• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on proper wear of new Bush Cap

Highland Laddie

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the CANFORGEN that spells out the proper wear of the new Bush Cap / Soft Cap that replaced the old 'Robin Hood' style hat (their words)? It states that the brim is to be worn downwards, and is not to be pushed upwards a la Aussie style. Can you believe someone actual got worked up on this issue, and then actually spent the time to issue a CANFORGEN?? And we have no other more pressing matters in DND?? ::)

The easiest and quickest path into the esteem of traditional military authorities is by the appeal to the eye rather than the mind. The 'polish and pipeclay' school is not yet extinct, and it is easier for the mediocre intelligence to become an authority on buttons than on tactics. (March 1925.) - Liddell-Hart, Thoughts on War, 1944

(It doesn't asnswer the question, but it's still a great quote from my files.)

Highland Laddie said:
Has anyone seen the CANFORGEN that spells out the proper wear of the new Bush Cap / Soft Cap that replaced the old 'Robin Hood' style hat (their words)?

No yet.

The only time I was ever jacked up for the Robin Hood Style wearing of the old bush cap, was at CFSCE in the field.  At my unit, they would be happy enough to see me wearing it at all.

Given that it is field kit, I'd think the personal comfort of the soldier comes into play somewhat... like sleeves rolled up/down.

During the 3 VP's Afgan tour as soon as it   seemed safe enough the brass arrived and during one of those infamous morale boosting talks so beloved   by the Brass .When one troop made the mistake of complaining of ammo shortages He got reamed for wasting same and then one of the sr. officers present starting roasting the troops for destroying Govt property ( field hats) by shortning the brims.
A friend who was there described as so surreal   as to defy belief.It would seem that Afganistan is considered a combat zone by everybody except NDHQ. For futher reference   read the the lessons learned   document put out by 3 VP and then (if memory serves came out a week after it) the Canforgen On modifying feild equipt. esp webbing.
Repeat after me, there are no problems ! Repeat   twice more. Any thing I tell you three times is true!      ::) ??? :dontpanic:

seems that the combat desk jockeys are doing their evaluation of field kit for use in the office again.  it always amazes me when your told what you can and cant do with your kit, yet when you ask about more ammo or equipment they dodge the question and turn it around in that because of you modifying your field cap or cutting stings off your CBTs that you are causing the equipment shortage. I havnt seen the Canforgen but it realy doesnt shock me at all. keep up the good work. Ubique

G .Dundas said:
For futher reference  read the the lessons learned  document put out by 3 VP and then (if memory serves came out a week after it) the Canforgen On modifying feild equipt. esp webbing.

Could you post some relevant quotes for those of us without access to these documents?  Sounds interesting.

Nothing new under the sun; I have in my possession copies of Canadian Army Routine Orders from WW II, which I used in the research of my second book, expressly forbidding the use of the anti-gas cape as a rain garment.  The order had to be repeated many times during the war, mainly because troops in the field just ignored it utterly.  I also have seen many great photos of the anti-gas cape being used as a rain poncho.  Considering that poison gas was never used during WW II (well, outside of Suffield, I mean ;) ) I think it was damn nice of those soldiers to use the anti-gas capes so cost-effectively, saving the gummint from having to buy rain ponchos over and above. 

I've seen some guys cut the brim on their combat hats. I was going to do it because i find the brim is just too big but i havent got around to it yet. Some people are really stupid about it and cut it WAY too short which often leads them to requiring a new one. I can see how this is considered a waste of funds.

I can also see why it's on the books as to how to wear something. Other wise someone is going to take it too far or just do something stupid, IE wearing the old field cap like a baseball hat and you just know someone is going to argue "Show me in the books where it says i have to wear it a certain way".

I remember reading something about the wearing of the field hat in a CANLANDGEN. And from what I remember, you can wear it just about any way you like... but you can't cut it !!!

Jungle said:
I remember reading something about the wearing of the field hat in a CANLANDGEN. And from what I remember, you can wear it just about any way you like... but you can't cut it !!!

Actually, according to the CANLANDGEN you can wear it any way that it comes out of the box... but you can't cut it or shape it. Contrary to the many pictures you see of "brims up, strings on top" type of wear.

Durning the past Arcon I wore mine backwards, you know , with the illum thingee's up front. My tp Ldr said" you know your hat is on backwards", I said yes sir!.
There is not a said method of wearing them by what I saw in the field, but some SSM's will still ream you out if it does not conform to "their" standard.

I'll wear mine backwards to push a few more buttons, lol.

12Alfa said:
Durning the past Arcon I wore mine backwards, you know , with the illum thingee's up front. My tp Ldr said" you know your hat is on backwards", I said yes sir!.
There is not a said method of wearing them by what I saw in the field, but some SSM's will still ream you out if it does not conform to "their" standard.

I'll wear mine backwards to push a few more buttons, lol.

Don't tell us.......John Cretin is your hero. ;D

GW

Its always good to have a shizen magnet in any unit.  Keeps the flack of the rest of us.

As Mr O'Leary clearly pointed out, these types of things are a sad indicator of level of professionalism possessed by the bureaucracy that commands us....

Interestingly enough, the very first page of the reserves section on the official Army web site, "The Armoury", shows a soldier wearing it up Aussie cowboy style.   :D

George Wallace said:
Don't tell us.......John Cretin is your hero. ;D

GW

Not quite.

this is the 1st time I've worn mine, I prefer the beret when dismounted, and a helmet when mounted. It's hard to drop the black beret after 30+ years.

Highland Laddie said:
Has anyone seen the CANFORGEN that spells out the proper wear of the new Bush Cap / Soft Cap that replaced the old 'Robin Hood' style hat (their words)? It states that the brim is to be worn downwards, and is not to be pushed upwards a la Aussie style. Can you believe someone actual got worked up on this issue, and then actually spent the time to issue a CANFORGEN?? And we have no other more pressing matters in DND?? ::)

What a stupid question!!
It comes as is and there is only one way to wear it!

OK so would that be with the strap to the front under the chin or to the back a la Sam Brown?

I find this odd because:

a) When wearing a headset, the brim is naturally forced down over the ears, thus muffling the sound.  Therefore, when wearing a headset, it makes more sense to push the brim up.

b) The CF used to issue Tilley hats (forget the model -T3, maybe?), which oddly, have snaps to snap the brim up.  Did anyone ever complain about that?

Maybe the solution is to have two hats: one left as it is issued for parade use, wearing around higher ranks, etc. and one for field use.

RN PRN said:
OK so would that be with the strap to the front under the chin or to the back a la Sam Brown?
It's too fit the back of you head so it stays on!!
Wait till I tell Demo!!

Maybe they should have just issued the Tilley.  It comes in Olive green.  There is no problem reverting the brim back to down style after having worn it up.  There's two straps -one for behind the head, one for under the chin.

And from what I understand, they are cheaper than the CADPAT bush hats.

Back