• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

CFAT is conducted in a supervised and controlled environment and within a CFRC to protect the integrity of the exam as there is a nondisclosure agreement that is signed.

Get a cab? Bike? Walk? Hitchhike? Getting to a recruiting center is the first test you need to pass to enroll in the CAF.

PuckChaser said:
Get a cab? Bike? Walk? Hitchhike? Getting to a recruiting center is the first test you need to pass to enroll in the CAF.

...or any job interview.

I recruited from a very remote area.  The recruiting centre paid for me to travel for my testing, interviews, etc. While I realize this was some time ago, it may still be an option.

Like the above said, the CFAT can only be written at the RC.

There must be some way you can get there... And yes they pay your transportation money. It's calculated based on where you come from, and the cheapest method of transportation. (They will only give you bus fare if you have access to a route, regardless if you drove or bussed. )

I drove an hour each way to get to the rc and was given around 80 bucks for mileage. I'm not sure how far you are away but this will still exist. I read recently (less than 3 months ago) that one applicant was getting his hotel paid for by the caf.

Do you want to swear in and do your interview, and medical via Skype?

You must have a family member/friend who can either drive you or lend you a car. My mother would always car pool with a co worker and lend me the van. Hell one day I even paid a friend $100 to drive me to a course using my moms van.

You must write in person, for a variety of reasons.  If you are some distance away, you will be reimbursed.  There are no exceptions to this.

Locked.

HM

Hey,

So I wrote the CFAT years ago when I was 18 or 19 and failed. Now years later, I'm still trying to get into Infantry. I called recruiter today and he says I have to come in and convince career counselor why I should be able to write it again...I wrote this when I was a kid..now Im a man...the one thing that motivates me to write again...is the recruiter today told me that I JUST fell short my first time...thats good news I guess, I was close to passing for Infantry the first time around...my math and spatila reasoning sucks, but my English is excellent..this is my last chance Im sure, and I'll make the most of it....I just find it hard to believe MATH is what's in the way of my dream...Im big, muscular, full of courage and hardly any fear....but I cant get to the next stage after all these years because i dont know how fast a speeding train goes. :(

Anyone? Is Infantry typically a competitive position? I want in, and Ill beat others to get there...just dont ask me math questions :)

Taking a look at the structure, grammar, spelling etc. of your post, you're lying about being good at English as well.

Believe it or not, there is a minimum requirement of each category tested in the CFAT for every trade. Yes, believe it or not, the Infantry no longer just looks for big, muscular oafs who just want to shoot and blow stuff up. They want educated, smart, well rounded people too. You can have all the strength and courage in the world, but if you math is so terrible that you can't even get into the infantry with your combined score... Maybe you need to look at going back to school?

You want to beat others to get it? Start with your math. They'll take everyone with better math competence than your muscle and courage any day. Muscle, fearlessness and Courage can be taught and created through the CAF training system, but a basic understanding of arithmetic is your responsibility to have before you join.

Just the cold hard truth.

Edit: Yes, all combat arms trades are competitive because with the end of the Afghanistan campaign, budget cuts, there are too many infanteers and tankers etc. Than there is a need for so there are hundreds of people competing for a handful of positions... A friend of mine got into the infantry as an NCM last year after 2 years of waiting and he has a degree in Biomechanical Engineering. Some food for thought.

A few tips for the math that worked for me :

1) Learn it because you actually want to understand it, not because you want to fake your way pass the test. 

2) Start with running through some long division, and multiplication, by hand... Over and over, create random questions on a piece of paper and then smash them out one after the other.  It sucks, but just do it.  Then move onto fractions, algebra, trig, etc etc etc.  It's the repeated repetitions, trying to fly through questions, without a calculator, that will build memory and skill. 

It seems annoying but a month or two of it will pay off I promise. 

Lastly, there exists ample resources online and on the App Store.  Make use of them. 

Best of luck.  If you care enough you will improve your math skills drastically in the next few months.  Worth it in the long run.

Yes, all combat arms trades are competitive because with the end of the Afghanistan campaign, budget cuts, there are too many infanteers and tankers etc. Than there is a need for so there are hundreds of people competing for a handful of positions... A friend of mine got into the infantry as an NCM last year after 2 years of waiting and he has a degree in Biomechanical Engineering. Some food for thought.

Was your friend waiting for a CT? or was he actually going through the process as a civilian. Also how much of his time was spent going through the application process, and how much of it was spent on the actual merit list?

And to the OP, I also have terrible, lower then remedial level understanding of math.

But when it comes to the math portion of the CFAT (problem solving) all that matters is to be prepared. Just simply look through the CFAT thread on this site, and practice the type of math that comes up on it. I cannot go into details, but the math which you will find on the CFAT thread and the practice test is similar to the math on test....

All you have to do is spend time maybe 30-45min a day practicing your math, and in no time you will be able to ace the test.

Emilio said:
Was your friend waiting for a CT? or was he actually going through the process as a civilian. Also how much of his time was spent going through the application process, and how much of it was spent on the actual merit list?

And to the OP, I also have terrible, lower then remedial level understanding of math.

But when it comes to the math portion of the CFAT (problem solving) all that matters is to be prepared. Just simply look through the CFAT thread on this site, and practice the type of math that comes up on it. I cannot go into details, but the math which you will find on the CFAT thread and the practice test is similar to the math on test....

All you have to do is spend time maybe 30-45min a day practicing your math, and in no time you will be able to ace the test.

Total, start to finish. Not that it matters.

There is already a 24 page FAQ on the CFAT, covering everthing you could possibly need to know.  Start reading.

Locked.

HM

Hello.

I went to write my CFAT this morning, at my local recruitment office, and for the first time they asked me if I had written an aptitude test for any part of the military, regular or reserve at any point in time. When I was in high school in 2000, I tried to gain entry into a military co-op with the Grey & Simcoe Foresters. At that time I did badly on the test, and was told that the only position I qualified for was as an airline attendant.

High school was difficult for me, and when I graduated I was glad to be done. I did not get the best marks, actually I missed one OAC preventing me from getting into university, but I did get high enough marks to get into the college of my choice. Since then I have graduated with 9 (not a typo) different degrees, diplomas and certificates. 4 diplomas (3 2year diplomas and 1 3 year diploma) 3 certificates (2 undergrad certificates and 1 post grad certificate), 1 professional designation with the Canadian Payroll Association, and a degree in Administration. 6 diplomas and certificates with honours (over 80%) degree (over 75%).

I have been told that the recruitment center requires my original aptitude test to review, and they said that I might have made the grade to get into the officer careers that I want (#1 Logistics, #2 Health Care Administrator, #3 Air Combat Systems Officer).

My four main questions are:
1) Has the CFAT changed in the last 14 years
2) If it has changed how, will my results be different
3) in prior posts when people discuss this issue they suggest doing well in post secondary, as you can see from above I have done this, will this allow me to retake the test.
4) do I have anything to worry about, in regards to this issue

Any insight will be appreciated.

Anten33 said:
Hello.

I went to write my CFAT this morning, at my local recruitment office, and for the first time they asked me if I had written an aptitude test for any part of the military, regular or reserve at any point in time. When I was in high school in 2000, I tried to gain entry into a military co-op with the Grey & Simcoe Foresters. At that time I did badly on the test, and was told that the only position I qualified for was as an airline attendant.

High school was difficult for me, and when I graduated I was glad to be done. I did not get the best marks, actually I missed one OAC preventing me from getting into university, but I did get high enough marks to get into the college of my choice. Since then I have graduated with 9 (not a typo) different degrees, diplomas and certificates. 4 diplomas (3 2year diplomas and 1 3 year diploma) 3 certificates (2 undergrad certificates and 1 post grad certificate), 1 professional designation with the Canadian Payroll Association, and a degree in Administration. 6 diplomas and certificates with honours (over 80%) degree (over 75%).

I have been told that the recruitment center requires my original aptitude test to review, and they said that I might have made the grade to get into the officer careers that I want (#1 Logistics, #2 Health Care Administrator, #3 Air Combat Systems Officer).

My four main questions are:
1) Has the CFAT changed in the last 14 years
2) If it has changed how, will my results be different
3) in prior posts when people discuss this issue they suggest doing well in post secondary, as you can see from above I have done this, will this allow me to retake the test.
4) do I have anything to worry about, in regards to this issue

Any insight will be appreciated.

1)  Yes, it has changed in the last 14 years
2)  Chances are your results from 2000 may not be convertable to the new scoring matrix
3)  You're probably going to have to retake the test anyhow
4)  Make sure you study Gr 10/Gr 11 math.

Good luck!

Thank you DAA for your quick response.

If as you say:
2)  Chances are your results from 2000 may not be convertable to the new scoring matrix
3)  You're probably going to have to retake the test anyhow

Why do they require to review my previous test before I write the new test? Why could they not just let me write my CFAT today?

Anten33

I wrote the CFAT in 2002 and only had to redo a section of it when I re-applied in April.  The rest of my scores were kept.

I also wrote a CFAT in 2002, and in May was told that my scores qualified me for all 3 of my trade choices...  :nod:

Anten33 said:
Thank you DAA for your quick response.

If as you say:
Why do they require to review my previous test before I write the new test? Why could they not just let me write my CFAT today?

Anten33

It's standard to review and verify prior test scores if you have done it already, and if it was that long ago those scores need to be retrieved manually.

And to the other two (and anyone else who reads this),  if you don't actually have INSIGHT into WHY a decision may have been made, we generally prefer your refrain from posting for the sake of posting.

Back