• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's 'second national anthem' silenced

I'll bet Peter Masbridge had something to do with this...constantly being pre-empted and all....

dukkadukka said:
I'm not even kidding you, but they are revisiting that (About 5 or so maybe more, when FOX introduced a glowing puck so the viewers could find the puck easier) at CBC!! Isn't that ridiculous!

[rant]
If you live in this country and have not leanred to keep track of the puck at a hockey game then turn in your passport and leave.  You are ill suited to be a Canadian and will eventually become a drain on our healthcare system when that little round disk smashes you in the face because you 'lost track of it" at a game.
[/rant]

Sigger said:
dukka, you work at CBC, dont you? I will cry if this happens.
No I don't work at CBC, but it was in the news, I'd say a month ago or so.  (I searched for the news article but was highly unsuccessful!) I remember when Fox had the glowing puck, I couldn't even watch the games because it was so distracting!
I agree with the last post (oooh little rants!) that if you're a Canadian citizen and you can't figure out where the puck is, there's something seriously wrong! FOX did it because those pesky Americans had difficulties keeping track, it shouldn't be re-introduced to Canadians!!

Back on topic, I'm slightly confused about what kind of direction CBC may be going in! Next thing you know, they'll get rid of Don Cherry (again) and the first intermission will include cheerleaders instead of actual content!! (Though I'm sure some men won't complain if cheerleaders were introduced! (excluding the southern American teams, who actually do have cheerleaders!))

Ain't it just like the CBC to kick Canada in the balls over a little money.  I'm not a hockey fan, but cannot imagine not hearing the tune on the TV.  If CBC wanted to get pissy about it they should have done so decades earlier before the song became part of our heritage so to speak.

Sigger said:
Agreed.  San Jose, Florida are two that I know of.  And if you watch any IIHF hockey in Europe, they ALWAYS have cheerleaders in the stands, dancing on the stairs!!!

dukkadukka said:
Agreed.  San Jose, Florida are two that I know of.  And if you watch any IIHF hockey in Europe, they ALWAYS have cheerleaders in the stands, dancing on the stairs!!!
I seem to remember that the first time I saw that was a Junior Championship (I think) in Finland.  They were in the stands, up and "cheering" during the many mini-breaks during the games.

Fine. Let the owner keep her music. It has no other real use, other than as an intro to HNIC. Let her eat Alpo in the dark for a year or two, and watch her come back on her hands and knees.

Seems there's been some legal-beagle history to this.....

http://www.kemplaw.net/hnic-litigation.html

"... The balance of the motion related to 32 questions is presently adjourned pending the outcome of a mediation that is schedule to occur early in 2008 ...."

Guessin' the mediation didn't go all that well, eh?

Wait, here's more from the music folks!

Dear Friends:

It's a sad day.

Effective immediately following the last playoff game of this season the CBC will cease using the Hockey Night in Canada Theme.

A more formal announcement follows below, but first a small but important message...  Dolores Claman, composer of the song, would like to express her deepest gratitude to all the many kind people who over the years have said how much the song means to them.

Each time someone called or emailed to use the song in their wedding ceremony, or school project, or family event... or just to tell a story about great childhood memories, it's been a tremendous honour. And though we've received many, none will ever be forgotten.

We will continue with our sheet music, CD, etc. as long as we can and as long as you continue to ask for it.

We'll still be here if you'd like to contact us for any reason. Feel free to send email to John Ciccone: john@hockeytheme.com 

Once again, thank you.

John R. Ciccone
President
Copyright Music & Visuals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For release June 4, 2008:

Hockey Night In Canada Theme to End:

This evening's Stanley Cup game 6 may be the last occasion that the widely recognized “Dunt- da-DUNT- da-dunt” refrain of the Hockey Night in Canada Theme (sometimes referred to as "Canada's Second National Anthem") will ever be heard in association with Hockey Night in Canada.

The composition was written by Dolores Claman in 1968 and has become one of the longest running theme songs in broadcasting history.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation ("CBC") has advised the composer, owner and administrator of the musical composition that it is not prepared to enter into a new license agreement with respect to the use of the theme. The current license agreement expires at the conclusion of the 2007/08 NHL playoffs.

The CBC has been offered a new license on terms that are virtually identical to those that have existed for the past decade (the cost to CBC to use the theme is approximately $500.00 for each game broadcast of Hockey Night in Canada). However, the CBC has chosen to move in a new direction.

Although the parties have been involved in litigation since 2004, this has not interfered with CBC’s ongoing use of the Theme in conjunction with Hockey Night In Canada - Similarly, the resolution of the outstanding litigation is not a pre-condition of the proposed new license agreement.

Dolores Claman states: "I am saddened by the decision of the CBC to drop the Hockey Night in Canada Theme after our lengthy history together. I nevertheless respect its right to move in a new direction."

For a more detailed history of the theme see:
www.hockeytheme.com

For further information contact:
John R. Ciccone
President
Copyright Music & Visuals
416-979-3333
john@copyrightmv.com

TCBF said:
- People still watch hockey on CBC?  How very quaint...

Well... whether or not it is still classed as hockey is debatable, but when they play, I watch the Leafs on CBC.
Lets hope for a cup playoff spot by 2020.

Midget

Wow - I was just telling my daughter about the HNIC theme the other day. She was excited about watching a hockey game, and I was telling her how famous that song was. I said I figured that about 95% of the Canadian population would recognize that song.....

There were a lot of things that needed to be changed at HNIC. This wasn't one of them.

sundin.jpg

Here we go, now - now that the MSM has a grip on this, <sarcasm>I'm SURE the CBC reps will be quoted fairly, accurately, proportionately, in context and without bias or preconception of the story, right?  </sarcasm>  Shared with the usual disclaimer....

Hockey Night in Canada song in limbo; CBC and composer negotiate licence deal
Canadian Press, 5 Jun 08

The future of Hockey Night in Canada's theme song is in limbo.

The agency that represents the song's composer said Thursday that the CBC will no longer use the familiar hockey anthem, but the head of CBC Sports says the song hasn't been shelved yet.

"Our negotiations continue and if we can do a deal for the theme that's reasonable for both sides, we'll do it, it's a great theme," CBC Sports executive director Scott Moore said in a phone interview. "If we can't, then we have an alternate direction that we're excited about and that I think will create controversy and create excitement amongst Canadians.

"But certainly our first choice would be to keep the theme as it is."

The licence agreement CBC had with composer Dolores Claman ended with this year's Stanley Cup playoffs, which wrapped up Wednesday night.

John Ciccone, whose company Copyright Music & Visuals controls use of the song, said he was given a deadline of noon Wednesday to reach a new agreement. Ciccone said the CBC sent him an e-mail later in the afternoon telling him they would not renew the contract.

"We looked at it every different way we could," he said. "Whatever it takes, let's try and come up with something."

Moore said that he was scheduled to speak with Ciccone later Thursday.....

Alberta premier says it's ridiculous for CBC to consider dropping hockey night theme
Canadian Press, 5 Jun 08

Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach is waving his fist at the CBC over reports that the national broadcaster is preparing to drop the Hockey Night In Canada theme song.

Stelmach says the familiar heart-stirring song is as well-known as the national anthem and any talk of dropping it is ridiculous.

The premier says it may cost $500 every time the theme is played, but it's worth the money to keep something that Canadians hold dear.

Stelmach says he may even take his frustration to Hockey Night in Canada commentator Don Cherry ....

milnewstbay said:
The premier says it may cost $500 every time the theme is played, but it's worth the money to keep something that Canadians hold dear.
I think Alberta just volunteered to fund keeping the song on the air.

Back