GOFOs, COs and RSMs, were used to recognize people for doing a good job.

Some people considered it a mixed blessing. Brig EAC Amy, who was commanding 4 CIBG in 1967, noted that he would have to have his medals remounted, and his ribbons adjusted. This was at his own expense, by the way. Before the event, he had 16 medals, starting with DSO, OBE, MC and then a bunch of service medals and a CD.

Lightguns said:

My dad had that medal in his set.  I don't believe he was on parade during the Coronation.

Lightguns said:

Cobbled together from both the VAC site and the DND site.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/medals-decorations/commemorative-medals
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/honours-history-medals-chart/medals-chart-index.page

King George V Silver Jubilee Medal (1935)
There were 7,500 medals to Canadians, of which 1,154 were to the Canadian Forces. A total of 85,235 were issued.

King George VI Coronation Medal (1937)
There were 90,279 issued in total, with 10,089 to Canadians.

Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal (1953)
Of the 138,214 total medals issued, 12,500 went to Canadians.  (no longer listed on DND site with CF numbers who received it- no longer any serving)

Canadian Centennial Medal (1967)
There were 29,500 issued, of which 8,500 went to the Canadian Armed Forces.

Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal (1977)
Canadian Version:
There were 30,000 medals issued, including 7,000 to the Canadian Forces, 5,500 to the regular force and 1,500 to the reserve forces. The regular force breakdown of medals was 1,500 to officers (all general officers; 50% of Colonels; 25% LCols; 20% Majors; 5% Captains; & 5% Lieutenants or equivalent naval ranks) and 4,000 to other ranks (50% CWOs; 25% MWOs; 15% WOs; 5% Sergeants; 5% Master Corporals; and 5% Corporals). The reserve force awards were made on a proportionate strength basis to the land, sea and air components, the Cadet Instructors List, the Canadian Rangers and to those holding honourary appointments. The Commanding Officer of each unit decided who in the unit would receive medals.

British Version:
There were 30,000 British medals given out including 9,000 to the British Armed Forces.

Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of Confederation (1992)
The Medal was awarded to approximately 42,000 highly esteemed Canadians, from all walks of life, from every region of Canada, from varied ethno-cultural backgrounds and from a multitude of disciplines. (of which 4 000 were awarded to members of the Canadian Forces.)

Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
An estimated 46,000 medals were issued, of which approximately 9,600 were awarded to members of the Canadian Forces.

Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee Medal
. . . During the anniversary year, 60 000 medals will be awarded, of which 11 000 will recognize members of the Canadian Forces. . . .

Well,

It appears a Canada 150 medal is not entirely mythical.

The Legion is issuing it's own commemorative version of the medal,
since the government has declined officially to note the event.

http://rcl110.ca/UserFiles/File/CHURCH%20PARADE/Canadan%20150.jpg

kratz said:
It appears a Canada 150 medal is not entirely mythical.
The Legion is issuing it's own commemorative version of the medal...
Well, for the folks wanting a 'gimme medal' and  those concerned with the Legion's dwindling membership, it seems like a perfect solution. 

Call ENDEX and lock the thread.    :cheers:

Journeyman said:
Call ENDEX and lock the thread.    :cheers:
This thread has at least three more bad and/or stupid suggestions left in it.

... And for the sake of momentum, here is one now:

Let's replace CDS and L1 Comd commendations with a 150 medal for one year.  Not only does this resolve the distribution question, it save all recipients from having to arrange those little commendation pins on their uniforms.

MCG said:
Not only does this resolve the distribution question, it save all recipients from having to arrange those little commendation pins on their uniforms.
Ahhh....and the medal-mounting folks can then enjoy the same benefits as the badge-embroiderers and the HQ sign-painters!  :salute:

Or how about awarding it to every serving member of every Reserve unit whose average paid strength is less than half the heritage they claim.  So, for example, a unit that parades forty people and claims direct lineage to the start of WWI would get it, since 40 is less than half the heritage they claim.

Back