• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Public Opinion Polls on Afghanistan

T6

There hasn't been very much news of any kind re Afghanistan, especially on the front pages.  The only time that Afghanistan now is "News" is when there is a multiple-casualty incident.  Even single deaths don't make the front page anymore.

Consequently there is no positive reinforcement as there was in the early days of the mission.  Never mind that the annual death rate amongst Canadian troops over there is approaching that of Canadian police at home (a slight, but only slight exaggeration - one order of magnitude) and the general populace sees a steady drip of losses with no return on that "investment" and no sense of an end in sight.  And to be honest, there is no prospect of an end to these types of operations.  The Afghan government will be fighting this battle for decades.  The only question is when will they be ready to do it themselves and when will the Canadian presence be reduced to one equivalent to the 18th Century "adventurers" that built the Indian Army.

I noted on a BBC report on the possible civilans deaths in Shindand that they neglected to say that it was a combined Afghan/US operation and that the information was provided by tribal elders, of another tribe known to be hostile to the one hit. Seem like important facts to neglect.....

One Third of Canadians Back Afghan Mission
September 13, 2008

(Angus Reid Global Monitor) - Canadian adults continue to disagree with the decision to prolong the country’s mandate in Afghanistan until 2011, according to a poll by Angus Reid Strategies. 34 per cent of respondents agree with the extension, while 59 per cent disagree.
Afghanistan has been the main battleground in the war on terrorism. The conflict began in October 2001, after the Taliban regime refused to hand over Osama bin Laden, prime suspect in the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York and Washington. Al-Qaeda operatives hijacked and crashed four airplanes on Sept. 11, 2001, killing nearly 3,000 people.
At least 956 soldiers—including 97 Canadians—have died in the war on terrorism, either in support of the U.S.-led Operation Enduring Freedom or as part of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) led by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
Canadians renewed the House of Commons in January 2006. The Conservative party—led by Stephen Harper—received 36.3 per cent of the vote, and secured 124 seats in the 308-member lower house. Harper formed a minority administration after more than 12 years of government by the Liberal party.
In May 2006, the House of Commons extended Canada’s mission in Afghanistan until February 2009. In March 2008, the House of Commons voted 198-77 to prolong the military deployment until the end of 2011. The Conservative and Liberal parties supported the motion, while the New Democratic Party (NDP) and the Bloc Québécois opposed it.
On Sept. 10, Harper—in the middle of a federal electoral campaign—assured that there would be no new extension of the mission if he forms the government again, saying, "You have to put an end date on these things. By 2011, we will have been in Kandahar, which is probably the toughest province in the country, for six years. Not only have we done our bit at that point, I think our goal has to be after six years to see the government of Afghanistan able to carry the lion’s share of responsibility for its own security. At that point, the mission, as we’ve known it, we intend to end."
Polling Data
As you may know, the House of Commons has authorized an extension of Canada’s mission in Afghanistan until the end of 2011. Do you agree or disagree with the decision to extend Canada’s mission in Afghanistan until the end of 2011?

Sept. 2008 Jul. 2008 May 2008
Agree 34% 36% 41%
Disagree 59% 58% 54%
Not sure 7% 6% 6%

Source: Angus Reid Strategies
Methodology: Online interviews with 1,001 Canadian adults, conducted on Sept. 9 and Sept. 10, 2008. Margin of error is 3.1 per cent.

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/31745/one_third_of_canadians_back_afghan_mission

I find the final statement telling:

"At that point, the mission, as we’ve known it, we intend to end."

I smell lots of wiggle room for the continuation of the mission past 2011 with that statement. Change to mandate, change to location, change of deployed pers strength, etc ... any of which will have the effect of "changing the mission as we now know it."

Not exactly a lie now is it?

But, it does serve to placate the "apparent" masses of those opinion poll voters who are disagreeing with the mission "as we know it now".

Politics at it's very best.

ArmyVern: Worst, rather:
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/09/out-of-afghanistan.html
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/09/cf-in-afstan-modest-middle-ground.html
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/09/its-important-right-up-until-part-where.html
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/09/any-excuse-for-party-even-grisliest-one.html
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/09/misplaced-war-room-fervour.html

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
ArmyVern: Worst, rather:
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/09/out-of-afghanistan.html
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/09/cf-in-afstan-modest-middle-ground.html
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/09/its-important-right-up-until-part-where.html
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/09/any-excuse-for-party-even-grisliest-one.html
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/09/misplaced-war-room-fervour.html

Mark
Ottawa

Yeah ... well politicians at their best (best = the standard "colourful" rather than "lying") usually results in the worst for some of us. I just love politics by opinion polls.

I first heard his announcement about 2011 as I was listening to CBC driving back from Borden on Friday ... almost drove off the freakin' road.

And, I'm quite in agreement with Mr. Jim Davis' take on it all ...

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/election-2008/canada-in-afghanistan/#clip91830

Snipped from a Letter to the Editor of the Cape Breton Post this morning:

"Canada, whose mission in the world used to be peacekeeping, has involved itself in fighting. One cannot win a war in which people's bodies become bombs, as in Afghanistan, and where roadside bombs are implanted. When people are prepared to die in suicide missions, they cannot be won over. Only death, destruction and more misery will be created on all sides of the conflict.

So I think it is better if Canadian soldiers are brought back home soon, rather than being killed for nothing. Other countries' troops should also leave Afghanistan. After that, good sense might come to the people there to settle their issues."

Did that last sentence make anyone else "laugh out loud"? I nearly spit a mouthful of coffee on my shirt.  ::)

Someone obviously delusional has themseleves a writing job.... perhaps (S)he should stick to fiction. I guess some people think because we are there, we are doing nothing but fight and kill people? Perhaps this person should be added to a convoy or one of the many rebuilding missions.  :eek:

Cheers

Snafu-Bar said:
Someone obviously delusional has themseleves a writing job.... perhaps (S)he should stick to fiction.

Naw, it was just someone writing a letter to the paper. I think the point of it was to gather support for the NDPs.

Interesting about the Canadian Forces traditionally being peacekeepers bit, though. I could have sworn our troops have fought in wars besides this one in the past. Silly me. :p

Celticgirl said:
Naw, it was just someone writing a letter to the paper. I think the point of it was to gather support for the NDPs.

Interesting about the Canadian Forces traditionally being peacekeepers bit, though. I could have sworn our troops have fought in wars besides this one in the past. Silly me. :p

- You forget that all history must pass the 'relevance' test before being considered.  'Progressive' Canadian history started when we ran up the new flag in '65, after lowering the one imposed by our old 'colonial masters.'

8)

I am not surprised to see such a letter. (it's not the first one I have seen)  I think the Canadians that are writing these letters are the uninformed and nonmilitary faction of Canada.  ::)

I'm tired of the left wing loonie lot crying and wringing their hands over a few dead no good psychotic terrorists.

When is it "unfashionable" to do the RIGHT thing? NEVER that is when.

But we have some "sheep" in our midst who bleat and complain every time the sheepdogs pass wind, or heaven help them, kill a wolf about to prey on a weaker member of the flock.

A poll of 1000 Canadians is supposed to be reflective of the views of 30 MILLION + ?!  I doubt that very much.

Besides, opinion polls are for politicians not soldiers.

twistedcables said:
A poll of 1000 Canadians is supposed to be reflective of the views of 30 MILLION + ?!  I doubt that very much.

Besides, opinion polls are for politicians not soldiers.
Polls from small sample sizes can reflect the opinion of general population very accurately, subject to statistical limitations. It is statistically unlikely for the many polls that have consistently shown a majority of the Canadian public to be against the war in Afghanistan to have been all wrong. Let's debate the merits of reasons for public opposition to the war, rather than assume that the apparent opposition is only due to inaccurate polls, and that the mission actually enjoys the backing of the 30 MILLION + ?! Canadians.

Opinion polls on the war in Afghanistan are NOT just for politicians; they should be important to all Canadian citizens, and especially so to soldiers. We are more than just mercenaries who are happy to kill as long as we get paid by the government, whether or not the populace support our missions. We are part of the Canadian society, and we choose to represent our fellow citizens by serving in the military and deploying internationally (well, not me personally, yet, but my hats are off to those of you who have). For us to legitimately claim a mandate, we must enjoy their support.

Stupor said:
Polls from small sample sizes can reflect the opinion of general population very accurately, subject to statistical limitations. It is statistically unlikely for the many polls that have consistently shown a majority of the Canadian public to be against the war in Afghanistan to have been all wrong. Let's debate the merits of reasons for public opposition to the war, rather than assume that the apparent opposition is only due to inaccurate polls, and that the mission actually enjoys the backing of the 30 MILLION + ?! Canadians.

Opinion polls on the war in Afghanistan are NOT just for politicians; they should be important to all Canadian citizens, and especially so to soldiers. We are more than just mercenaries who are happy to kill as long as we get paid by the government, whether or not the populace support our missions. We are part of the Canadian society, and we choose to represent our fellow citizens by serving in the military and deploying internationally (well, not me personally, yet, but my hats are off to those of you who have). For us to legitimately claim a mandate, we must enjoy their support.

Doh..

message lagged out... anyways as i was going put in here....

Opinion polls can target certain demographics depending on the pollsters desire to provide influence in the topic. Hence in this instance they could have been at an anti-war rally and polled 1000 war protesters to get thier "results". You can spin it and more often then not people won't take a "poll" as something the entire country feels in the favourable answer. The results will vary depending on the demographic targeted and by the location within the country it was taken.

Cheers.

OldSolduer said:
I'm tired of the left wing loonie lot crying and wringing their hands over a few dead no good psychotic terrorists.

When is it "unfashionable" to do the RIGHT thing? NEVER that is when.

But we have some "sheep" in our midst who bleat and complain every time the sheepdogs pass wind, or heaven help them, kill a wolf about to prey on a weaker member of the flock.
I don't feel it's right to call their oppinion 'loonie'. And it doesn't matter whether or not you're tired of it. And I also have no idea why we, as military professionals, constantly talk down about civilians. I understand some are uninformed, but we would be better represented to simply inform them, instead of insulting them. That's childish.

I feel the military in general should have more respect for civilians. This thread shows that we don't respect their opinions, so I begin to wonder why some of us are even in the military. Our ethos is to basically protect their right to free speech (among other things...), so complaining when they do is counter-productive in my opinion.

Nauticus said:
I don't feel it's right to call their oppinion 'loonie'. And it doesn't matter whether or not you're tired of it. And I also have no idea why we, as military professionals, constantly talk down about civilians. I understand some are uninformed, but we would be better represented to simply inform them, instead of insulting them. That's childish.

I feel the military in general should have more respect for civilians. This thread shows that we don't respect their opinions, so I begin to wonder why some of us are even in the military. Our ethos is to basically protect their right to free speech (among other things...), so complaining when they do is counter-productive in my opinion.
DON'T presume to lecture me. We've had the loonie left forever. Most civilians are just fine, but there is a corps of "useful fools" who constantly whine about anything military.
I respect civilian authority, and if the Government of Canada says we're out, we're out. Notice I said the Government of Canada, not the lunatic fringe.
Perhaps you don't know that the Government of Canada is elected by civilians, not the lunatic fringe who want peace at all costs.
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

OldSolduer said:
DON'T presume to lecture me. We've had the loonie left forever. Most civilians are just fine, but there is a corps of "useful fools" who constantly whine about anything military.
I respect civilian authority, and if the Government of Canada says we're out, we're out. Notice I said the Government of Canada, not the lunatic fringe.
Perhaps you don't know that the Government of Canada is elected by civilians, not the lunatic fringe who want peace at all costs.
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
I'm not lecturing you at all, but I take exception when you call those who have a differing opinion than you a "lunatic".

All people - especially those who are representing our rights (including freedom of expression) overseas - should have an open mind, and should accept that others' opinions may be different than our own. While I agree with what we're doing overseas 110%, I also accept than some people may not agree with what the military is doing. Guess what? They have that right, too.

Nauticus said:
I'm not lecturing you at all, but I take exception when you call those who have a differing opinion than you a "lunatic".

All people - especially those who are representing our rights (including freedom of expression) overseas - should have an open mind, and should accept that others' opinions may be different than our own. While I agree with what we're doing overseas 110%, I also accept than some people may not agree with what the military is doing. Guess what? They have that right, too.
Yes they have that right.....and like I told you... don't presume to lecture me. You haven't heard a word I've said. Go guard a shopping mall. I notice by your own profile you are applying to join. Good. In the meantime, please take note of our experience and tours. Have a nice day.

Back