• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Canadian Forces warns members affiliated with radical groups"

Underway said:
I partially agree.  However it's not just Halifax.  This is big news in the Maritimes, all the Maritimes.  Those national newspapers you read, well they have different issues for different places.  Globe and Mail Maritime Issue has had 4-5 stories covering the situation.  Ontario (well Metro TO) has .... zero.  But yes, the rest of the country has already moved on to oil going lower, 5% of houses in TO are foreign buys and whatever The Donald has tweeted lately.

As for the overreaction, I don't think it was an overreaction.  It's the exact proper reaction.  I felt the Admiral (aside from the white supremacy comment) was very balanced, speaking on youth, stupidity and how we need to see if we can salvage the members.  The CDS was more irritated but he's speaking to the Ottawa press and didn't want to give them even the tiniest crack to accuse us of being soft on potential racism etc...

Our entire organization is under fire for being old boys white bigots and need to go the extra mile to fix these problems, because well, we have historically acted like old boys white bigots for the most part (and in so many cases continue to do so).

As for the repercussions,  I will be surprised if they get anything more than C&P.  That's bad enough, as they are removed from training or ship for the duration of the investigation, and are unable to do any coursing while on C&P or advance their career while on their Probation period (max 6 months though I have in rare cases seen 9 months given under special circumstances).  Their career just got approx a 1-2 year delay in it for advancement, unless the MP's move at lightning speed to investigate this.  The fact that the media blew it out of proportion won't change the repercussions all that much as the violation was not sufficient enough for release, and if that was attempted be prepared to have ALL your ducks in a row because we can't even get rid of real terrible people.

They might catch them on a violation of QR&O 19.44, or Conduct contrary, but I see that as a stretch.  The accused would just ask for a proper trial with a judge and get off the charges (if I was their assisting officer I would advise that).

1-2 year career delay is a conservative guess... I'd say that being in an incident that the CDS had to comment on will get them blacklisted for their foreseeable futures.

I know I am not the most eloquent poster here with a Ph D in *anything*, but...

Chief Grizzly Mama and her supporters are upset that General Edward Cornwallis committed genocide against her people's.  Canadians shouldn't be carrying historical flags in Canada, on Canada Day.  Etc.

- General Edward Cornwallis lived from March 1713 to January 1776.  He was appointed as Governor of Halifax  (task - establish a British Settlement to counter France's Fortress Louisberg in what is now Cape Breton), arriving in June 1949.  *Note - he died in 1776.

- Canada, as a nation, was formed in 1867.

Obviously I am not a great historian or a mathematician, but I don't see the Cornwallis = Canada and present day Canadians stuff.

British killed French, French killed British, Natives killed both and were killed by both.  The whole *Cornwallis was bad* thing seems to be just one side of the story, but apparently the only side anyone in the general public acknowledges, because there just isn't enough room for all the facts in Tweets and FB messages.

Now back to (un)reality...I guess we (Canada and Canadians) can go on arguing about who did what, when, and to who for the near future without establishing a basis of facts first; I bet the Vikings love this whole debate.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
1-2 year career delay is a conservative guess... I'd say that being in an incident that the CDS had to comment on will get them blacklisted for their foreseeable futures.

They are too Jr. to worry about PER's (for the few I know of directly).  Their careers are currently based on getting courses and OJT as far as I understand.    I wouldn't be surprised if the career manager in a year even knows who they are aside from a number, or if they do, actually cares.  If it takes longer than 2 years I would be surprised and probably chock it up to bad scheduling and time on PAT platoon because they are out of the normal coursing stream.

MARS said:
I would speculate it is because the CDS understands quite clearly that Indigenous groups 'have the floor', so to speak, in the current public discourse and that the details don't and won't matter - there is no winning move, in terms of the reputation of the CAF, other than to condemn, without reservation, the actions of those sailors/soldier.

I mean, you even have the MND offering apologies, so obviously the entire CoC will follow with their own.

To be charitable, these young men had to be pretty tone deaf to current climate vis-a-vis indigenous issues in Canada, if they seriously thought that their actions weren't going to be pilloried, quite roundly, all over social media, and thus by their superiors.  Lots of discussion here about Charter rights and such.  That is not the water cooler conversations being had about this in the general public.  I wonder how big of a rock you have to be living under to seriously think it would have played out in their favour....

Exactly.

To add to that: the CDS's involvement was important for image. A lack of response could have further hurt the CAF's image.

Offending and alienating large swaths of Canada's identifiable groups (whether indigenous, LGBQT, Muslim, Jewish, etc) is not in our interests. This will involve some self-censorship and a decency filter, but so does being employed in nearly every other occupation. I don't think anyone is asking that we all entirely self-censor, but just to exercise good judgment and that involves remaining cognizant of the social issues of the day.

For these five, I don't think they should reprimanded with a discharge, but their off-colour standoff surely shows their lack of good judgment.

E. B. Korcz Forrester said:
]

...... but their off-colour standoff surely shows their lack of good judgment.

Perhaps poor judgement; but I never saw any signs in any of the videos of them being in a "off-colour standoff".  I did see them having a civil discussion with one lady, before being accosted by another loudmouth, 'in your face' woman and a Black man, and then leaving, still in civil discussion with the lady they were talking to in the first place.

Insipid Venture-A Tale of Soldiering in the Age of Culture Wars

Act I

The morning sun peered through clouds that had finally broken overnight. July 2nd, 2017 looked like any other day initially. The brave men and women manning the Canadian Racism Action Centre (CRAC) were finishing their overnight shifts after spending a particularly soggy Canada Day scanning social media and other open sources for evidence-any evidence-of racism, bigotry or unauthorized opinion among Canadian military members on the internet.

Private John Taylor was just 19 years old. A native of Thornhill Ontario, this was his first operational post. Working on the front line in the war against racism was a daunting task, but an important one-and he knew it. In basic recruit training, many of his infantry colleagues would scoff at his job description. Especially that asshole Ryan McTaggart. “What the fook”? the brash Newfoundlander would chortle in the mess hall, “You call sittin’ behind a computer all day surfing da net solderin’? Get fookin’ real booddy, the RCR is da real soldiers!” Taylor seethed as he recalled the indignities. “Someday, they’re gonna understand” he thought to himself…”someday.”
It was then that he came across it. It seemed like nothing at first. A Youtube video of a bunch of guys in black and gold golf shirts having a polite, if at times irreverent, discussion with some people in a park. The caption indicated the men were sailors from CFB Halifax. Watching the video, it was clear that the men were being quite reasonable and polite while members of a protest group hurled vitriolic abuse at them. “Nothing to see here” Taylor muttered to himself as he prepared to move onto the next video. Still, it warranted a mention to the boss….”Sir, got something here you might want to take a look at.”

Capt (N) Mark Griswold had been promoted to his current position after a decade spent with the fleet. He was a combat veteran, having commanded an anti-submarine frigate in Kandahar during the Afghan war. His new role, as the Canadian Racism Action Centre Commander (CRACC) was on the cutting edge. His highly trained team of internet commandos spent their days utilizing data mining programs to search every corner of the net for armed forces members who might utter a racist, bigoted or unauthorized opinion. “Griswold, this isn’t the sixties anymore” the Admiral told him on his appointment. “We’re not just recruiting out of the jails anymore. The modern military person has to be able to think. But it’s our job to ensure they don’t think too much! The last thing this organization needs is people who think up things that we don’t want them too. It’s your job to catch them when they do so we can put a stop to it immediately.”

Griswold’s first impression of the video was similar to that of his young charge. The men were polite, and from their appearance and comments, it wasn’t even clear that they were associated with the military. “Why is this even an issue?” he thought to himself. But then something that had been eating at him since the beginning of his appointment occurred to him. “For six God-damned months I’ve been running this command centre, and we haven’t been able to find one skin-head, Nazi or Rush Limbaugh listener in the whole time. If we don’t find something soon, I’m going to have to go back on a ship. Months away from home, sea-sickness and five minute showers. Screw that!” He reviewed the video again. And it was clear, the sailors were very aggressive. In fact, one of them had a red flag. Griswold wasn’t sure, but it might even be a Confederate flag. Yes, that’s it. A Rebel flag!  It was then that he knew it was time to hit the panic button. “We’ve got one!” he exclaimed. He reached for the Racism Alarm and slammed it with his palm. Claxons began sounding and the command centre lighting immediately switched to subdued red. “Petty Officer Morgan” shouted Griswold. “Sir” replied Morgan. “Notify the Admiral we have a Code 1-military personnel arguing with left wing extremists on Youtube.” “Yessir!” barked the petty officer. And the ball began to roll…..

Act II
Admiral Newman was cranky. He’d spent the previous day at a ceremony dedicated to recognizing Canada’s tolerant diversification of tolerant diversity, but it degenerated into a fiasco when a group of Antifa activists showed up to protest the Navy’s lack of LGBTQ bathrooms on submarines. His voice betrayed his irritability when he answered the phone call from Capt(N) Griswold. “Admiral Newman” he said gruffly. His stern manner melted when Capt(N) Griswold broke the news. Racist sailors had crashed a solemn First Nations religious ceremony in Halifax, and assaulted a woman while waving a Confederate flag.  “Thank you Captain,” replied the Admiral. “I will address it.”

The Five lay in their bunks at CFB Halifax nursing headaches. It had been a fun night. They’d started off watching Gavin McInness videos on Rebel Media and drinking Jagermiester shots before heading to downtown Halifax for pints. For a laugh, one of them had brought a Red Ensign with him. While downtown, they saw a group of protestors at the Lord Cornwallis statue waving an upside down Canadian flag and defacing the statue with stickers and paint. They had walked over and argued briefly with the group before backing off when the conversation became too heated. After all, they weren’t there to start a brawl. They had a big laugh over it as the day wore on and didn’t give it much more thought until…..BOOM! The door crashed in and the flash-bang grenade left each of them stunned. Before any of them could recover their senses a black clad entry team burst into the room dragging each of them out of their bunks in their underwear. “Don’t move! Don’t move!” the team leader screamed. The room filled with the smell of cordite and chemicals as each of The Five were pepper sprayed, hand cuffed and dragged to a waiting black van which peeled out of the parking lot and down the street to oblivion.

Act III
General Prance was elated when the phone rang. He’d been waiting for an update from Admiral Newman all afternoon. “Admiral Newman here sir, we got ‘em!” “Excellent” replied the Chief of Defence Staff who had been on tenterhooks, terrified that the miscreants would escape before Griswold’s Anti-Racism Commandos could bring them into custody. “Now that we’ve got them” instructed the General, “We have to ensure due process.” “I couldn’t agree more” replied Admiral Newman. “We’ll start by marching them before me and I’ll upbraid them all afternoon.  Then we’ll have some underlings release their names publicly via social media so that they can be shamed online. Then we’ll suspend them before holding a show trial. At the end of it, after a fair hearing taking into account all available evidence, we’ll find them guilty and have them drawn and quartered. I believe you can still do that under the National Defence Act.” “Good plan” General Prance offered. “By the way, what is it they did exactly?” “Well” the Admiral sighed, “it seems these bastards attended a solemn native ceremony wearing red suspenders, combat boots and shaved heads with SS lightening bolts tattooed on their necks. They began shouting ‘White Power’, before kicking a pregnant First Nations woman in the stomach and stomp kicking an elderly Sikh. Oh yeah, they had a Nazi flag too. A God-damn Nazi flag. Can you believe it!  It was absolutely appalling behaviour.” “They’re done” intoned the Chief of Defence Staff sharply. “They’re done...” his voice tailed off.

Act IV
The court room was tense and sweltering. The crowd had started lining up well before dawn and by the time the court martial opened its doors a throng of stakeholders pushed past the harried security staff to claim their seats. Idle No More was there. So was Black Lives Matter, although after being granted standing at the proceedings they refused to participate claiming it was all an exercise in white supremacy. Antifa activists showed up but refused to enter the room after they decided as a collective that it would be more productive to smash out the windows of a coffee shop located across the street from the court house.

The murmuring crowed hushed as The Five were led in. Shorn heads bowed, their orange jumpsuits glowing with defeat, none of them dared look up toward the glaring throng. The prosecution called its first witness, Capt(N) Griswold. “Captain” the prosecutor asked, “Can you tell us how you came to be involved with the men now before the court today?” Captain Griswold described the video he’d seen and how horrified he was by it. Not since the Somalia Affair, when Canadian soldiers beat and tortured a bound Somali prisoner to death then joked about it on video had anyone seen anything like it!

Then it was the defence’s turn. The attorney, Atticus Pinch, rose to his feet. “Captain Griswold, can you tell us a little bit about….” his cross-examination immediately truncated by a vituperative protest from the witness box. “YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!” Capt(N) Griswold bellowed. “I beg your pardon?” replied Pinch. “YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH!” retorted Griswold. It was going to be a long day.

The next witness was the Minister of Defence, Harjitt Sayagain. After a cursory examination-in-chief, Pinch began his cross-examination. “Minister, upon learning of the incident, you issued a media release condemning these men for their actions. Did you ever watch the video in question?” “Yes” replied Minister Sayagain. “And what did you see”? the defence continued. “…Well…I saw a group of soldiers…I mean…sailors.. acting inappropriately…waving a racist flag.” “A racist flag you say? Can you describe this flag minister?” replied Pinch.  “Well”, stammered Minister Sayagain “it was red…with a bunch of crosses on it. Totally inappropriate…” “But minister” the defence pressed on, “I’m going to suggest to you that this ‘racist’ flag you decry was actually the same flag that an entire generation of Canadian soldiers, sailors and air force personnel fought and died under during the Second World War, in the great struggle against fascism. Wouldn’t you agree?” “Of…of course I would…maybe not…” sputtered Sayagain. “For God’s sake, I was the architect of the Juno Beach landings and I led the Third Canadian Division into the Falaise Gap. Of course I know that.” With that, a loud harrumph was heard from the spectator’s gallery and Christie Blatchford rolled her eyes in disgust. “This’ll be in the Post tomorrow” she huffed, before storming out in utter disgust.

The verdict was handed down the next day. To no one’s surprise, The Five were sentenced to 51 weeks of First Nations Anti-Islamophobic Pro-Trans Gender Anti-Black Racism Sensitivity Training at the Ministry of Diversity in Ottawa. A dog barked as the prisoner van rolled through the night towards Room 101.

Post-Script-July 2018

The Five sat at the café table, reading the Huffington Post on their computers and sipping Victory Gin. The Telescreen blared with news of an impending announcement. A great victory had been achieved by the Canadian Forces in their eternal struggle against the forces of intolerance. It came in the form of a new quota to ensure proper representation of transgender studies graduates among the ranks of the special operations command. The Five cheered the news, along with the rest of the patrons of the café. As they sat enjoying their Victory Gin, they were sure of only one thing. They loved Justin Trudeau.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Christie Blatchford: Proud Boys' behaviour might be goofy, but is hardly ‘deplorable’
Not a blow was struck. Not a disrespectful word uttered. Then the men were outed as Canadian Forces members and soon were tossed under the bus by their leaders
The National Post
Christie Blatchford
July 6, 2017  7:55 PM EDT

I do not rise in defence of the Proud Boys, a truly goofy sort of organization, so odd I can’t help but think it’s a joke perpetrated by its founder, Gavin McInnes, the Canadian ex-hipster and comedian who co-started Vice Media and is infamous for what in the United Kingdom is known as taking the piss.

McInnes started the Proud Boys just last year, and until recently, the group seemed to have been regarded as kooky but benign.

Two of its weirder tests, for instance, call for the prospective member to be beaten up by at least five guys until he can spit out the names of five breakfast cereals, and, secondly, to stay away from his own member and masturbate no more than once a month (its infamous #NoWanks policy) on the grounds that this gets young men off the couch and talking to actual women.

(I do rise somewhat in the defence of cereal, which like the Proud Boys I adore and eat at least twice daily, and in defence of the other as well.)

In any case, the group has been getting a good deal of ink since Canada Day in Halifax, when one of five young men who approached an Indigenous protest — carrying the old Red Ensign flag (Canada’s de facto flag until 1965) and apparently singing God Save the Queen, though the video I saw didn’t capture the latter — identified them all as Proud Boys Maritimes.

For the record, the protest itself was held at the statue of Edward Cornwallis, the former Nova Scotia governor who founded Halifax and notoriously issued a bounty on Mi’kmaq scalps (the Scalping Proclamation) after Mi’kmaq warriors, objecting to Cornwallis’ chosen site, fought against the English.

A small crowd was gathered around the statue, one of them carrying an upside-down Canadian flag with the word “decolonize” written on it, there to mark the various atrocities committed against Indigenous people while Chief Grizzly Mamma, who is originally from British Columbia, shaved her head.

According to what McInnes later told the CBC, the five were in a bar on July 1, heard rumours of an anti-Canada protest, and decided to go check it out.

Also for the record, the men were well-spoken, polite and respectful; they were met by a young woman, from the protesters, who was equally polite and respectful. The men explained they were curious and wanted to see what was going on; she said they’d be welcome to listen quietly if they didn’t disrupt things.

But a couple of other protesters were not similarly inclined.

One snarled, “This is a fucking genocide.” Someone else said, “This is Mi’kmaq territory, to which one of the Proud Boys replied, “This is Canada.” Members of each side tossed about historically inaccurate facts in the manner of the young and unschooled. Another young woman bristling with hostility kept moving closer to one of the men until she was practically touching him. “You don’t seem to like me standing so close,” she said. “You’re very close,” he replied calmly.

But then the Proud Boys left, having been chastised for their pronunciation of Mi’kmaq and for their disrespectful tone, or, as a protester put it, got “the —- out of here.”

There were no harsh words from the Proud Boys. There was even some humour; once, told by a protester to speak more softly, one of the men said, in effect, “What? This is a library now?” But he did as he was asked.

Not a blow was struck. Not a disrespectful word was uttered, unless, of course, one counts the mere questioning of Indigenous protest as disrespectful. Not a gram of cereal was consumed or thrown.

Then the men were outed on social media as being members of the Canadian Forces. Four, as it turned out, are sailors, one is in the army. (A sixth military person was on the periphery, but not involved.)

In short order, the men were smartly tossed under the bus by their leaders.

More on LINK.

The mob is getting restless and they want blood.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

There’s no room in Canadian forces for racists: Editorial
A group of five men from the Canadian Armed Forces invaded a Mi’kmaq ceremony on Canada Day. They should be dismissed.
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2017/07/05/no-room-in-forces-for-misogynist-racists.html

In the two years since Gen. Jonathan Vance was named Chief of Defence Staff he has spent considerable time and energy trying to change the misogynistic, discriminatory culture of Canada’s Armed Forces.

Now, in one appallingly insensitive and thuggish act, a gang of five members of the military have proven just how deaf they have been to his crystal-clear orders. They don’t belong in the ranks.

It happened on Canada Day when a group of Mi’kmaq women held a ceremony in Halifax to mark the suffering of Indigenous peoples. As their chief cut off her braids and laid them at the foot of a statue of Edward Cornwallis — as a symbol of the scalping and mistreatment of her people that occurred under the Halifax founder’s command — the black-shirted men made their entrance.

They identified themselves as “Proud Boys,” a self-declared “fraternal organization of Western Chauvinists who will no longer apologize for creating the modern world.” One man carrying a Red Ensign declared: “This was Mi’kmaq territory. This is now Canada. This is Halifax, Nova Scotia. This is a British colony.”

So far Vance has called the incident “deplorable,” said the men will be removed from training and duties while the incident is investigated, and apologized to Indigenous peoples. Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan was also quick to condemn them.

That’s all good. But if Vance wants to send an important signal that the forces have no place for people with these odious attitudes, he must dismiss these men immediately.

After all, the military is in the midst of a recruitment drive to attract women, LGBTQ people, and visible minorities. It cannot hope to succeed at that goal if it allows men who disrespect women and racial minorities to remain in its ranks.

The Proud Boys Canadian Chapters Facebook page, which now sports a photo of Cornwallis, says the organization does not discriminate on the basis of race or sexuality. But it’s hard to believe it isn’t anything but a front for a bunch of racists.

There’s no room in Canada, never mind the military, for that kind of thinking. Vance should cut to the chase and dismiss those who not only hold these beliefs, but would head out as a gang to impose them on others.

The CBC gets a West Coast Lawyer (who is first nation) to weigh in as well.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/indigenous-lawyer-responds-to-gavin-mcinnes-interview-1.4193748

She calls the Red Ensign the Confederate Flag and CBC does not correct her.

Another hit piece by the Red Star.  That bird cage liner's mere existence is proof  of the the theory that MPAI.  And said idiots congregate on the left end of the stupidity spectrum.  Jesus wept.

I really didn't know that Mi’kmaq territory extended all the way to Vancouver, where this Chief Grizzly Mamma is said to be from?

E. B. Korcz Forrester said:
that involves remaining cognizant of the social issues of the day.

Many of the "social issues of the day" are simply destructive, divisive, and/or just plain stupid. Ignoring them simply encourages the idiocy.

Yes, EITS, invaded.

Don't think for a moment that these people don't know what they are doing, and that the "West" useful idiots, like the Star editorial board, is doing the hanging for them.

In a reconciliatory mood, acknowledging that you are on x, y or z first nations ancestral territory is one thing. To acknowledge that your are on unceded x, y, or z t's territory is another. And those people know it even if our governments and the media doesn't.

Acknowledging you are on someone else's "unceded" territory makes you an occupier (a bit like the Israeli occupation of "Palestinian" territory [and I put that in quotes because there hasn't been a Palestinian state in human recorded history that would be recognized as a country at any point in time]) and therefore it validates your international claim to assistance in getting rid of the occupier or in claiming mischief from said occupier and questioning any right to the land. This is important because in international law, one of the criteria for a country to be recognized is borders recognized by all or almost all other states and the actual exercise of your sovereignty over such land. The "unceded" territory discourse aims at taking the land away from a mere "colonized" status and making it, an occupied mig'mak land subject to return to them under international law.

Interestingly enough, this means that those five members may actually have been effectively executing one of the primary duties of the CAF: the role of defending Canadian territory.

Ok, I have read the whole thread, a number of articles and I still have one question. What did they do? Honestly, I can't find one single thing that is "deplorable", racist or even rude in this whole thing. I have yet to even hear an  accusation of an offense besides being "racist". It is telling that this group of racist Nazis reportedly had two natives and a gay man present.

Can our leadership, just once, defend us in public? No wonder we have recruiting issues. This could literally have been anyone of us. I am from the left coast and I run into protests a lot (although not as much now as when I was in Esquimalt/Victoria) and I have made comments about the stupidity of them. And I am sure as hell going to verbally defend myself if I am berated by some "activist" (although in uniform its a different game). I think most of us would do the same.

George Wallace said:
I really didn't know that Mi’kmaq territory extended all the way to Vancouver, where this Chief Grizzly Mamma is said to be from?
??? If someone born in Toronto as an Albanian citizen according to Albania's rules now lives in Vancouver, does that make all of Canada to the West Coast Albania?

George Wallace said:
Perhaps poor judgement; but I never saw any signs in any of the videos of them being in a "off-colour standoff".  I did see them having a civil discussion with one lady, before being accosted by another loudmouth, 'in your face' woman and a Black man, and then leaving, still in civil discussion with the lady they were talking to in the first place.

I will concede that not all of them were making off-colour statements. However, I would consider, in light of how poorly Canada's indigenous are treated by ordinary people (sometimes with callous disregard for life and serious consequence), telling another Canadian of indigenous heritage to "take off all [their] clothes" and return everything they own—become destitute—to the state because none of that belonged, and was given, to them (paraphrased except where quoted) to be off-colour and tasteless.

Surprised no one has posted or mentioned these....

QR&O
19.14 - IMPROPER COMMENTS

(1) No officer or non-commissioned member shall make remarks or pass criticism tending to bring a superior into contempt, except as may be necessary for the proper presentation of a grievance under Chapter 7 (Grievances).

(2) No officer or non-commissioned member shall do or say anything that:

if seen or heard by any member of the public, might reflect discredit on the Canadian Forces or on any of its members
; or
if seen by, heard by or reported to those under him, might discourage them or render them dissatisfied with their condition or the duties on which they are employed.

DAOD 7021-1, Conflict of Interest (relevant sections, its long)

outside activity (activité extérieure)

Any employment, political or charitable activity, whether remunerated or not, that is conducted outside the official working hours of a DND employee or the authorized hours of duty or service of a CAF member.

Requirement

3.2 All DND employees and CAF members must conform to the following principles in their public roles as well as in their outside activities

Outside Activities
Only pursuing an outside activity that does not create a COI or a potential for adverse public perception, and that does not otherwise contravene a federal, provincial or territorial act or regulation, or a DND or CAF directive, order or policy.

Participation in Public Events

Not identifying oneself as a DND employee or CAF member when participating in public events held by for-profit or non-profit entities without the prior written consent of the DM or the CDS or their delegates, as applicable, except in the course of the official duties of the DND employee or CAF member.
Note – During participation in public events, DND employees and CAF members must remain aware of their obligation of loyalty to the GC. Also, QR&O articles 19.14, Improper Comments, and 19.36, Disclosure of Information or Opinion, have application to the comments and disclosures of CAF members during their participation.

Social Media and the Internet
Remaining aware of their obligation of loyalty to the GC and remaining particularly sensitive to COI or the potential for adverse public perception that may arise from the creation, sharing or discussion of information on social media and other Internet sites.

Limitations on Civil Employment or Undertakings

4.1 QR&O article 19.42, Civil Employment, sets out limitations on the civil employment or undertakings of a CAF member who is on full-time service. To ensure any proposed civil employment or undertaking is not contrary to this article, a CAF member must submit a completed form DND 2839-E, Confidential Report, to their commanding officer (CO), requesting permission to engage in the civil employment or undertaking.

Note – A member of the Regular Force is on full-time service at all times, and a member of the Reserve Force is on full-time service when on Class “B” or Class “C” Reserve Service, in accordance with QR&O Chapter 9, Reserve Service.

Factors for a CO to Consider

4.2 When reviewing a form DND 2839-E submitted under paragraph 4.1 by a CAF member, a CO should take into consideration the following:

whether the proposed civil employment or undertaking will only occur during approved leave or outside the authorized hours of duty or service of the CAF member;
whether or not the potential clients of the CAF member will be primarily DND employees, other CAF members and their family members;
the risk that the CAF member will be placed in a position which is not consistent with the principles of conduct set out in paragraph 3.2;
the general practice in the CAF regarding the approval of this type of civil employment or undertaking; and
any other factors that the CO considers to be relevant to the situation.

Review of COI by the DDEP

4.6 Once a CO has confirmed that the proposed civil employment or undertaking is not contrary to QR&O article 19.42, the CAF member must send the completed form DND 2839-E, along with the confirmation of the CO, to the DDEP in order to confirm that a COI does not prevent the CAF member from engaging in it.

5. Criteria Applicable to DND Employees and CAF Members
Applicable Criteria

5.1 In evaluating situations of COI, the permissibility of the holding of a non-exempt asset or liability, the permissibility of the conduct of an outside activity, or any action or decision of a DND employee or CAF member under this DAOD, the DDEP must consider the following:

whether the holding of the non-exempt asset or liability, the conduct of the outside activity or other action or decision of the DND employee or CAF member under this DAOD complies with the principles of conduct in paragraph 3.2, the ethical principles and specific values of the Department of National Defence and Canadian Forces Code of Values and Ethics and, in the case of a DND employee, the Treasury Board (TB) Policy on Conflict of Interest and Post-Employment, as they apply in their public roles;
whether the outside activity involves the use of GC property, including intellectual property;
whether the outside activity is in fact to be conducted outside the official working hours of the DND employee or the authorized hours of duty or service of the CAF member;
whether the holding of the non-exempt asset or liability, proposed outside activity or other action or decision of the DND employee or CAF member creates the potential for adverse public perception;
whether the non-exempt asset or proposed outside activity of the DND employee or CAF member will have the GC, DND or CAF as a user or client;
whether the non-exempt asset or proposed outside activity of the DND employee or CAF member will have other DND employees, other CAF members or their family members as users or clients; and
any other factors relevant to the situation.
Note – In this paragraph, “outside activity” includes any civil employment or undertaking or political activity of a CAF member.

5.2 In reaching a determination, the DDEP must always defer to the broader public interest above that of the personal interest of the DND employee or of the CAF member, or the interest of the DND or the CAF.

There is also DAOD 7023-1 and the The DND and CF Code of Values and Ethics, specfically from the latter

Table 1 - Ethical Principles of DND and CF

ETHICAL PRINCIPLES EXPECTED BEHAVIOURS
1. RESPECT THE DIGNITY OF ALL PERSONS

At all times and in all places, DND employees and CF members shall respect human dignity and the value of every person by: 

1.1  Treating every person with respect and fairness.
1.2  Valuing diversity and the benefit of combining the unique qualities and strengths inherent in a diverse workforce.
1.3  Helping to create and maintain safe and healthy workplaces that are free from harassment and discrimination.
1.4  Working together in a spirit of openness, honesty and transparency that encourages engagement, collaboration and respectful communication.
2. SERVE CANADA BEFORE SELF
At all times and in all places, DND employees and CF members shall fulfil their commitments in a manner that best serves Canada, its people, its parliamentary democracy, DND and the CF by:

2.1  Making decisions and acting at all times in the public interest.
2.2  Performing their duty or their responsibilities to the highest ethical standards.
2.3  Avoiding or preventing situations that could give rise to personal or organizational conflicts of interests.
2.4  Providing decision-makers with all the information, analysis and advice they need, always striving to be open, candid and impartial.

Table 2 - Values and Expected Behaviours of DND Employees and CF Members

SPECIFIC VALUES EXPECTED BEHAVIOURS
1. INTEGRITY
DND employees and CF members shall serve the public interest by:

1.1  Acting at all times with integrity, and in a manner that will bear the closest public scrutiny; an obligation that may not be fully satisfied by simply acting within the law.
1.2  Never using their official roles to inappropriately obtain an advantage for themselves or to advantage or disadvantage others.
1.3  Taking all possible steps to prevent and resolve any real, apparent or potential conflicts of interest between their official responsibilities and their private affairs in favour of the public interest.
1.4  Acting in such a way as to maintain DND’s and the CF’s trust, as well as that of their peers, supervisors and subordinates.
1.5  Adhering to the highest ethical standards, communicating and acting with honesty, and avoiding deception.
1.6  Being dedicated to fairness and justice, committed to the pursuit of truth regardless of personal consequences.

7. Failure to Comply

7.2 For CF members

7.2.1 A CF member who fails to comply with ethical principles, values, expected behaviour or the policies of the DND and CF Code of Values and Ethics, or fails to comply with the DAOD 7023 series, may be subject to one or more of the following: 

change of duties;
release or other administrative action as set out in the Administrative Review (AR) Career Decisions block of DAOD 5019-2, Administrative Review; and/or
disciplinary action under the National Defence Act.

So yeah, I think these guys are up schitts creek on this one, particularly in regards to their association with "The Proud Boys" and my doubts that they went through the necessary steps outlined in DAOD 7021-1 to get approval.

You've forgotten  QR&O 19.44 - POLITICAL ACTIVITIES AND CANDIDATURE FOR OFFICE

....snip....
(7) No member of the Regular Force shall:

a. take an active part in the affairs of a political organization or party;
b. make a political speech to electors, or announce himself or allow himself to be announced as a candidate, or prospective candidate, for election to the Parliament of Canada or a provincial legislature; or
c. except with the permission of the Chief of the Defence Staff, accept an office in a municipal corporation or other local government body or allow himself to be nominated for election to such office.

...snip...

Also in my research I have re-read  QR&O 19.36 - DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION OR OPINION in particular para (2), and decided to adjust how I interact on this board with members.  I would strongly recommendother Mil members here read that themselves so they can properly adjust their comments or discussions on the board to their comfort.  This is not as a result of me feeling any sort of big brother chill, or any anticipation of some sort of witch hunt search, just a personal decision based on my own comfort level with following regs I haven't reviewed in a long time.  It's also not a threat or anything like that just a PSA as I was a bit surprised by how encompassing that QR&O was.

*edit for spacing*

Underway said:
You've forgotten  QR&O 19.44 - POLITICAL ACTIVITIES AND CANDIDATURE FOR OFFICE

....snip....
(7) No member of the Regular Force shall:

a. take an active part in the affairs of a political organization or party;
b. make a political speech to electors, or announce himself or allow himself to be announced as a candidate, or prospective candidate, for election to the Parliament of Canada or a provincial legislature; or
c. except with the permission of the Chief of the Defence Staff, accept an office in a municipal corporation or other local government body or allow himself to be nominated for election to such office.

...snip...

Also in my research I have re-read  QR&O 19.36 - DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION OR OPINION in particular para (2), and decided to adjust how I interact on this board with members.  I would strongly recommendother Mil members here read that themselves so they can properly adjust their comments or discussions on the board to their comfort.  This is not as a result of me feeling any sort of big brother chill, or any anticipation of some sort of witch hunt search, just a personal decision based on my own comfort level with following regs I haven't reviewed in a long time.  It's also not a threat or anything like that just a PSA as I was a bit surprised by how encompassing that QR&O was.

I didn't forget, just thought my post was long enough, and I am not quite sure if The Proud Boys qualify as a political organization.

Back