• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Now the Liberals want to levy extra taxes on banks, in large part for reporting as profit (this year) the money they set aside (last year) to cover anticipated losses. Also, they plan to put upward pressure on insurance premiums by squeezing insurance profits (ditto extra taxes). Be a shame if people's savings and pension fund investments were allowed to grow.

Municipal politicians like federal (and provincial) money, but not so much that they are willing to be voted out of office by locals who like their zoning the way it is.
People don't understand municipal affairs until the rendering plant is being built right next to them, indeed.

Many people move in next to the rendering plant (which has been there for decades) and then complain it should be removed.

This is a fiscal/economic "Short Bus" election. All three major parties are riding it, making promises showing where money will be going into pockets ("seen") without anyone accounting for where it comes out ("unseen"). Most people are probably ignorant enough, as is customary, to allow their votes to be swayed by it.

People don't understand municipal affairs until the rendering plant is being built right next to them, indeed.
Or, until they go on strike.

No garbage collection.
Arenas, pools and recreation facilities shut down. No summer programmes for kids. No grass cutting in parks. Island ferries shut down.
Daycare facilities shut down.
Licencing Commission shut down. No building permits, signage permits, taxi cab or "burlesque" licences.
No Department of Public Health inspects of restaurants, pools, beaches, city run health clinics and dental offices.
Water supply and treatment workers on the picket line.
No animal services.
etc....

Many people move in next to the rendering plant (which has been there for decades) and then complain it should be removed.
Quality Meat Packers Ltd., and some sympathetic neighbours, argue that the company has been in the area for over 80 years and people should get used to its porcine odour.

In one of my previous lives 30 years ago, covering city hall as a reporter, that was also true then, so it's sad (but not entirely surprising) to see things haven't changed much for the very reasons Altair gave. Another reason, I think, is that while it sounds like there's some education in the schools about how the national level of government works, not so much about how municipal governments work.
How many people think they are voting for Trudeau, O'Toole or Singh as opposed to their local MP?

"...our Brothers, the Taliban...."

EDIT: so much for my first attempt ever at a GIF

Shocked Eddie Murphy GIF

Ok, so at first glance that doesn’t look good. At second glance it still does not look good. She’s Afghan though right? Is that a term they use to address each other over there?
I've already seen a few posts from Muslim folk saying "nyet".

[/QUOTE]

Then complain about the lack of employment or residential taxes going because the commercial base is shrinking. That's why some provinces had to pass 'right to farm' legislation because urban folks were moving out to the country then complaining about the smells, etc. They still often whine about slow vehicles and combines operating at night and scaring the children.

Then complain about the lack of employment or residential taxes going because the commercial base is shrinking. That's why some provinces had to pass 'right to farm' legislation because urban folks were moving out to the country then complaining about the smells, etc. They still often whine about slow vehicles and combines operating at night and scaring the children.
[/QUOTE]

My grandfather bought a farm when he retired.

But, he didn't know what he was doing. It was like Green Acres ( for those old enough to remember. ) :)

Attachments

• greenacreas.jpg
    greenacreas.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1

My grandfather bought a farm when he retired.

But, he didn't know what he was doing. It was like Green Acres ( for those old enough to remember. ) :)
[/QUOTE]
We bought a horse farm a year before I retired. Some days it wasn't far off it either.

How many people think they are voting for Trudeau, O'Toole or Singh as opposed to their local MP?
How many think their local MP has any freedom to vote independently? In actuality the voters are voting for the party platform (the declared and undeclared platforms that is).

They do not have the time, energy, or frankly, interest in keeping tabs on all 3 levels of government. They barely pay attention to the feds between elections, provincial less so, and municipal are an afterthought.
Many probably have more interest in their garbage getting picked up than in foreign affairs.

My guess is they are more likely to phone their local councillor with services complaints than their MP about how to run the country.

Back