• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's New, Liberal, Defence Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply put, no major Canadian political party has a defence "policy"; they have postures, along with varying shopping lists, and an aversion shared by all to any loss of Canadian life and by two parties to killing anyone at all:
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/mark-collins-new-canadian-liberal-governments-defence-policy-how-soft-part-2/

Mark
Ottawa

Problem is, I think the Liberals are still stuck in the early 70's:

From Hair:

"When the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter lines with Mars, then peace will guide the planet and love will steer the stars... This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius"

When they should have at least evolved to the early 80's:

From ABBA:

"Let's not look the other way, taking a chance, for if the bugler starts to play, we too must dance."

;D

MarkOttawa said:
.... and an aversion shared by all to any loss of Canadian life and by two parties to killing anyone at all:
https://cgai3ds.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/mark-collins-new-canadian-liberal-governments-defence-policy-how-soft-part-2/

.... an admirable if somewhat unrealistic state affairs since it is the military who do most of the killing, and the dying is often shared by military and civilian alike, often disproportionately.

Let the "Fortunate Son" go down this "silver spoon in hand" path of flowers. It leads to blue berets which often morph to green and tan anyway (R2P).  If a Canadian service person is killed or injured because he/she is outgunned or inadequately armoured, then the above stated aversion principle will demonstrate the flaw in the logic.

This is a majority democratically elected government, one cannot change the course they are on because they believe very strongly that they have the support to go down this path.  And the facts may show they do have such support right up until the dying starts again, at which point both the  opposition and the military leadership will have no choice but to stand up to the concept of demilitarization. That last point was ongoing under Harper, I believe the only difference between him and the (Prime) Minister of Marihuana is how quickly it will happen.           

A letter to the editor on the East Coast regarding Mr Leslie

http://thechronicleherald.ca/letters/1318896-reader%E2%80%99s-corner-anybody-but-andy-leslie-at-dnd

FSTO said:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/letters/1318896-reader%E2%80%99s-corner-anybody-but-andy-leslie-at-dnd

That's quite a scathing review... and 100% accurate. Although the prospect of a FRP for officers puts a smile on my face

Bird_Gunner45 said:
That's quite a scathing review... and 100% accurate. Although the prospect of a FRP for officers puts a smile on my face

FRP ?  That's an acronym allot of people have been waiting for... Have any proof of this ?

whiskey601 said:
.... an admirable if somewhat unrealistic state affairs since it is the military who do most of the killing, and the dying is often shared by military and civilian alike, often disproportionately.

Let the "Fortunate Son" go down this "silver spoon in hand" path of flowers. It leads to blue berets which often morph to green and tan anyway (R2P).  If a Canadian service person is killed or injured because he/she is outgunned or inadequately armoured, then the above stated aversion principle will demonstrate the flaw in the logic.

This is a majority democratically elected government, one cannot change the course they are on because they believe very strongly that they have the support to go down this path.  And the facts may show they do have such support right up until the dying starts again, at which point both the  opposition and the military leadership will have no choice but to stand up to the concept of demilitarization. That last point was ongoing under Harper, I believe the only difference between him and the (Prime) Minister of Marihuana is how quickly it will happen.         

I think Harper lost the will for the fight (domestically and internationally) somewhere between the years 2006 and 2010.

Parliament wouldn't stand for Afghanistan past 2011.
Media beating him up over handling of prisoners.
RCAF hangs him out to dry over the CF-35.
PWGSC shuts down MSVS programme
Leslie Report (good or bad)
Transformation order to MND and CDS disregarded
CCV on again off again
TAPV must have / useless

You lot want to find someone to blame - check the mirror.

Bird_Gunner45 said:

We have our fair share of NCM's that should be shown the door as well...

I think we'd be better off as a smaller, more agile, and better trained/equipped force. Unfortunately I only see "smaller" being on the table of options.

Bring on FRP I guess.

and why officers for FRP?  There are more of us that would certainly consider FRP if the package was right.  Bring it on. ;D

CountDC said:
and why officers for FRP?  There are more of us that would certainly consider FRP if the package was right.  Bring it on. ;D

What he said.

Why FRP for officers?  Because we were ordered to reduce the ratio of officers to NCMs in 1997 and never did it.  We're at about 1:3 officers to NCMs in the Reg F now; that's ridiculous.  We have created occupations which can spend an entire career on staff in Ottawa.  With over 5000 senior officers in a trained strength of about 60K, there's something seriously wrong in our structure - remember, every senior officer would be on the sunshine list in Ontario (pay of $100K+).

Personally, though, I'd just use TOS and gating and other tools rather than FRP.  Don't offer incentives; show the door.

dapaterson said:
Personally, though, I'd just use TOS and gating and other tools rather than FRP.  Don't offer incentives; show the door.

Absolutely agree. Can start with "You're posted to 1/2/5 CMBG. Release if you're not happy, you've been in Ottawa 15 years."

What is gating? Or did I just define it above?

dapaterson said:
Why FRP for officers?  Because we were ordered to reduce the ratio of officers to NCMs in 1997 and never did it.  We're at about 1:3 officers to NCMs in the Reg F now; that's ridiculous.  We have created occupations which can spend an entire career on staff in Ottawa. 

For those occupations, would it make more sense to put them in the Public Service instead? 

FSTO said:

This would be a time I wish I had that hand clap gif to post. (among others...)

Dimsum said:
For those occupations, would it make more sense to put them in the Public Service instead?

If your career consists of 9-5 officework, then why do we need you in a uniform?

dapaterson said:
If your career consists of 9-5 officework, then why do we need you in a uniform?

I think we're both in agreement here. 

Is there a case to be made for converting some positions to the civil service with a condition of hire being that the candidate has done X-years in the CAF? 

Could that reserve the uniformed numbers for deployable personnel?

Perhaps some of those "civilian" members could also be Reserve members that could be activated as the situation warrants?

Chris Pook said:
Is there a case to be made for converting some positions to the civil service with a condition of hire being that the candidate has done X-years in the CAF? 

Perhaps some of those "civilian" members could also be Reserve members that could be activated as the situation warrants?

If all you are is a project manager, why do you need to be in uniform at all, in any capacity?  Project directors are there to keep the requirements in the forefront, but the PMs have no need for military background.  Indeed, posting people every 2 or 3 years just disrupts the delivery of capability.

The CAF suffers from a uniform fetish, a penchant for building large useless HQs, and a lack of institutional discipline.

Chris Pook said:

I'm willing to bet that A. Most of those people filling civilian jobs aren't deployable, or B. Those people being told to get out won't want to be in uniform anymore.

PuckChaser said:
What is gating? Or did I just define it above?
Instead of automatic TOS renewals, selection boards rank personnel and only the top X recieve offers of new TOS.  If some number decline then the offers are extended to the next highest persons on the list.  TOS expiry serves as a gate to remove low performers from the service.

Chris Pook said:
That sort of requirement is strongly frowned upon.  Instead of years service, one could create a requirement for a skill set exclusively taught to a particular rank (and/or occupation).  But, we like to over-use such things to guarantee retirement employment where no prior military service is actually necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back