• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBC National

armchair

Inactive
Reaction score
Live from Kandahar, Afghanistan

CBC NEWS: THE NATIONAL will air live from Kandahar, Afghanistan from Monday, March 6 to Wednesday, March 8. Chief correspondent Peter Mansbridge will provide an unparalleled, in-depth look at the challenges that Canadian Forces will face now that they have assumed leadership of the multi-national mission currently underway in the country’s insurgent-plagued south.

With Canadian General David Fraser set to take command of multinational forces in Kandahar, CBC NEWS: THE NATIONAL will highlight the scope of the newly expanded Canadian mission and the perils facing the more than 2000 Canadian troops now deployed in the region.

The security situation in Afghanistan remains highly tenuous for Afghans and Canadian troops alike. From the insurgent hotbed of Kandahar, CBC NEWS: THE NATIONAL will show Canadian audiences first hand both the danger and necessity of the Canadian mission.

In addition to the special features focused on Afghanistan and the ongoing effort to look at how Canadians are making a difference around the world, CBC NEWS: THE NATIONAL will continue to cover the local, national and international stories and issues that affect the lives of Canadians.

In case anyone is wondering, here's the schedule for The National. This is the Eastern Standard Time schedule from the CBC website:

The National regularly airs on:
CBC Newsworld
  Mondays, 9:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Wednesdays, 9:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Thursdays, 9:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Fridays, 9:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Tuesdays, 5:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.
Wednesdays, 5:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.
Thursdays, 5:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.
Fridays, 5:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.
Tuesdays, 9:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Tuesdays, 12:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Wednesdays, 12:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Thursdays, 12:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Fridays, 12:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Saturdays, 12:00 a.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Saturdays, 5:00 a.m. - 6:00 a.m.

CBC Television
  Mondays, 10:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Thursdays, 10:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Fridays, 10:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Tuesdays, 10:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Wednesdays, 10:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.

source: http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/program/index.jsp?program=The+National

I might have to end my boycott of CBC and tune in.

So far, I'd have to say that CTV has been far more fair in their coverage.

RangerRay said:
I might have to end my boycott of CBC and tune in.

So far, I'd have to say that CTV has been far more fair in their coverage.

I'll agree, but the fact that they're there and filming in A'ghan, well, it's interesting. I'll at least give it a watch

Who wants to give me a loonie for every time they'll mention 'peacekeeping'? :-X

The Gues-|- said:
Who wants to give me a loonie for every time they'll mention 'peacekeeping'? :-X

Sorry, I don't make enough money for that.

The Gues-|- said:

I can afford a shiny penny per "peacekeeping"...you'll still make quite a bit

Lets have fun with it and actually count how many times they use the words:
peacekeeping, or
peacekeeper

Then once each episode is done, post your count up on here. Easy way to do it is have a pice a paper ready and tick each side for the respective word.

sounds like a plan, AM.

As a counterpoint, I'm also going to tick off each time they say "combat"

I'm going to put some faith in Mr. Mansbridge here.............. Hopefully somebody makes it crystal clear to him that this ain't peacekeeping.  Here's hoping the Canadian public gets some real information about what we're actually doing over there.

gravyboat said:
I'm always up for a drinking game.  "MARTHA, where's my drinking pants?"

Phhtt, Drinking pants....when it comes to drinking games....there should be NO Pants....

I know, you need a shot for everytime they say peacekeeping

Sig_Des said:
Phhtt, Drinking pants....when it comes to drinking games....there should be NO Pants....

I know, you need a shot for everytime they say peacekeeping

I can drink, but thats just asking for a stomach pumping!  :eek:

Sh0rtbUs said:
I can drink, but thats just asking for a stomach pumping!  :eek:

Oh come on, you QYRang types are always bragging..... let's go!

Ok, so to set things straight.  We'll tack off 'Peacekeeping' and 'Peacekeeper(s)'.  Sig_Des, you suggested 'combat', should we follow through with that? and are there any other suggestions?  4 swigs for every time the word is used. bottle caps off.

Very good! CBC has done good job. Not one peacekeeper or any thing like that :cdn: :cdn: :salute:

Wow, impressed! If I played by the rules my throat would be dry.  good job CBC

Yep, reasonably impressive.  Hopefully the next few nights will be the same quality.  This series should really torpedo the Jack Layton scary claim of Khandahar being a warmongering anti-"Canadian values" American-style campaign.

Back