• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Car and Insurance

Morgs

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying or leasing a car in the next little while.
This will be my first car and I had a few questions.

1) Will having a dnd404 reduce insurance rates?
2) Does any insurance company offer military discounts? (this maybe a stupid question, but I really have no idea)
and not directly relating to insurance, but;
3) If driving to a course etc can you claim the gas on your taxes as a"business" write-off?
4) Would anyone suggest leasing over buying?

Cheers,
Morgs

Morgs said:
I'm looking at buying or leasing a car in the next little while.
This will be my first car and I had a few questions.

1) Will having a dnd404 reduce insurance rates?
2) Does any insurance company offer military discounts? (this maybe a stupid question, but I really have no idea)
and not directly relating to insurance, but;
3) If driving to a course etc can you claim the gas on your taxes as a"business" write-off?
4) Would anyone suggest leasing over buying?

Cheers,
Morgs

1.  No unless they accept your defensive driving course.
2. Personal Insurance does.  I use them and they give a good discount if you have both car and home with them.
3. No.
4. If you don't drive a lot then lease.  If you plan on driving a lot of long trips then buy and you won't have to worry about km charges.

The DDC often can reduce rates, but ya gotta ask.

CS Co-op has insurance (Ascentus) that is way cheaper than any others that I looked at (like almost half of Co-Operators). Open to public servants and CF members.

After family and friends have had problems with Cooperators, I will not touch them with a ten foot pole, or longer.  My advice is to find an Insurance Broker, who will be dealing with several different companies, and will be able to give you a wider range of services and choices.  They usually can find you the best deals. 

just a tip wait after ur basic and basic trade course to purchase/lease a car. because by exemple your going in borden after your basic it's gonna cost a lot more for everything over there. and u want your car to sit for almost 10 week in a row during basic on CFB St-Jean?

I personnally suggest that you buy a car, but don't go for a new one. Buy a 1 year old car with approx 20000km, and you'll pay it a lot less than a new one. At 20k km, the car is like new, has lost 15 to 30% of it's original value and the warranties are all still in effect. I also suggest you go for a japanese one, as the american cars lose lots of value over the years.

Also, keep in mind that when you lease a car, you pay for 2 or 3 years and after this period, you're left with NOTHING. What's cool is that you don't have to worry about selling the car when you get bored of it, and you don't pay for repairs but hey, new cars have warranties!

Just a tip, Honda's cost a lot in insurance, so if you don't plan to pay a lot of insurance, buy another brand. Also, my insurance company will offer me a reduction when i'll (hopefully) join the forces. Ask them and compare between all the companies you can find. You'll surely get a good price.

Just my opinion !

Cheers and good luck with your car!

Motorcycle,
My biggest mistake (not that I don't love my car to death) was buying a car.

Insurance, Gas, Parking all cheaper when I got riding. (If I got rid of the car the insurance would be less then if I just had the car Much much less)

I bought my mini and a month later bought an old Bike, fixed it up a bit and I only drive the car when I absolutely have to.

You can get a riding course just about anywhere and be on your bike proper quick.

Yeah I was looking at bikes too. Not practical for my needs though, urgh  :( . I had my M1 last year, but as you know that only lasts for 3 months and I couldnt be bothered to go back and get it renewed as I only needed it in the summer anyways.

As for buying a car, I would definately buy one over leasing, and get one a year or so old. I was looking at maily Mazda, Toyota and Honda, they seem to have the best mileage, safety rating and extras for the price. I'm also going to get standard as well. Which is a good segway for my next, completely off topic question. Are the Iltis and the Gwagen automatics?

Yeah NiTz I also noticed that the Civic's were rather more expensive in insurance than everything else. What insurance company said they would offer you a reduction upon joining?

Cheers,
Morgs

The Iltis is a std, I don't know about the GWgn.

Don't lease, start with a second hand car to keep you costs down.  If you buy from a dealer, they will try to sell you more rustproofing and an extended warranty.  I turned down both on my used Civic.  The numbers didn't add up.  This threw them off, as THAT stuff is VERY profitable for the dealer. 

Shop around. Do research on the web.  If it is just to get you from A to B, good. If you want the auto to project your personality, then there is a dollar cost to that as well.

Have fun!

Tom

Get a good used mid sized two wheel drive pickup. You don't have to haul all your buds around, got plenty of room for your kit, easy to maintain, good on insurance. They're normally taken care of pretty good. Haven't had the snot driven out of them, cause not many young guys own them.

Waterloo insurance offers a mil rate... (aka Guardsman Insurance etc)

Definatly don't lease... if you drive alot like most Army people.. you'll pay big $$$
Offer your DDC and ask about your 404's. I know State Farm will at least look at your quals... if you give them a drivers abstract, your tpt guy can help you out there. Some times mil drivers courses are counted as driving instruction, more often they'll look at you as though you have a toaster on your head... but try.

Always, always shop around to get the best deal and don't let the salesman push you around. If he asks you "Do we have a deal?" or "How can we make a deal for you today?" more than once or twice... leave... no matter how much you like the car. Of course it's up to you what you do.

good luck

Thanks for all the replies guys!
I heard state farm was really good so I gave them a call, but they said I needed my G for an absolute minimum of 3 years.
Anyways, probably won't be replying again as I'm off to St. Jean on Sunday. For those people going there for the 5th, c'ya there!!

Goodbye my dear Army.ca!
I'll visit when I can.
Thanks for everyones help, it's greatly appreciated and has been invaluable.

Morgs signin' out...
(for a while)

Back