• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Didn't the NDP come out with a platform a few days ago?
Did they? Yes. Are people paying attention to the NDP? More importantly are the right people paying attention to the NDP? Those blue liberals or red Tories?

Did they? Yes. Are people paying attention to the NDP? More importantly are the right people paying attention to the NDP? Those blue liberals or red Tories?
oh, you meant one of the big two.

Sure, in normal times, subsidies aren't required, but think it makes some sense when we are talking about during a kick-start post a global pandemic

I doubt a kick-start is needed. Many people are sitting on top of accumulated savings and looking for things to do after a long period of restrictions. More money thrown in unnecessarily distorts the behaviour of the "marketplace" and aggravates price inflation. It's a really good time for governments to hit the bench and let people figure out for themselves what they want to pay for, and what they want to work for.

Most of, if not all of the Platform guide points from all parties are in my opinion mere efforts to buy votes of specific demographics, industries etc. What I want and am confident I will not get is a articulation and debate of various options for the following large issues ( note these are Federal issues not provincial issues that the Federal Government of all flavors keeps attempting to take for itself). I want to have a debate about what the various parties goals are with regards to the below large items:

• China Policy
  • National Unity vs Regional bickering
  • National Infrastructure / Industrial Independence ( This spans from pipelines, to ports, to vaccine manufacture, to ship yards, aircraft industries)
  • Indian Act modernization/amendment/abolition
  • Financial State of the Nation, expenditures / taxation / inflation and how they impact economic growth and competitiveness and how to achieve balanced budgets vs growing debit ( Note this is not arguments over whose bespoke taxation ideas are better)
  • Various Federal policies and the importance of individual agency, sovereignty, freedom and choice versus centralized management and mandate of behavior and actions ( I see lots of items included in this, everything from childcare policy, firearms policy, social media policies to vaccination policy)

I thought the CPC would have learned, with people living paycheck to paycheck, they do not have money to put up front, to be reimbursed later at tax time.
Canadians are financially illiterate and the type to buy a $50k vehicle for $60k because they can afford the payments. Just like the LPC, they believe their banking accounts will balance themselves.

Canadians are financially illiterate and the type to buy a $50k vehicle for $60k because they can afford the payments. Just like the LPC, they believe their banking accounts will balance themselves.
Who do you hang out with exactly? No one I know thinks that at all.

So that means it doesn’t happen, right? Having you been living under a rock? People have been living outside their means for a long time just to keep up with the joneses. Big houses and new cars every few years. Look up the % of Canadians one paycheque away from insolvency.

So that means it doesn’t happen, right? Having you been living under a rock? People have been living outside their means for a long time just to keep up with the joneses. Big houses and new cars every few years. Look up the % of Canadians one paycheque away from insolvency.
That does not mean that Canadians are financially illiterate. You make a lot of blanket statements and rarely back it up.

Here. I’m backing up my statement.

Some Canadians do live this way.

And there are the unwashed masses, the plebs, the lower class and those in financial distress.

These folks are not buying houses, they cannot afford them.

These folks are not buying 50k cars, they don't have the credit.

These people are single moms, people in more precautions jobs, gigs work, entry level.

These folks cannot afford 30, 60, 90 dollars a day in daycare per child. Have twins? Screwed. Want children close in age? Screwed. Single woman who ends up pregnant and didn't get an abortion? Screwed. Family that requires dual income to survive? Screwed.

This CPC plan doesn't help them much. 10 dollars a day would work a lot better.

ends up pregnant

Single parents usually merit support, but it'd be nice to stop talking about pregnancy as something that just "happens" to people.

You might think it unbelievable, but there are high rollers who also manage to live only one paycheque from insolvency. Just have to scale up the spending. But the few of those aside, I find myself wondering how it is that I've managed to - across my years - "hang out" with so many people who spend a lot of time living with maxed out credit.

People have managed to live their lives, including with children, for millennia without government support; some as recently as in the past few years!

Single parents usually merit support, but it'd be nice to stop talking about pregnancy as something that just "happens" to people.
Do I need to explain how babies happen?
You might think it unbelievable, but there are high rollers who also manage to live only one paycheque from insolvency. Just have to scale up the spending. But the few of those aside, I find myself wondering how it is that I've managed to - across my years - "hang out" with so many people who spend a lot of time living with maxed out credit.
Some people do, and others are simply not in financially able to do things.

it's best if we don't let the former ruin things for the latter.
People have managed to live their lives, including with children, for millennia without government support; some as recently as in the past few years!
Just because they did doesn't mean they should.

Just because they did doesn't mean they should.

Works the other way, too. Why shouldn't they? (That actually has an answer: resources are finite, and there are more pressing needs.)

Works the other way, too. Why shouldn't they? (That actually has an answer: resources are finite, and there are more pressing needs.)
We have been over this before.

Gets more people, usually women, in the workplace, leading to more productivity, income taxes, GDP growth.

It leads to a higher birth rate, which helps stave off a demographic crunch in the future.

It helps those who generally couldn't afford childcare and thus stayed at home, so lower income individuals by in large.

Leads to more women feeling they can afford to have a child and thus when they engage in sexual relations with the opposite sex which has the possibility of bodily fluids released from the male reproductive organ reaching the uterus in which lies the egg which can be fertilized under the proper circumstances, which, if viable, can lead to a pregnancy, they choose to keep said fetus instead of aborting it.

I know we've been over that. Why is it someone else's responsibility to pay for that, instead of, say, more money for health care to deal with the backlog of treatments delayed by COVID restrictions?

A demographic crunch would one of the best ways of mitigating various kinds of damage. Fewer people, less impact. (There is a good reason for increasing population, but I'll wait and see whether you stumble across it.)

We know what causes pregnancy, and there are cheaper ways of dealing with it. Those who want pregnancy without consequences are SOL; the consequences are huge. Most unplanned pregnancies involve people who just don't give a sh!t; where their welfare is concerned, I am perilously close to being equally indifferent.

Things that might be helpful aren't mandatory.

I have met a lot of people like that. Some people are sitting on a lot of wealth as i see houses bought all around me for 4-5 times what i paid and then doing 60-100 thou in reno's. But there are a lot of decent people out there that live paycheck to paycheck as inflation has stripped away their buying power.

I know we've been over that. Why is it someone else's responsibility to pay for that, instead of, say, more money for health care to deal with the backlog of treatments delayed by COVID restrictions?
We've been over this as well, society decides what services it provides.

Unless you want to be personally responsible to fighting your own house fire, or personally responsible for paying for your health care, or paying for private security instead of police.

And it's not like the CPC isn't offering money for childcare, they are, just in a different way.

So society, if the two biggest parties are any indication, seem to think this is enough of a priority.
A demographic crunch would one of the best ways of mitigating various kinds of damage. Fewer people, less impact. (There is a good reason for increasing population, but I'll wait and see whether you stumble across it.)
There is there is just the awkward part where 20 percent of the population needs to pay for the needs of 30 percent of the population.
We know what causes pregnancy, and there are cheaper ways of dealing with it. Those who want pregnancy without consequences are SOL; the consequences are huge. Most unplanned pregnancies involve people who just don't give a sh!t; where their welfare is concerned, I am perilously close to being equally indifferent.
You don't need to care. Nobody is forcing you to care. But so long as society cares? Shrugs
Things that might be helpful aren't mandatory.
Sure.

Back