• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

first done in ancient Greece. Great idea
True, but it would still leave the greasy rodent fornicator (GRF)* troop being able to vote vs. smart/engaged civilian not being able to vote.

* Realizing there would be a small percentage of GRFs in any veteran's group - just bringing up the principle of the thing.

Speaking of seats, I just noticed the LPC flipped a lead based on mail in votes,Brome-Missisquoi. Was a LPC seat before, but bloc had the lead on election night.
Close one in Sault Ste. Marie, too, only it stayed Team Red -- lookit how close it was for Team Blue, though (and how many Team Purple/Almost Blue votes were in play) ...
Screenshot 2021-09-24 060049.jpg
... before the mail-in ballots were counted - and afterwards?
... At final count Sheehan collected 15,231 votes for 37.9 per cent and Spina ended up with 14,984 for 37.4 per cent ...
Also, on the PPC drift, one riding I heard some commentators talking about on various podcasts is worth noting. Michelle Rempel (Conservative - Calgary Nose Hill) went from just under 70% of the popular vote in her riding in 2019 ....
Rempel2019Results.jpg
... to not quite 56% this time around
Rempel2021Results.jpg
Wonder if we start hearing conspiracies about mail in votes...
Does this count? :D

Close one in Sault Ste. Marie, too, only it stayed Team Red -- lookit how close it was for Team Blue, though (and how many Team Purple/Almost Blue votes were in play) ...
View attachment 66602
... before the mail-in ballots were counted - and afterwards?

Also, on the PPC drift, one riding I heard some commentators talking about on various podcasts is worth noting. Michelle Rempel (Conservative - Calgary Nose Hill) went from just under 70% of the popular vote in her riding in 2019 ....
View attachment 66603
... to not quite 56% this time around
View attachment 66604

Does this count? :D
I'll allow it.

I would rather live in a very well laid out 1500 sq ft house, than a poorly designed 3000 sq ft house.
The problem is they don't build houses like this anymore. I've been looking for a house in the 1200ft-1500ft range but there are none available.
It's either buy a condo or buy a 3000ft square home on a tiny plot of land.
west-hills-vista.jpg

I always find this peculiar. Why people want such big houses on such tiny plots of land? I grew up in what used to be a Paper town. The Power Corporation of Canada owned the Mill at one time and built many of the Houses for the workers. It was what you would call, a true company town. Here is a picture:

Screenshot_20210924-071827_Maps.jpg
Some of these houses are around 100 years old, are modest in size but well maintained. I have looked for houses around this size but they just don't build them anymore. It's interesting because families are far smaller than they were in the past.

The problem is they don't build houses like this anymore. I've been looking for a house in the 1200ft-1500ft range but there are none available.
It's either buy a condo or buy a 3000ft square home on a tiny plot of land.
west-hills-vista.jpg

I always find this peculiar. Why people want such big houses on such tiny plots of land? I grew up in what used to be a Paper town. The Power Corporation of Canada owned the Mill at one time and built many of the Houses for the workers. It was what you would call, a true company town. Here is a picture:

View attachment 66605
Some of these houses are around 100 years old, are modest in size but well maintained. I have looked for houses around this size but they just don't build them anymore. It's interesting because families are far smaller than they were in the past.
Families didn’t need finished basements and rec rooms. Back then it was “get the eff outside and don’t come back until the street lights come on” and “take a dime with you to make a phone call if you get in trouble. It better be serious”

I watched a reno show today and laughed when the reno guy said "hmm, not even a double vanity".

Umm, ...really??

Contractors build what they think most people want, as demonstrated by what people are buying. There are two ways to get a simpler house: pay to have one built, or shop in neighbourhoods which were developed in the appropriate time frame. (The latter won't work very well in urban neighbourhoods in which a lot of older stock has been replaced by houses meant to fill the lot to whatever limits are in the by-laws.)

Families didn’t need finished basements and rec rooms. Back then it was “get the eff outside and don’t come back until the street lights come on” and “take a dime with you to make a phone call if you get in trouble. It better be serious”
I don't really think families need any of those things, the real estate industry has cleverly convinced them that they want them.

They've been aided and abetted by politicians and policy makers who give developers favorable zoning conditions.

I don't really think families need any of those things, the real estate industry has cleverly convinced them that they want them.

They've been aided and abetted by politicians and policy makers who give developers favorable zoning conditions.
That and a image they want to portray is very important

I watched a reno show today and laughed when the reno guy said "hmm, not even a double vanity".

Umm, ...really??
Double vanities have always puzzled me. Do people really spend that much time at the sink prettying themselves up that they can't share one? Even couples who have to go to work at the same time?

And don't get me started on walk-in closets the size of a bedroom. Do people really need that many clothes that they need a room all of their own?

:unsure:

And don't get me started on walk-in closets the size of a bedroom. Do people really need that many clothes that they need a room all of their own?
When did you retire from the CAF again? If I took out all my kit, it'd be 3 closets :sneaky:

To @Humphrey Bogart's question about 1200-1500 sqft townhouses, they're actually building tons of them in the NCR. I'm in one now - an older one, but I see them going up in the suburbs.

Double vanities have always puzzled me. Do people really spend that much time at the sink prettying themselves up that they can't share one? Even couples who have to go to work at the same time?

:unsure:
Need and want are two different things. I didn’t need a double garage but I sure did want one.

When did you retire from the CAF again? If I took out all my kit, it'd be 3 closets :sneaky:

To @Humphrey Bogart's question about 1200-1500 sqft townhouses, they're actually building tons of them in the NCR. I'm in one now - an older one, but I see them going up in the suburbs.
But it was probably a fight for the builder against all the monster home owners already there.

That and a image they want to portray is very important
I see this a lot in Victoria. People want a flashy car and a big house. I've got some friends like this who are Navy. They make a good salary but really don't have two pennies to rub together.

Having a wife that sells mortgages gives me some insight in to who has money and who is a pretender. 90% of the GP is up to their eyes in debt.

I don't think this is very common. What I have seen is developers buying single family homes and then turning the property in to a multi-unit. A developer just bought two single family homes across from me for around $600k each. They then had them rezoned to put 8 units on each one at $550k a piece. Crazy!

In my hood, they buy a single family home on a 60x100 lot, demolish it, build two triplexes (per zoning) and as soon as construction is complete, they discover that there's a non compliant fourth suite in each basement, and apply for the variance.

Migration from 100 to 33 foot lot frontages has been ongoing for decades. The few "character" (old, original) homes remaining exist only where they were built in the middle of the original 100 foot lots.

1970: 1600-1800 sq ft, unfinished or partially finished basement, single carport, one car (occasionally two), very few recreational vehicles and trailers (the latter mainly those small collapsible tent trailers and some Bolers), rooftop-transported canoes and skiffs, once-every-few-years family vacation to Disneyland Anaheim.

2020: 2800+ sq ft, fully finished, two- or three-bay enclosed garage full of bicycles and seasonal recreational equipment and stacks of totes and boxes full of "stuff", at least two cars plus a project car or truck or motorized RV, large camper trailers and boat trailers, once-every-couple-of-years family vacation to resorts in Hawaii, Mexico, or Mediterranean.

Obviously the federal government has to step in and hand out money to these poor people trying to get by.

Migration from 100 to 33 foot lot frontages has been ongoing for decades. The few "character" (old, original) homes remaining exist only where they were built in the middle of the original 100 foot lots.

1970: 1600-1800 sq ft, unfinished or partially finished basement, single carport, one car (occasionally two), very few recreational vehicles and trailers (the latter mainly those small collapsible tent trailers and some Bolers), rooftop-transported canoes and skiffs, once-every-few-years family vacation to Disneyland Anaheim.

2020: 2800+ sq ft, fully finished, two- or three-bay enclosed garage full of bicycles and seasonal recreational equipment and stacks of totes and boxes full of "stuff", at least two cars plus a project car or truck or motorized RV, large camper trailers and boat trailers, once-every-couple-of-years family vacation to resorts in Hawaii, Mexico, or Mediterranean.

Obviously the federal government has to step in and hand out money to these poor people trying to get by.
Smaller homes on larger lots would allow for more home gardens and even things like chickens lol. When I was living in a garden home with no yard I missed growing my own stuff.

Yep. After my parents bought the lot and built the house, next spring the garden and chicken coop went in.

Back