• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

"I've also seen a site on the internet (I'll refrain from the link in case it's against board rules to mention) which is offering paid memberships to study guides designed to help you pass the CFAT. They charge $99 and it's $49 until Sept 11th (Ironically the day of my test) Do you think it's worth my while to get a tutor? Pay for the online course? Both?"  :facepalm:

Its a huge waste of $50. play IQ tests instead or get a math help book from a library or do on-line math quiz's!

Got the message a little too late. It may be a waste, it may not. We'll see. I had $50 burning a hole in my PayPal account so I paid for the subscription. I'll come back later and chime in with my opinion on whether it was a waste or not.  I've also just finished setting up 3 hours of tutoring this weekend.
This is important to me. More important than the money I'm spending to prep.
I do not want to fail. I recognize I'm at a disadvantage here.

I'll post back later with how things went.

If you are not strong at math, I fail to see how you will do really well in an I.Q. test.  Usually solid math is a prerequisite for scoring high.  Nonetheless, I will post the practice test.  I am sure this is probably the umptenth time this has been posted, but oh well.  If you are confident with this test then you will be fine.  If you are not, then you might want to double check the I.Q. tests that you have been doing.

http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/preparing_for_aptitude_test_en.pdf

It's not rocket science. Those online study guide things are a cash grab... but all the power to you if you think it'll help you pass.

Multiplication, Division, Addition and Subtraction of Fractions.

BAM! done.

The rest of the CFAT is a cake walk.

Just got home from doing my aptitude test.
There were 5 others there in addition to myself.
Everyone said they studied the night before and did the practices online.

Myself... I paid the $50 for the online study guide, & hired a tutor on the weekend to refresh my memory on all this manual math I haven't done in years. He was very helpful (Phil in the list above)

In my opinion, I could've saved the money on the tutor and just watched YouTube videos instead. Oh well. It didn't occur to me at the time. I wouldn't call it a waste, but it wasn't really needed.

I got the most return on my online study guide which I found pretty helpful and good practice.

I felt confident on all areas but STILL a little anxiety about the math.

So this morning I go in and the test begins. Immediately I find myself saying "Whoa, what? These are harder than I expected! In the math area I found myself thinking "Thank god I practiced doing this without a calculator all weekend."
BUT what caused me to panic was when I heard "1 minute left!" and I still had X questions to go.
I thought I'd been moving at a decent pace but I should've been spending less time per question & skipping ones that didn't come to me easily to come back to later. I wasn't even watching the timer because I was so sure I was making good time.

Out of our group I think only one of us answered every question on the test without missing any.

While waiting for results we all stared at each other in disbelief and agreed... "That was harder than expected." and that "The online sample is in serious need of updating to be a more accurate representation of the test"

We're forbidden from talking about the details of the test but I got the feeling they were trying some new things out. I could be wrong. Just a few clues to that.

I'm glad I studied and prepared as much as I did. It paid off.
I passed.
I feel that if I personally didn't take the steps I did, I may not have. Although I have no way to know for certain.

Anyways just reporting back like I said I would.

My medical is in a couple days and my physical is 2 days after that.

Woohoo!  ;D

Jay H. said:
While waiting for results we all stared at each other in disbelief and agreed... "That was harder than expected."
Great, now we're going to have even more posters on suicide watch.  :not-again:

I've been here before quite abit (sorry for repeating myself) but i took the tests at military.com and my math score varies from 60% to 80 % (depending on which test i took) i was never the best at math and never took math in my last two years of high school (i got it out of the way right away) i did fail my first aptitude test ( i wanted to be a vehicle tech, i was only eligible for mobile support, infantry , and cook unfortunately my eye sight isn't the best and cook is the only thing i could go in) i work better with my hands than i do with a pen and paper, i under stand that math is a big part in  the Canadian forces ( once i learn something and keep doing it, it sticks to me), but to make a long story short how high do you need to get to become a vehicle tech? I was talking to a officer and he said he thought you didn't need to get that high on the app test to become a vehicle tech. Any one have any idea on this situation

SORRY FOR THE LONG PARAGRAPH

You need to talk to a Recruiter to get the specifics you are looking for.

Regarding spelling, aptitude tests, etc. - failing to hit "shift" in order to properly capitalize an "I" is not a spelling mistake, it is a lack of effort. You already acknowledged a run-on paragraph. Sure you're on an internet message board, but you're asking professionals questions about your career. Surely you could muster the effort to put forth the questions in a manner that demonstrates your willingness to do and be the best?

Talk to a Recruiter. Always put forth the effort, even in the little things.

Locked.

Army.ca Staff

Hey guys,
I did my CFAT in july, but unfortunately i failed it in problem solving . I will be writing my CFAT again soon. but Im kinda scared and dont want to fail it again. Ive never been a math person, thats partly why im a political science student. if anyone has any tips to help me prepare for it, i would greatly appreciate it.

noushy88 said:
Hey guys,
I did my CFAT in july, but unfortunately i failed it in problem solving . I will be writing my CFAT again soon. but Im kinda scared and dont want to fail it again. Ive never been a math person, thats partly why im a political science student. if anyone has any tips to help me prepare for it, i would greatly appreciate it.

Tip 1
use the search function at the top

Tip 2
use google

Buy a math textbook and study?  Being that you state you are a uni. student I imagine you are applying for an officer position.  SHOULD you ever get in....I certainly hope you approach potential problems such as this with a little more common sense.

noushy88 said:
Hey guys,

I as well am in the process of re-writing the test, i didn't fail the test per say i didn't make the mark of the trade i wanted to get into. But i bought the ASVAB for Dummies, i found that helped a lot, go to your public library and find some aptitude test books.

noushy88 said:
Hey guys,

Practise some more problem solving questions off Google (and then compare solutions). Repeat with different types of questions and problems.

You're not a "math person" because you never tried enough. I know because I was once just like you.

"Practise" does NOT mean 90 minutes of google search. Sit down and learn. It may take hours or days depending on how behind you are from the standards. Don't study just to pass the CFAT. Put in the effort to learn it. The problem solving sections are simple enough that you may require this skill at some point in your career with the CF or elsewhere.

Political science is a joke, math is the language of the universe.

Just practice.

Occam, touche.

This may or may not help, but I sent this to multiple people in the past trying to get ready for the CFAT. With hopes that it helps you:

Link 1:
http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/test-examen/gct2-ecg2/q-index-eng.php

Link 2, click on "Spacial Ability", then "download". You can check out some of the other ones too.
http://www.psychometric-success.com/downloads/download-practice-tests.htm

Link 3:
http://www.wiziq.com/online-tests/30369-general-aptitude-test-for-all-comptitions

Now, here is an example of what NOT to expect:
http://www.analyzemath.com/high_school_math/grade_11/algebra.html

And here is what you CAN expect:

http://www.mystfx.ca/special/mathproblems/grade10.html

Good luck!

Back