• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian modular assault rifle project, a C7 replacement?

Pfft, as I fix bayonets on my Snider....
I have two (rusty) bayonets for my Martini-Henry. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who takes out his rifles once per decade to clean them. For five years we lived next to a lake. A lot of this got stressed.

I only keep them for nostalgia. I used to go shooting with my uncle about a half century ago and unfortunately he passed quite some time back. Since then all my range work has been with the army and that too ended some time back although I did get a chance to put some rounds down range a few times with a C-7. I preferred my FNC1 but my weapon of choice is still the M109A4+. :giggle:

Ah, well!

🍻

I've still got my Martini-Henry.

;)
Do you reload for it? The .577/450 is the only one of mine I don't shoot. I used the last shells I had well past the point of usefulness.

Never mind. Just saw your post above.

Do you reload for it? The .577/450 is the only one of mine I don't shoot. I used the last shells I had well past the point of usefulness.

Never mind. Just saw your post above.
I have five live rounds. They are newer manufacture - pre 1965 - but drawn not spiral wrapped brass. What I'd like to do is "demilitarize" two of them. The other three I'll give up to have that done.

🍻

In my opinion/understanding the trial has two components.

1st is the rifle itself. Things like trigger manipulation, recoil management, ability to adopt firing positions, comms with a suppressed weapon. Outside of the suppressor piece the rifle is still an AR pattern rifle with the same form factor. There isn’t really much to confirm here in my opinion outside the suppressed capability. The rifle is supposed to be more accurate though.

2nd is the optics. This one is more interesting and important in my mind as the C8A4 is largely set while the optic isn’t.
Optic wise they are looking at things like optic clarity, field of view, focal plane, weight,bulk, CCQ useage, integration with buttstock and FFO/PPE, overall weapon handling etc.
So there's a 3rd component not being talked about. Ammunition, a new ball round is being tested to give these carbine the same ballistics as a full rifle. IE a 300m to 400m effective range coming from an 11" or 14" barrel.

Info on the new C77A2 ( I think I saw it designated as the A2?) round has been sparse when I have looked but it seems to be a M855A1.

GD-OTS is showing it as 5.56 IP (Improved Performance) .

M855A1 has an exposed steel tip - the 5.56mm IP literature you posted suggests the copper jacket covers the entire projectile and has a steel core penetrator below like M855/C77.

M855A1 doesn’t have the same trajectory as M855 either.

Curious.

Back