• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

I went in to my local RC the other day to drop off some papers for my file when they started talking to me about my previous CFAT. They said that when I did it 7 years ago, I failed to make the med tech position. They also said that considering I was in high school at the time and that I clearly went on to further educate myself 7 years later, that they'd either make me do the test again now or consider giving me a waiver.

My question, does anyone have any experience or knowledge surrounding how the waivers work?

Chances are, you will have to re-write the CFAT and also the TSD.

Start studying.......

Treemoss said:
What exactly is the TSD? I've never heard of that one heh.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/109056.0

It is in essence a personality test..

Treemoss said:
I went in to my local RC the other day to drop off some papers for my file when they started talking to me about my previous CFAT. They said that when I did it 7 years ago, I failed to make the med tech position. They also said that considering I was in high school at the time and that I clearly went on to further educate myself 7 years later, that they'd either make me do the test again now or consider giving me a waiver.

My question, does anyone have any experience or knowledge surrounding how the waivers work?

CFAT Waivers are incredibly rare but do exist.

I work with a former CWO who was commissioned to Captain.  After several years, he transferred to the Primary Reserves, and because of his commissioning plan, reverted to CWO.  For him to become a captain again, he had to write the CFAT.  Although he had already done the job for several years, a waiver would not be entertained.

KerryBlue said:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/109056.0

It is in essence a personality test..

Ahhh, k that makes sense. I wonder why I would have to do one though x.x

Shamrock said:
CFAT Waivers are incredibly rare but do exist.

I work with a former CWO who was commissioned to Captain.  After several years, he transferred to the Primary Reserves, and because of his commissioning plan, reverted to CWO.  For him to become a captain again, he had to write the CFAT.  Although he had already done the job for several years, a waiver would not be entertained.

That sucks... wishful thinking I guess hah.

Treemoss said:
Ahhh, k that makes sense. I wonder why I would have to do one though x.x

I believe everyone has to do the personality test now. Not specifically you lol.

Goose15 said:
I believe everyone has to do the personality test now. Not specifically you lol.

Yep it's part of initial processing. No longer is everyone guaranteed a medical or interview, instead using your CFAT score, TSD and resume/volunteer expirence/etc... you have to be specially selected for further processing. 

Depends on what you studied.  Back in the day, we granted waivers to people that were trade or professionally qualified.  For example if you were a Nurse, with three years experience, applied, failed the CFAT, waiver granted. (Kind of dumb to tell you don't have the aptitude to be a Nurse when you are in fact one).  waivers were also given to officer applicants with degrees if they failed from time to time.  saw it for mechanics who had their papers.  Things like that.

But the policies do change at the speed of business.

You may have been confused with the rewrite policy which they will grant if you upgraded your education.

KerryBlue said:
Yep it's part of initial processing. No longer is everyone guaranteed a medical or interview, instead using your CFAT score, TSD and resume/volunteer expirence/etc... you have to be specially selected for further processing.

Oh really? That is interesting I was not aware of this; it makes sense though. Do you know how new this policy is by chance? I got past this particular phase so I didn't even consider the fact it may not be guaranteed (as long as you passed the CFAT of course).

There is a 20 page thread on all things CFAT here http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/23193.475  start reading. I am not merging, since it's already long, and obvious people don't read it.

Hatchet Man
Army.ca Staff

Hello. Well I have been studying for my cfat I came upon a website cfatready.ca I believe it's a scam to getting some extra $. Does anyone on the forms ever used this service ?

Young416 said:
Hello. Well I have been studying for my cfat I came upon a website cfatready.ca I believe it's a scam to getting some extra $. Does anyone on the forms ever used this service ?

I have no idea on the site but I lost any interest in checking further once I read on the main page "Pass the CFAT".  I never knew it was a pass or fail test. 

Young416 said:
Exactly! That's what caught my attention

Then, with all that having been said I think it's safe to say you can save your money and still do well on the test.  Heck, you may even score "Officer" with those powers of deduction.  lol 

Good luck with the real CFAT when the time comes.  If you Google you will find copies of a practice CFAT out there.

Young416 said:

Why pay money to them, when you can buy a subscription here at Army.ca and get better advice -------->  http://army.ca/subscribe/

Such as.....see this post ---->  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/107882/post-1292655#msg1292655

My personal experience with it was positive.

I used CFAT Ready and math.com to study and I feel like it made a difference.  I can't really say how it compares to other resources that may be out there though.

I write my cfat this Tuesday and while reviewing I came upon this practice exam http://www.4tests.com/asvab  I think this is a pretty good practice exam to help with problem solving questions. It gives you a question, do it, select your answer then when you click show answer it shows you the correct answer and explains how to do it. Seems legit to me.

Good luck to everyone, hope this helps.  :salute:

PS Before you click "Start the exam" deselect questions regarding stuff like auto and shop information or electronics information... unless you want to know things like how oil leaks occur.

Im booked for the 15th of april. Now they didnt specifiy if it will be aptitude/physical/interview all in one or not As ive not had any of the above mentioned done. But in the confirmation email they said it was from 10am-1pm. Does it normally go for 3 hours just for aptitude or should I bring PT clothes for physical just incase and should I be dressed for an interview just in case as well? Ive emailed and called back to get more confirmation and patiently waiting a response, but would like to k ow if anyone here has extra information.

thanks

Back