• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Yup. My intention was to stay clear of this thread, but I couldn't let thousands of workers get slagged because of who they are forced to support. Right to Work is not ideal, but somewhere along the line, people who are having their money stolen by proxy and bad legislation should have a choice how their money is spent, who it is going to and who it is supporting. National Executives like Gerry Diaz, should not have the capability to demand of a federal government, let alone be their bagman to a bribed media of their members.

Torn between putting this here or in one of the AFG threads, but since it's a political commitment, seemed to make more sense here for now.

O'Toole's alternatives in Afghanistan, via 3:46 video shared Thursday
  • "Rededicate ourselves to work with our allies and Afghanistan's neighbours to help anyone able to flee the Taliban
  • "Work with our allies, including India, to establish humanitarian and refugee corridors"
  • "Provide political and material support to Afghans resisting the Taliban occupation"

It wouldn’t have been. This didn’t become a front page issue until a crisis happened. When was the last time O’Toole mentioned it before all of this?
July 22, 2021, actually. He sent a letter to then-PM Trudeau asking/pleading for the Liberal government to step up.

Attachments

• EOT Letter to PM.jpg
    EOT Letter to PM.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 13
July 22, 2021, actually. He sent a letter to then-PM Trudeau asking/pleading for the Liberal government to step up.
That is still when all of this started. So yeah…I said before all of this.

That is still when all of this started. So yeah…I said before all of this.
Indeed and while some have stated he has been pushing this issue for a couple years, 10 minutes on Google has yielded nothing older then a month.

I am sure I heard him talk about this on one of the national non-CBC talk radio programs more than a year ago. But I could be misremembering things

Bearing in mind that most of what will turn up in Google is news-based and biased towards recent news, the question is whether anything before this "event" started was newsworthy. If not, good luck finding anything.

Bearing in mind that most of what will turn up in Google is news-based and biased towards recent news, the question is whether anything before this "event" started was newsworthy. If not, good luck finding anything.
This from the Toronto Sun back in 2017, detailing assistance that O'Toole has provided in the past as a cabinet minister, and later as a member of the opposition.

Afghan interpreter seeks safety in Canada

“Disappointing” and “unacceptable.”
That’s how federal Conservative leadership candidate Erin O’Toole describes the “terrible” response from Canadian Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen to an Afghan interpreter’s fear of assassination for serving Canada’s troops.
Karim Amiry, 28, now living in Kabul, Afganistan, served with Quebec’s Bulldog Company of the Royal 22nd Regiment from 2009-11. Taliban insurgents have threatened to kill him and Amiry now wants to come to Canada.
“Afghan Interpreter Karim Amiry feared for his life,” says O’Toole.
The Durham MP — a former veterans affairs minister, a lawyer and a one-time Canadian air force officer — knew what to do.
“I immediately hand delivered a letter to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship and spoke to him about this case.”
It didn’t work.
“Weeks later, I received a truly disappointing response that indicates he does not take the matter as seriously as his predecessor,” said O’Toole.
In his Feb. 1 letter, O’Toole wrote: “Mr. Amiry, as one of the many Afghan interpreters seeking refuge in Canada, has received a threat letter from the Taliban. I now fear that Mr. Amiry’s life is at imminent risk because of his work for Canada.”
Instrumental in encouraging previous immigration minister John McCallum to bring Afghan interpreter James Akam from a refugee camp in Germany a year ago, O’Toole was looking for similar action.
“It is to that end that I request for ministerial Intervention to assist Mr. Amiry and his family,” wrote O’Toole. “The work of interpreters, like Mr. Amiry, in gathering intelligence and building connections to the local population likely saved many Canadian lives in Afghanistan, at great risk to them and their families.”
But he did not get back the response he was expecting.
“Your support for Mr. Mohammad has been noted and I appreciate the circumstances which prompted you to write,” Hussen wrote back 47 days later. “The Government of Canada has acknowledged the contribution certain Afghan nationals made to the Canadian military, during our combat and civilian mission in Kandahar, Afghanistan.”
The minister explained that “certain Afghans who faced extraordinary personal risk as a result of their work in support of Canada’s mission in Kandahar could apply to come to Canada through the Afghan Special Immigration Measures program” which brought in approximately 800 applicants.
“However, the special measures were ended in September 2011, and unfortunately, Mr. Mohammad can no longer be considered for immigration under this program. Mr. Mohammad may wish to review the eligibility requirements for Canada’s other immigration programs, which can be found on our website.”
Thanking O’Toole, the minister ended his letter: “While I regret that my response cannot be more favourable, I hope that you will understand my department’s position on this matter.”
O’Toole does not understand it at all.
“When I approached (former) minister McCallum about James Akam, he got it right away,” said O’Toole. “What I received back from Minister Hussen was an almost standard form letter. I am pretty disappointed. It was a terrible display. Like something coming from a nameless bureaucrat. And this guy is a refugee himself.”
Hussen is a Canadian success story. Having come from war-torn Somalia as a child and growing up to be a lawyer and mentor, the MP is now a cabinet minister. Hopefully Canadians can change his mind and that of Trudeau, who goes to great trouble to bring in anti-Islamophobic Motion-103 but closes the door on Muslim men who fought on our side against Islamic terror.
O’Toole has “great respect” for Hussen which is why he is perplexed.
“I find it unacceptable,” he said “of the current government’s failings on this important issue.”
He figures there are about two dozen verifiable applicants with military files who “are the ones who accidentally got left behind and slipped through the cracks of the program.
“These guys helped our troops” said O’Toole. “These people’s lives are at risk because they helped Canada. That is why there are threats against them.”
Amiry and other interpreters tell me they are still in hiding in an increasingly hostile environment in Afghanistan thanks to the Taliban and ISIS.
O’Toole says the solution is simple.
“We just need a one-time extension to bring over all of the documented interpreters who qualify so we have not left anybody who served with our troops behind,” said O’Toole.
A request for an interview with Hussen was not granted but a government spokesman said that while “humanitarian and compassionate” considerations are made on a “case-by-case basis” there are “no special measures for Afghan interpreters are planned at this time.”
O’Toole says blood that comes from that decision is on the Trudeau government’s hands.

Like I said originally this wasn’t on anyone’s plate until it became a crisis. While I can appreciate O’toole’s efforts as an MP, the CPC would be pretty much in the same situation the LPC is right now if they were governing. Both parties procrastinated on this file.

But yeah, this might get capitalized on by the LPC.
I would be very suspicious if they didn't try to.

I mentioned the demographic of the protestors not being in line with the LPCs right-wing white male (probably racist) narrative.

Check the videos and see for yourself. Seems less "conservative oriented" and more about Canadians being pissed off and fed up with Trudeau.

Is aggressive protesting a right-wing conservative thing? Not necessarily. I believe this old couple was curious about the PPC last election.

Has Trudeau been held accoutable for violating Covid-19 restrictions yet?

Like I said originally this wasn’t on anyone’s plate until it became a crisis. While I can appreciate O’toole’s efforts as an MP, the CPC would be pretty much in the same situation the LPC is right now if they were governing. Both parties procrastinated on this file.
Maybe a CPC PM would have dealt with the international humanitarian crisis directly involving his nation instead of having been so vain as to call an unnecessary, unpopular and unwanted election just as the crisis was beginning to unfold.

Maybe a CPC PM would have dealt with the international humanitarian crisis directly involving his nation instead of having been so vain as to call an unnecessary, unpopular and unwanted election just as the crisis was beginning to unfold.
I’m pretty sure that if the LPC or the CPC (if they were in power) knew this was going to be in the news cycle the way it has they wouldn’t have called this election. But I have no doubt that a CPC PM would have called an election if it advantaged him just like this one has.

I would be very suspicious if they didn't try to.

I mentioned the demographic of the protestors not being in line with the LPCs right-wing white male (probably racist) narrative.

Check the videos and see for yourself. Seems less "conservative oriented" and more about Canadians being pissed off and fed up with Trudeau.

Is aggressive protesting a right-wing conservative thing? Not necessarily. I believe this old couple was curious about the PPC last election.

Has Trudeau been held accoutable for violating Covid-19 restrictions yet?
Does not matter. If these people keep protesting and using signs with nooses and yelling racist comments at the protective detail like in the latest one then I think this will help Trudeau more than hinder him. I would not be shocked if we see a bump in the LPCs polls as result of these sorts of things.

Then there is Cheryl Gallant…

O’toole is running a great campaign. But these sorts of things make it harder for him and give the LPC plenty of gifts to capitalise on.

Latest from Angus Reid (overview also attached in case link doesn't work) with the key info about the poll itself
The Angus Reid Institute conducted an online survey from August 27-29, 2021 among a representative randomized sample of 1,639 Canadian adults who are members of Angus Reid Forum. For comparison purposes only, a probability sample of this size would carry a margin of error of +/- 2.5 percentage points, 19 times out of 20. Discrepancies in or between totals are due to rounding. The survey was self-commissioned and paid for by ARI.
ANgusReid1.jpg
ANgusReid2.jpg
ANgusReid3.jpg
ANgusReid4.jpg
ANgusReid5.jpg
ANgusReid6.jpg

Attachments

• 2021.08.30_Afghanistan.pdf
    370.7 KB · Views: 0
She's a complete idiot. I can't believe she keeps getting voted in.
I agree, but shows that people vote for the party, not the candidate. Especially can't believe she keeps getting elected in Pet with all the dumb things she's said about PTSD either, but there you go.

I think I'm Team Thanos for this election; would be great to eliminate half the MP positions with a snap (not the individuals obviously, just the jobs). No point having two people act as filler when one will do. For the most part most MPs don't actually do anything, and we probably drop well over a billion a year on their salaries, staff, etc. When they can take 4 months off a year without people noticing...

Engage retro-rockets!

Conservatives on 'rocket ride' as seat projection shows close race: Nanos​

The Conservatives continue to run just ahead of the Liberals in ballot support, and have also all but erased the previous Liberal lead in projected seats, according to nightly tracking conducted by Nanos Research for CTV News and the Globe and Mail.

With just three weeks to go until the Sept. 20 vote, tracking data ending Sunday and released Monday morning shows the Liberals projected to win 111 seats versus 107 for the Conservatives, a sharp change from an Aug. 22 projection that had the Liberals ahead of the Conservatives 128 to 94. A projection from June had the Liberals at 171 seats versus 59 for the Conservatives.

“Check out the trendline, It’s basically a rocket for the Conservatives,” Nanos said on Friday's edition of CTV's Trend Line podcast. It's basically a tie for all intents and purposes.”

Back