• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces feeling strain over 2010 security

Anyone know if there is plans to bring troops form 5 CMBG and LFAA out for this?

dapaterson said:
Apparently we sat in on different briefings...

From the supply standpoint it seems as though this won't be an issue, it only means we will be away from home for 3-4 months once we deploy to the Op. I still don't see how it is a strain.  We train (as usual), we prep (as usual) and we deploy within Canada (for many as usual) I understand as an Infantry stand point the training may be different and more intense, however my briefing indicated we will be there as a just in case option, the RCMP is taking the brunt of the security effort. From what we were told we would most likely be in one of 4 places (I believe), Edmonton, Chilliwack, Abbotsford, or Comox. Other than JTF2, I haven't heard anything about any patrols being sent out by the CF. But, I'm just a Supply Tech, so what do I know.

1.  With 4K military pers, we aren't a "just in case option" - we will be an integral part of the security efforts, performing a variety of roles.

2.  Right now, the Army has 9essentially) 2.5K deployed, twice that returned in the past year, and about 1 1/2 times that prepping to deploy.  That's over 11K pers tied up to support Afghanistan; depending on ranks and trades and skillsets needed for Olympic security that may strain things tremendously.

3.  For those with DWAN access, look at the Army Homepage, select CLS, then look at a G3 update to get a sense of what is currently planned for deployment / support.

On a tangent to point 3:  I'd argue than everyone, MCpl on up, should familiarize themselves with the Army G3 monthly updates - it's a great way to understand what's going on in the larger army, and to see what's coming down the pipe.

dapaterson I'll try and check that out tomorrow when I get into work. I specifically recall the CDS mentioning that we aren't playing a lead role in this, and that we were going to be there as a minor player. From the supply stand point, we have the ability to supply from close and from far, and we will have many stay here in Edmonton to support the Op, as well as having those in the Vancouver area.

Chapeski said:
From the supply stand point,

For many of us, the standpoint will be much different. You have your little piece of the job but theres much more to it.

Chapeski said:
............. The boots on the ground portion isn't going to be a strain.
Chapeski said:
.............. But, I'm just a Supply Tech, so what do I know.

4,000 troops for General Duties would not be a strain.  Unfortunately, we are not talking about GDs.  We are looking at 4,000 troops with very specialized skill sets, whose Trades are already finding themselves very strained to maintain such a commitment, and the commitments that follow. 

Chapeski said:
dapaterson I'll try and check that out tomorrow when I get into work. I specifically recall the CDS mentioning that we aren't playing a lead role in this, and that we were going to be there as a minor player. From the supply stand point, we have the ability to supply from close and from far, and we will have many stay here in Edmonton to support the Op, as well as having those in the Vancouver area.

"Not the lead" - true.  RCMP is the overall lead for security.  But with 4K plus on the ground, we'll be anything but a "minor player".  Many things we do will not necessarily be seen on TV, but will fulfil important roles and crucial tasks just the same.

I'm not sure why a post on helos for the Olympics got turned into a discussion for supply or troops?  After all, this section is for Air Force and in particular "Rotor Heads".

Cyclones are being bought to replace the Sea Kings, not the Griffon.  Thus the comment that they are not Tactical Helicopters.  Also, cyclones will not be ready in time for Van 2010.  I was just responding to geo stating that they possibly could be used for the Olympics.  

Note that I already said that other a/c types would be used.  However, the Griffon will have its specific roles and locations, just as other a/c will.  I will not discuss roles or locations due to security reasons, but other a/c will be involved in the Olympics.  That is a given.

We no longer have 100 Griffons.  Some were sold off/given away when a force rationalization was done a couple years back.  We went down to 85.  Some are in Afg and the rest are in Canada.  There are more than enough Griffons in the fleet to support both the Olympics and Afg.  However, as other posters have said, there are other tasks that must continue, such as trg for aircrew, maintenance of a/c, and other domestic ops.

U.S. military to assist in Vancouver
February 2, 2009, 9:21 PM ET
Article Link

VANCOUVER -- The United States military will be cooperating with its Canadian counterparts to provide security for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Canadian Forces officials said Monday that the combined operations fall under the provisions of joint command NORAD, said Canadian Rear Admiral Tyrone Pile, commander of Joint Task Force Games.

"They have to be involved," Pile said. "We share a common border with them."

Pile said the U.S. will contribute Coast Guard and Navy vessels but there will be no American troops involved on Canadian soil.

Full details of security measures are not being released for operational security reasons.

The news of the U.S. involvement comes two weeks after Col. Christopher Coates, said the air force, like other branches of the military, will be forced to juggle its resources during the Olympics.

Coates, the commander of Canada's air wing in Afghanistan, said the Canadian military does not have enough helicopters to meet its commitments in Afghanistan and provide security for the Games.

But, said Pile, both domestic security and operations abroad will be "appropriately resourced."

A Canadian security and terrorism expert said helicopters are essential tools for perimeter work in the layered security employed at large- scale events such as an Olympics.

Martin Rudner, the founding director of the Canadian Centre of Intelligence and Security Studies, said a helicopter perimeter is the outer layer of security, the first line of defense of many around a "point of vulnerability" such as a Games venue.

The announcement of U.S. involvement comes as more than 1,000 soldiers, police officers and other security staff are converging in the Vancouver area for a massive security planning exercise.

Exercise Silver is the second of three test runs being held for the Games and will involve live what-if scenarios on weather, terrorism, earthquakes and other possible threats to the Games.

Games security was originally estimated at $140 million to be split between the provincial and federal governments.

The Canadian government has since acknowledged that cost could be as high as $800,000 million -- 1 billion in Canadian funds.
More on link

Back