• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

Well, I aced the practice test. I think I will have a go at the IQ tests also.

I have my CFAT tomorrow and am having trouble with one question on the practice test. I have studied GED material (I haven't done math since grade 10 and I am almost 30), but cannot figure out how to answer this one question.

It is - How many soldiers are there in a group of 27 sailors and soldiers if there are 4/5ths as many sailors as soliders.

I keep coming up with 6 (as 80% or 4/5ths of 27 is 21 leaving 6) so obviously I a missing an important step because the answer is 15.

Does anyone know how these types of questions are done?

Thanks,

missmague said:
I have my CFAT tomorrow and am having trouble with one question on the practice test. I have studied GED material (I haven't done math since grade 10 and I am almost 30), but cannot figure out how to answer this one question.

It is - How many soldiers are there in a group of 27 sailors and soldiers if there are 4/5ths as many sailors as soliders.

I keep coming up with 6 (as 80% or 4/5ths of 27 is 21 leaving 6) so obviously I a missing an important step because the answer is 15.

Does anyone know how these types of questions are done?

Thanks,

That exact question has already been asked and SOLVED on this site.

The question asks the number of soldiers in comparison to the number of sailors, not to the total of the two.  So since there are 4/5ths as many sailors as soldiers and the total number is 27, I would do the question by the process of elimination.  I would start with 13 sailors and 14 soldiers(since 27 can't be divided in half, needs to be a whole number).  Is there any number that will divide into both 13 and 14 evenly?  NO.  OK then 12 sailors and 15 soldiers.  Wait a minute, 3 divides into 12 (4), and 3 divides into 15 (5) and theres the answer.  Look at the two answers 4 and 5, 4/5ths.  12 sailors is 4/5ths the number of soldiers(15).
I know that is not necessarily a straight forward answer, so if there are any mathemologists out there with a better method, please share.

Gazoo.

x will be the number of soldiers.

Start with
x + (4/5 x) = 27
Then, to use the same terms,
(5/5 x) + (4/5 x) = 27
So
(9/5 x) = 27
27/9 = 3
So 1/5 x = 3
(3)(5) = 15

Hope this helps.

Sorry CDN Aviator - I didn't see this question already answered.

Thanks guys for the answers. I was misunderstanding the question - 4 stands for the sailors and 5 for the soliders. I was thinking about it differently.

Hope this helps with my test tomorrow  ;D

if you can pick up a grade 4 homeschooling curriculum pack at coles and work on that math - you are good to go.  no lie.  All the math issues I had with fractions, decimals, patterns the workbook REALLY helped.  They also have nets (spatial) that you can study.  You'd be cramming mind you, but I found it worthwhile.

Thanks Lil-T

I have been studying with a GED book - the math portion only. So I have reviewed the fractions, decimals, ratios, etc.

I haven't studied anything else - my verbal I believe is decent enough and well the spatial I assumed there was no way to study for that - and think it might be a little too late for me now!! I did them all right on the practice test so I hope that is enough help.

Wish me luck  :D

missmague said:
Sorry CDN Aviator - I didn't see this question already answered.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/81470/post-787405.html#msg787405

Reply #39

There's already enough info here about the CFAT. We don't need another thread, especially on something already covered.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hi, I recently wrote my CFAT test and was told that I had done very well, and was offered a position as a reserve officer. I have since dropped out of university and am joining the reg. force. What I would like to know is if those CFAT scores are now useless, or if they may be consulted later on when I am in line for a promotion. Thank you for any insight.

Adam

Depending on how recent the result was, the CFRC may refer to them in your new application process.

As for affecting later promotion, no.  Those results will not be available to unit or (later) career management personnel.

As I just wrote the actual CFAT yesterday, I can tell you while the practice test gives you a good idea of the types of questions on the CFAT, the actual CFAT is much more difficult than the practice test.

I was wondering if it would be harder! I thought the practice test was a bit tame. So the IQ tests are a good way to go, using the practice test as a reference for the types of questions? I'm trying to get back in touch with the recruiting center about a date for the test, so I want to get some work done on that. It's the fist thing I'm doing, and I'm glad because I'm good at tests. The math should be fine (right now I'm taking calculus, so yeah), and I'm good with English, the only thing I might have trouble with is the spatial reasoning when it comes to cylinders! I'll go try some IQ tests though. Thanks for the tip!

This test scares me to shits.
I'm a smart person, I had good grades, but when it comes to math, I fail. No question about it.
Ask me to write a 1000 word essay, I will. Ask me to do a math problem, I will stare at the problem without finding a solution. I would probably find one if I had more then 1 minute per question, but that's not the case!
You guys have any math excercises sites or something where I could pratice ?

Azizti said:
I'm a smart person, I had good grades, but when it comes to math, I fail. No question about it.
Ask me to write a 1000 word essay, I will. Ask me to do a math problem, I will stare at the problem without finding a solution. I would probably find one if I had more then 1 minute per question, but that's not the case!

Perhaps the links that were provided in this thread will help.

Azizti said:

Hmmm, difficult problems and limited time = "scares me to shit".  Sounds like the military is a good place for you.

kincanucks said:
Hmmm, difficult problems and limited time = "scares me to crap".  Sounds like the military is a good place for you.

It's a figure of speech... Not to be taken literally.
And I'm talking about sit down, math problems.
I do not have a problem with real life crisis situations. I have learnt to keep my cool.

Azizti,

If you're unsure about your math skills then you might want to put off writing the CFAT and practice until you're confident you can succeed.  If you write and don't make the minimum score for the trade you're interested in, it's not only unpleasant personally but potentially career limiting in the long term (particularly if you want to change to another trade later that requires a higher CFAT score).

Try reviewing the links on the CFAT page, they're very useful and will give you a good idea of where you stand. Take a look at some courses that are available at either the high school or college level which are designed to improve math skills.

Finally, why not consider a tutor? Explain to him or her that you need practice in test writing. There's practically an entire industry dedicated to improving math skills - esp. for test taking purposes.

Good luck

Back