• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

Since we’re talking Nanny State restrictions on what kind of home I can have, shouldn’t we also consider restricting personal savings to either government bonds or stuffing cash in your mattress? Cars only with manual roll-up windows? Shovels only, no snow blowers?

Jesus, the Yorkshiremen have nothing on some of you! And to think that some people dared insinuate the government already interferes too much in legislating life…big pat on the back for everyone who grew up in a shoebox…I’ll stick with spend my money in as informed, or uniformed manner as I wish. Heck, someone going to complain that I have a riding mower instead of a scythe?

View attachment 66609

People can own whatever home they want to have and can afford. My comments earlier in the thread were more aimed at developers not really building anything that I actually want.

The choice here seems to be condo, townhouse or mansion. Only the mansions have an actual yard. The 1500ft 2 bedroom, + Den, Kitchen and Bathroom with yard for garden/shed or garage doesn't exist here.

I have been looking for freehold land for sometime but Victoria is in love with Strata and most land is owned by developers.

I am very content to live in a shoebox atm rather than be house poor and give my money to someone else. It isn't even a good idea to buy a house/condo as an income generating investment anymore as the margins aren't great and there is better value elsewhere.

People can own whatever home they want to have and can afford. My comments earlier in the thread were more aimed at developers not really building anything that I actually want.

The choice here seems to be condo, townhouse or mansion. Only the mansions have an actual yard. The 1500ft 2 bedroom, + Den, Kitchen and Bathroom with yard for garden/shed or garage doesn't exist here.

I have been looking for freehold land for sometime but Victoria is in love with Strata and most land is owned by developers.

I am very content to live in a shoebox atm rather than be house poor and give my money to someone else. It isn't even a good idea to buy a house/condo as an income generating investment anymore as the margins aren't great and there is better value elsewhere.

My neighbourhood still has active construction. Smallest detached home from our builder is a 1650!square foot bungalow on a 35’ x 100’ lot for about $850k.

To build the same house we built in 2017 is now $450k than it was then. From ~$555k to over $1m. Absolutely bananas. It’s a relatively large house, but that’s an >80% increase in four and a half years.

No idea what the hell other people in my generation who don’t already own are supposed to do. We were only able to do this due to the very early and untimely death of my wife’s parents, who themselves had bought in Vancouver when it was affordable.

You should be able to own a home off two decent incomes without relying on someone dying and leaving you money. But at >600k for even modest townhouses, good luck.

Well, good thing enough people made enough noise about the current situation for parliament to take action.

Democracy is a wonderful thing.
The Liberal childcare plan was better because it addressed the lack of supply by creating more spaces.

Their housing plan sucks because it increases demand without addressing supply, which is largely out of their hands. Talk to the municipal councillors in thrall of the NIMBY’s in their wards.

basic homes are few and far between. Developers don't offer a basic package within the construct itself and they don't offer a smaller construct when they market a new development. Consequently, many folks are shut out. Even condos and towns have 65,000 dollar kitchens when IKEA can supply the basics for 20
My frugal Scotch grandpa would appreciate the IKEA-ness of the basement I’m finishing on my own. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 💵

Their housing plan sucks because it increases demand without addressing supply, which is largely out of their hands. Talk to the municipal councillors in thrall of the NIMBY’s in their wards.
Sounds like our Ratepayers Association. Formally founded in 1929.

They are active in municipal and provincial politics.

Over 90 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress. < just kidding. Sort of.

Hmmm, is the writer attempting to say that Electoral Reform not being pursued by the Government was Monsef’s fault???
Monsef defeated Del Mastro’s replacement as Conservative candidate and three weeks later was sworn in as minister for democratic institutions with responsibility for two high-profile Trudeau campaign promises: Senate reform and a switch from traditional first-past-the-post elections to some form of proportional voting.

That did not go well. Monsef’s inexperience showed and the Liberal leadership has no stomach for using its majority to drive reform. Neither initiative happened and Monsef was shuffled to a more natural position
, minister for women and gender equality, where she found her stride and developed a strong international reputation.

Hmmm, is the writer attempting to say that Electoral Reform not being pursued by the Government was Monsef’s fault???
To mangle an old saying to fit this politically, poor is the critic that blames the tools for the craftsman's poor work.

Well, yes…selective frugality is a thing, BA! 😉

I’m low on Achentoshan at the moment, but otherwise methinks we have much in common. Betting there’s room for some Dalwhinnie, Oban and Laphroaig too. 😉

I was going to thumbs-up all except the last one - because the stuff generally available at the LCBO is akin to kerosene - but I've had some brought from the UK that was quite nice. I just started a bottle of Highland Park bought (by me) for my birthday. (y)

I was going to thumbs-up all except the last one - because the stuff generally available at the LCBO is akin to kerosene - but I've had some brought from the UK that was quite nice. I just started a bottle of Highland Park bought (by me) for my birthday. (y)

I like to take Laphroaig on my more 'excruciating' climbs.

A good swig of that at the end of the day reminds me that:

a) I'm still alive, and

b) Things could be worse... as in 'I could be drinking this year round, but I only drink it on expeditions' :)

The Liberal childcare plan was better because it addressed the lack of supply by creating more spaces.

How, exactly? I kept reading talking points about this but could never find out the "how" behind this claim?

HP is a greatly under appreciated scotch. The 12 is a great go to.

Back