• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CC-177 Para Drop - PPCLI Para Coy, 25 Nov 12

Company Group has, officially, been done away with by the Army Terminology Board, yet it still persists in a lot of documentation.  The approriate (and doctrinal) term is combat team.

There are many documents from the Light Forces Working Group concerning a Parachute Combat Team.  It sees an combat team ideally organized as follows:

Infantry Company (115 pers)
FOO/FAC Team (5 pers)
Mortar Group (21 pers)
Engineer Troop (31 pers)
Recce/Pathfinder Section (12 pers)
Sniper Det (4 pers)
Medical Det (6 pers)
Rigger Team (3 pers)
Signals Det (3 pers)
UEO (1)

Danke.  205 jumpers is quite a robust sub-unit.  By any chance, would there be C16s in that team?

Regards
G2G

Nope, not under canopy anyways.  C-16s can't be jumped; I think it was either 3 RCR of CFLAWC that found this out the hard way...

Infanteer said:
Signals Det (3 pers)

Curious if this number is the Jump Coy Signallers,  or is this 3x pers det in addition to the Coy Sigs?

-Skeletor- said:
Curious if this number is the Jump Coy Signallers,  or is this 3x pers det in addition to the Coy Sigs?

I think your confusing Sig Ops which would man the det, as apposed to Inf with the advanced comms course that would be double hatted as inf coy signalers and riflemen.

Jon

Infanteer said:
Company Group has, officially, been done away with by the Army Terminology Board, yet it still persists in a lot of documentation.  The approriate (and doctrinal) term is combat team.

There are many documents from the Light Forces Working Group concerning a Parachute Combat Team.  It sees an combat team ideally organized as follows:

Infantry Company (115 pers)
FOO/FAC Team (5 pers)
Mortar Group (21 pers)
Engineer Troop (31 pers)
Recce/Pathfinder Section (12 pers)
Sniper Det (4 pers)
Medical Det (6 pers)
Rigger Team (3 pers)
Signals Det (3 pers)
UEO (1)

I had 186 under command once upon a time for an airborne exercise. It was a bit of a zoo but it worked not too badly, except for the attached crap hats who couldn't keep up and had to be backloaded with the PWs.  ::)

I'm all for small airborne companies and big airborne battle groups. Big company groups are pretty much a higher command cop out IMHO.

Old EO Tech said:
I think your confusing Sig Ops which would man the det, as apposed to Inf with the advanced comms course that would be double hatted as inf coy signalers and riflemen.

Jon

Platoon Signallers are Infantry, and on some occasions there have been Sigs doing it.  Sig Ops(now ACISS) are the Coy HQ Signallers(and are part of the Coy).

As well,  not sure what you mean by an advanced comms course.  Some Platoon Signallers haven't had a comms course,  others have had the basic course that Sig Pl runs.

A long time ago there used to be an Advanced Comms course that MCpls and Sgts could go on. I can't remember when they stopped running it, probably in the mid 90s.

dangerboy said:
A long time ago there used to be an Advanced Comms course that MCpls and Sgts could go on. I can't remember when they stopped running it, probably in the mid 90s.

What was on it? ATCIS Basic and Intermediate are pretty comprehensive for what a dismounted conventional element is likely to actually have, at least that's the impression I get...

Brihard said:
What was on it? ATCIS Basic and Intermediate are pretty comprehensive for what a dismounted conventional element is likely to actually have, at least that's the impression I get...

Yes that is what I was referring too just using older terms.  I realize that units also conduct TCCCS refresher/inhouse training as part of the IBTS/PCF cycle, but those are not functional replacements for the formal training in the ATCIS course.

Jon

how many full eqpt troops can be dropped from these beasts?

102 fully loaded Paratroopers
http://www.military.cz/usa/air/in_service/aircraft/c17/c17_en.htm

Another video, from Pegasus Spear.
CFCombat Camera video link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPrLtYYmRZ4&feature=youtu.be

Who says the Army and the Air Force can't get along?

Published on Dec 13, 2012

Members of The Third Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (3 PPCLI), along with 429 (Transport) Squadron, participate in an airborne exercise called Pegasus Spear.

OMG!!   :panic:

0:52 into the vid -- that's not an issue toque!! :eek:rly:    RSMs everywhere are having seizures!

OK,  I get the sarcasm ....

But

You have to have an RCR soul to even spot that discrepancy on one frame of a 3 minute video.  ;D

What's next?  Rock paint for fun and profit?

Eye In The Sky said:
Another video, from Pegasus Spear.
CFCombat Camera video link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPrLtYYmRZ4&feature=youtu.be

Who says the Army and the Air Force can't get along?

Published on Dec 13, 2012

Members of The Third Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (3 PPCLI), along with 429 (Transport) Squadron, participate in an airborne exercise called Pegasus Spear.

Wicked video. Man, there is nothing pretty about a round landing! ;D

Kirkhill said:
What's next?  Rock paint for fun and profit?

I'm sure if some of us came up with blue, black and gold paint made especially for rocks, the respective RQ's for each battalion would be paying our mortgages for years to come  ;D

MM

Back