• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Army gets a new flag (2016)

An ugly and stupid waste of money. The bill should be presented to those that pushed for it, and they should be publicly shamed, their livestock slaughtered, and their fields laid waste and salted.

Loachman said:
An ugly and stupid waste of money. The bill should be presented to those that pushed for it, and they should be publicly shamed, their livestock slaughtered, and their fields laid waste and salted.

Well, we can't do that any more, so instead, as punishment, we post them to NDHQ.

Where they can do more harm. Brilliant.

Journeyman said:
        :not-again:
So who is that guy?  I heard his name attached to the return of British ranks and to the last new flag of two years ago.  Is he an EX-something with a staff and no responsibility but to reinvent the aesthetic?

Former militia CO, obviously employed in DHH; the ultimate in 'form over function' when it comes to things military.

Army G1 Heritage as a Public Servant.
CO or ex CO now, don't know.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Tony:

You have to give more credit than that to our great staff workers in Otawa.

I have no doubt that the answer exists.

At some point in the flurry of high level staff activity that preceded such a momentous decision, a briefing note covering the supporting documentation was carefully arranged by a junior staff officer (read a Lcol) to be passed up the chain for approval. That note contained the words "reinforcing the link between the brave veterans of Afghanistan and the Cold War period with the heroes of First and Second World Wars and Korea".  This sentence was, like the rest of the briefing note, subjected to critical reading by this officers superior, who exerted himself with great acumen as he took on this serious task in order to justify further his very existence in the system. So he underlined that sentence and scribbled in the margin: "Explain?" and sent it back down for review. The whole resulting in the drafting and addition to the supporting material of a 12 page paper of historical-philosophical-anthopological mumbo-jumbo in support of the contention.

Now, they will just dig it up.  :)

/SARC OFF

In other words, it's a 'camel' flag: designed by a committee?

Some of this stuff happens automatically. In 1942, just after the Canadian Army had stated there was no intention of creating an airborne capability, the PM announced the exact opposite. One of the first staff actions was to start the process to design the parachutist badge.

“These changes are collectively directed at promoting the military traditions that shape our Army,” said LGen Wynnyk. “Our symbols and history increase the pride that each soldier feels in their trade and duty within the Canadian Army. Maximizing corps and regimental identity is key to our soldiers’ personal and collective esprit de corps.”

:salute:

Yup.

Certainly better than decent boots and trucks would.

Loachman said:
Yup.

Certainly better than decent boots and trucks would.

and GBAD, AT, Attack Helicopters, a decent material management system (DRMIS is junk), a decent SA system (battleview is junk), Blue force tracker for logistics vehicles (if we had vehicles).... I'm sure I'm missing things.

Aside from that... yes, the General is 100% correct.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
and GBAD, AT, Attack Helicopters, a decent material management system (DRMIS is junk), a decent SA system (battleview is junk), Blue force tracker for logistics vehicles (if we had vehicles).... I'm sure I'm missing things.

Aside from that... yes, the General is 100% correct.

G11, I11, you forgot 'a radio', over :)

Rifleman62 said:
Army G1 Heritage as a Public Servant.
CO or ex CO now, don't know.

He's also behind the project to have Regimental kit ie kilts, etc issued through Logistik.

From the whistling past the graveyard department, one can only hope that at least as much effort has gone into providing input into the government's review of defence policy and structure.

:soapbox:

Old Sweat.

I filled in the Government's questionnaire.  I also filled in the opposition's questionnaire. Then I wished the opposition luck on being able to effect any kind of change or being allowed to supply any meaningful input.

We have no policy beyond expediency.

Chris Pook said:
Old Sweat.

I filled in the Government's questionnaire.  I also filled in the opposition's questionnaire. Then I wished the opposition luck on being able to effect any kind of change or being allowed to supply any meaningful input.

We have no policy beyond expediency.

The easiest and quickest path into the esteem of traditional military authorities is by the appeal to the eye, rather than to the mind. The `polish and pipeclay' school is not yet extinct, and it is easier for the mediocre intelligence to become an authority on buttons, than on tactics.

- Captain Sir Basil Liddel Hart, in Thoughts on War, 1944

Back