• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian's fight in Afghan marijuana fields

Those fields make Ricky's Martian Pot Fields look like amateur hour!  I can see next season's TPB:
(enter Julian and Ricky)
"Julian, I'm going to join the army"
"WTF for, Ricky, you're too old, you're too fat, and you smoke too much dope!"
"F*** Julian, haven't you seen the news?  Those LOVE TREES (aka "LAV Threes") are all covered in dope.  It's like they're calling my name!"
(enter Bubbles)
"Ricky, yer all frigged up like a s*** sandwich!  Them's ain't smokin' the stuff, they're using it to hide from the Taliban"
"Tally man?"
"Jesus H Christ you're dumb, Ricky.  TAL-I-BAN.  TAL-I-BAN.  You know, those c*** s*****s with bad hair cuts and make up and all that other s*** on them."
"You mean KISS?"
"Ricky, if you weren't my friend, I'd hit you"
(julian takes a drink)
(enter Rick Hillier)
"Now, I know you boys want a big honkin' dope deal, but if you really want to help, here's what you do"
(exuent Rick Hillier, Ricky and Julian)
"Now THAT'S what a smart Ricky looks like.  Come on, kitties"
(exit Bubbles)

I was passed on this link a while ago.  Many years ago the Royal Marines did an experiment where they gave a platoon acid during an FTX to see what would happen.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/8956152212980636/marines_on_lsd/*darthdoctrinusvideo

Heh.  I've put up a post on this topic at The Torch: http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/10/rope-dope.html.

On a serious note, though: the RCMP has considerable expertise disposing of marijuana crops - has anyone at NDHQ talked to them about how to destroy cultivated pot in the field?

von Grognard said:
Those fields make Ricky's Martian Pot Fields look like amateur hour!  I can see next season's TPB:
(enter Julian and Ricky)
"Julian, I'm going to join the army"
"WTF for, Ricky, you're too old, you're too fat, and you smoke too much dope!"
"F*** Julian, haven't you seen the news?  Those LOVE TREES (aka "LAV Threes") are all covered in dope.  It's like they're calling my name!"
(enter Bubbles)
"Ricky, yer all frigged up like a s*** sandwich!  Them's ain't smokin' the stuff, they're using it to hide from the Taliban"
"Tally man?"
"Jesus H Christ you're dumb, Ricky.  TAL-I-BAN.  TAL-I-BAN.  You know, those c*** s*****s with bad hair cuts and make up and all that other s*** on them."
"You mean KISS?"
"Ricky, if you weren't my friend, I'd hit you"
(julian takes a drink)
(enter Rick Hillier)
"Now, I know you boys want a big honkin' dope deal, but if you really want to help, here's what you do"
(exuent Rick Hillier, Ricky and Julian)
"Now THAT'S what a smart Ricky looks like.  Come on, kitties"
(exit Bubbles)

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Thanks for that VG, and I'd like to nominate you to write the TPB Remembrace Day Special.

Babbling Brooks said:
Heh.  I've put up a post on this topic at The Torch: http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2006/10/rope-dope.html.

On a serious note, though: the RCMP has considerable expertise disposing of marijuana crops - has anyone at NDHQ talked to them about how to destroy cultivated pot in the field?

Is napalm still legal?

I have a question regarding destroying the greenery...Is pot as much of a cash crop to the Afghans as opium poppy?  I know there was some discussion on the pro's and con's of destroying the opium poppy fields, what with it being a major export and all, but is there the same discussion in regards to their weed?  (Again - ill-informed civvie over here.  If I'm out of line asking...simply say so)

Smoke has a valid / serious point on this humorous thread, from what I understand the Canadian forces in the 'gan don’t have an official drug eradication policy ... I think the issue that the guys are dealing with is the Taliban using the pot fields as cover which of course is a different story

I would love to see a pic of the so called pot-mobile.  I can see the guys parodying the Trailer park boys as they go about their day ... way to funny.

von Grognard awesome post! 

Vinny said:
From what I understand the Canadian forces in the 'gan don’t have an official drug eradication policy ... I think the issue that the guys are dealing with is the Taliban using the pot fields as cover which of course is a different story

Vinny was able to articulate my question more efficiently, with regards to an eradication policy, or more accurately, a lack thereof.    I can certainly understand the issues with the Taliban and others using the fields as cover, I was referring more to an overall policy in regards to dealing with the drug(s).  I suppose if there isn't a policy on opium, there likely isn't one on the green stuff either.  However, I don't wish to speculate.

Babbling Brooks said:
[/quote

Most common RCMP methods:
1) machete
2) axe
3)chain saw
4) pile and burn
5) stand up wind when not using an incinerator

As for over there- there are several manufactures of heavy duty brush cutters that mount on a hydraulic boom and clear brush and to a certain extent landmines and IED's. Pro Mac manufacturing in Duncan BC has several variants: http://www.promac.bc.ca/brushcutter.htm and
http://www.promac.bc.ca/demining/homepage.htm

Why destroy a farmer's crop?  No crop insurance over there.  Want to lose the 'Hearts and Minds' war real quick?

There is no LCBO in Kandahar province.  Culturally, alcohol is a dead issue.  Dope is the option.  We could at least leave the poor guys that.

Tom

sm0ke said:
I have a question regarding destroying the greenery...Is pot as much of a cash crop to the Afghans as opium poppy?  I know there was some discussion on the pro's and con's of destroying the opium poppy fields, what with it being a major export and all, but is there the same discussion in regards to their weed?  (Again - ill-informed civvie over here.  If I'm out of line asking...simply say so)

I had never heard of weed in Afghanistan.  Seems an odd crop, considering how much water the plants tend to need.  
If you are going to destroy the opium poppies, you would need to destroy the cannabis as well.  Drug money is drug money.  
I bet those guys that used it for cam regret using it.  IMO the stuff smells like ass and it lingers like crazy.  Watch to see the Dutch army all of a sudden get interested in an ISAF deployment.  

As far as the "poor farmer", we need to find a solution to that problem.  I wonder what would happen (since we are throwing money at this place like crazy) if we bought the crops at a price double what the drug lords are paying?  With the understanding that it was their last drug crop.  Then help them get into farming normal things that don't fund our enemies.  Obviously, the plan would take more work than that. 

zipperhead_cop said:
I had never heard of weed in Afghanistan.  Seems an odd crop, considering how much water the plants tend to need.  
If you are going to destroy the opium poppies, you would need to destroy the cannabis as well.  Drug money is drug money.  
I bet those guys that used it for cam regret using it.  IMO the stuff smells like *** and it lingers like crazy.  Watch to see the Dutch army all of a sudden get interested in an ISAF deployment.  

As far as the "poor farmer", we need to find a solution to that problem.  I wonder what would happen (since we are throwing money at this place like crazy) if we bought the crops at a price double what the drug lords are paying?  With the understanding that it was their last drug crop.  Then help them get into farming normal things that don't fund our enemies.  Obviously, the plan would take more work than that. 
Or how about we assist the Afghan government in organizing the planting and cultivating of both the opium crops and the maryjane fields with their farmers. One huge Afghan government enterprise whereby the farmers are paid for their crops which are then distributed internationally by approved organizations for use as "medicinal marijuana" where legal, and the same occurs for the opium crops, whereby the opiate derrivitaves are removed, processed and distributed to the world of medicine.

This would assist in ending, or at least easing, the current lack of affordable pain killing medications in numerous disadvantaged countries, and provide a reliable, legal and sustainable source of pain medication for the world. Imagine the boost to the Afghan economy and it's citizens if this were implemented properly. Afghanistan becomes the world's leading developer, producer and exporter of medicinal m.j. and opiate pain medication in the world. A steady and reliable source of income for it's farmers will go a long way towards reducing their willingness to play patty-cake with the Taliban by bringing arms etc over the border for use against those who wish to assist them in bettering their economic state and standard of living.

After all, what's a farmer to do if you destroy his crop....and he's got a wife and 5 or 6 kids to feed? If the Taliban are willing to pay him to smuggle arms or provide them with intelligence against us instead....maybe it's time we took away the incentive for them to negotiate with the Taliban. After all that farmer is just trying to get by and help his family to survive too on a daily basis.

As far as the "poor farmer", we need to find a solution to that problem.  I wonder what would happen (since we are throwing money at this place like crazy) if we bought the crops at a price double what the drug lords are paying?  With the understanding that it was their last drug crop.  Then help them get into farming normal things that don't fund our enemies.  Obviously, the plan would take more work than that.

Part of the problem is alot of the farmers have been pre paid for the crops, some times several crops in advance so the farmer is obligated to provide the paid for crops to the kind of people he doesn't really want to disapoint, this was explained to me by one of our terps how use to work as a harvester for the opium.

From what I saw the weed seemed to be pretty much for local use, at least in the areas I was in.

zipperhead_cop said:

Do not quote me but I believe the buying of illict cash crops has already been tried before. South America for one and I do seem to remember something along these lines occurring in Afghanistanin the 1980's or so. Next there is the bidding war with the drug lords and their "puto or platta" argueements. Anyone for some organically grown Afghanistan roast coffee? You have to remember that any cash crop worth growing has to be transported to markets both domestic and international, a big problem and costly. Also to be remembered is the Russians had as big a drug problem with their forces as the US did in Viet Nam.

edit: key board problems

But with my plan...we could possibly have....

WORLD PEACE!!!  ;D

Armyvern said:
But with my plan...we could possibly have....

WORLD PEACE!!!  ;D

There you go Veronica trying to put us all out of work!  What I am going to do, try selling LAV's to farmers.  LMAO

big bad john said:
There you go Veronica trying to put us all out of work!  What I am going to do, try selling LAV's to farmers.  LMAO

Perhaps they could employ us in "Quality Control."  ;)

How do we stop the drug problem?

Just a suggestion to those commanders who engage in Shura's in A-stan:

Ask the village elders / farmers about there religion. Ask them why Islam forbids alcohol. (To my basic knowledge it's because it "corrupts" the soul causes you to not be virtuous etc,) Then ask them what is the difference between being drunk (artificially happy, sometimes acting stupid, definitely not acting virtuous) and being high on dope (artificially happy, sometimes acting stupid, definitely not acting virtuous)

Its the old guilt trip technique which my parents used quite effectively when I was at the age of "experimenting" hopefully it would work at a Shura. I know it seems childish but worth a shot none the less.

career_radio-checker said:
Its the old guilt trip technique which my parents used quite effectively when I was at the age of "experimenting" hopefully it would work at a Shura. I know it seems childish but worth a shot none the less.

Ahhh yes, you are correct. But then we here have other occupations to fall back upon, and if not a UI and welfare system of which they have naught.

I still think my solution will work, if the details are worked out properly...and if they hire me upon my retirement!!

Best way to cut the crops is to use a mechanical scyth. But in this case one mounted on the front of a MBT. Cut the crop, collect it, then let it dry, then incinerate it as the RCMP do on the West coast.
If those pot plants are growing as well as they look to be, maybe a farming set up would work well for them. They could possibly grow stock for bio fuels of the near future. Or just plain old crops. Or grow hemp plants only with no THC to be used in industry.
One thing is for sure we need to keep the farmers on our side.

Back