• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

It does not have to change. And you have a point about being tired of the old team.

This current team is 7 years in. With three victories. In two years we might see another election. That will be 9 years with this team.

The other team though needs to tackle what Canadians want or offer alternatives. I believe that there are alternatives to the current climate plan. Admitting that there is one is the first step. Proposing a viable pan to tackle it is the next one. The problem is that there is a segment of the CPC that isn’t happy about even acknowledging that there is a problem.

The two biggest policy issues that had Canadians concerned was climate change and COVID. They flubbed on both. But they are at least keeping their base happy.
I think the NDP LPC supply agreement will be for at least 3 years.

The problem is that there is a segment of the CPC that isn’t happy about even acknowledging that there is a problem.

The two biggest policy issues that had Canadians concerned was climate change and COVID. They flubbed on both. But they are at least keeping their base happy.

And there is a segment in the LPC/NDP coalition that would see the entire 1st world burn in the name of climate change. How do you reconcile supporting that segment of the left by voting LPC?

And let's not pretend the present government handled the COVID situation well from the get go. The CPC would have handled that no worse but with less divisiveness.

And there is a segment in the LPC/NDP coalition that would see the entire 1st world burn in the name of climate change. How do you reconcile supporting that segment of the left by voting LPC?

And let's not pretend the present government handled the COVID situation well from the get go. The CPC would have handled that no worse but with less divisiveness.
I didn’t vote LPC. I’ve already voiced my displeasure at the current LPC plan. I think there are more viable solutions that I believe I’ve mentioned before. The issue though is a segment of the CPC and that base don’t even want to acknowledge the issue to begin with and are not happy with O’toole’s direction on this.

You miss the point on the CPC and their stance on COVID and more specifically vaccinations. O’toole’s critical mistake in the last election was associating himself with Kenney. That and refusing to mandate vaccines or status of his own party. And with the current Glaidu “caucus” thing, they haven’t really helped their cause.

This current team is 7 years in. With three victories. In two years we might see another election. That will be 9 years with this team.

Harper had 3 victories and 9 years, and historically Liberals have governed for more time than Conservatives. Too early to be wringing hands or ringing bells.

I suppose most people only know about what they read in the news.

I'm old-fashioned and still subscribe to a major Canadian newspaper.

Maybe that puts me in the minority these days.

If the narrative continues that the Conservatives are divided, they don't have any chance of forming for example a majority government, or even a government… Because if a party does not support its leader or a party is divided, it basically is a big signal to average voters that that party is not ready to govern,” Nanos said in the latest episode of CTV News’ podcast Trend Line.

The latest question of O’Toole’s leadership comes as new polling data indicates that the percentage of Canadians who view O’Toole as their preferred prime minister has taken a post-campaign hit, dropping the most of all party leaders since the federal election.

The latest preferred prime minister rankings show that O’Toole is tied with NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh with 20.7 per cent of those surveyed saying they would be their top pick to lead the country. Support for O’Toole has dropped 6.8 per cent since the 2021 election, while Singh’s is down 0.9 per cent.

Nick Offerman Popcorn GIF by NBC

He needs to kick out a few more. This sends a strong signal.
Thinking back on this, I do find it curious.

MPs going to create a pro anti vax caucus, crickets.

Anyone who challenges his leadership, they get the boot.

Priorities.

Thinking back on this, I do find it curious.

MPs going to create a pro anti vax caucus, crickets.

Anyone who challenges his leadership, they get the boot.

Priorities.
He’s being tested. Gladu came out after and retracted a lot of the weirder stuff she said. Guaranteed she was told to do that or else. And she and others were kept out of critic positions. I see this as an escalation. Don’t be surprised if someone else gets the boot at some point.

Why do we continue to ignore Harpers time?
I recall Mr. Harper putting a lid on the far-right fringe with an iron glove. He knew if he didn’t, the Liberals would govern for another generation. Social conservatives were apoplectic that he didn’t ban abortions on day one of his first minority and that he invited David Emerson to join his cabinet. His leadership makes O’Toole look like a warm and fuzzy camp councillor.

Unfortunately, he made mistakes that made him less appealing than Trudeau in 2015.

I recall Mr. Harper putting a lid on the far-right fringe with an iron glove. He knew if he didn’t, the Liberals would govern for another generation. Social conservatives were apoplectic that he didn’t ban abortions on day one of his first minority and that he invited David Emerson to join his cabinet. His leadership makes O’Toole look like a warm and fuzzy camp councillor.

Unfortunately, he made mistakes that made him less appealing than Trudeau in 2015.

I maintain Harper is one our best modern PMs.

Hated by the media of course, but an excellent PM.

So what your saying is that Harper did such a good job the Liberals have been in power since 2015, and will likely stay there until 2023 at least: 8 years.

Damning with faint praise, indeed!

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

Harper's chief unforgivable sin was to eliminate a hockey sock of nickel-and-dime niche programs ("rice bowls"). Not far behind was setting objectives that did not match the public service's view of the world. He lacked panache. Harper and Flaherty working together were particularly adept during the 2008 recession and recovery. Good grey government is not as popular as flash and style and comforting words.

Harper's chief unforgivable sin was to eliminate a hockey sock of nickel-and-dime niche programs ("rice bowls"). Not far behind was setting objectives that did not match the public service's view of the world. He lacked panache. Harper and Flaherty working together were particularly adept during the 2008 recession and recovery. Good grey government is not as popular as flash and style and comforting words lies.
FTFY

Hard to see how this party is not turning into a shyte show.

I'm glad to see the whole party doesn't fold to the whim of the leader over the suggestion of a leadership review.

I'm glad to see the whole party doesn't fold to the whim of the leader over the suggestion of a leadership review.
On the flip side, do you really need a leadership review when the party is continually undermining the party message to support fringe elements?

People don't trust the official party line on pro-choice, climate change and some other key issues specifically because of vocal support for the opposite of that by seniour people and significant segments of the base. No one really trusts politicians, but when even the party is internally inconsistent, it's not really helping your cause, and loses all kinds of swing voters. None of the partie's core base is enough to form a government, but the current CPC is pretty adept at actively alienating anyone on the fence.

And O'Toole's flip flops are helping that how? Seems like a good time for a leadership review.

Edit to add: a solid leader would face this review head on and win (or lose). Not banish and treat like dissidents those who raised the issue.

To an extent I can agree with this. It’s a valid argument.

However it certainly seems like she was just being used as a mouthpiece for others given her relative secure position as a senator. Instead of being cowards the real people behind this should come out and state their case.

Probably about time to just pull off the bandaid and reverse the 2003 Alliance and PC deal, and just move forward as the progressive and SOCON entities separately…

And O'Toole's flip flops are helping that how? Seems like a good time for a leadership review.

Edit to add: a solid leader would face this review head on and win (or lose). Not banish and treat like dissidents those who raised the issue.
A leadership review automatically happens at their next party convention. Why the early review and challenge?

Back