• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CC130 Hercules Flight Safety Emergency

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
News Release
CC130 Hercules Flight Safety Emergency

CAF NR - 12.001 - February 21, 2012

OTTAWA - Nine Canadian Forces personnel are safe after evacuating from a CC-130 Hercules aircraft that caught fire during take off while training at the Naval Air Station Key West in the United States, Tuesday.

The aircrew successfully conducted an emergency landing after the aircrew noted an onboard fire. Naval Air Station Key West Fire & Emergency Services extinguished the fire, and damage to the aircraft is reported as being extensive. A Flight Safety Investigation is being launched from National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa to determine the cause of the event.

The aircraft and crew are from 435 Transport and Rescue Squadron of 17 Wing Winnipeg. They have all been examined by the on scene Canadian Forces Flight Surgeon as a precautionary measure.

“Noting the seriousness of fire aboard any aircraft, I am proud of the crew that followed through on their training, conducted the immediate emergency procedures, and got everyone out safely,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Richard Pamplin, Commanding Officer of 435 Transport and Rescue Squadron. “At times like this, my thoughts go to our families, and I am relieved to be able to confirm that the crewmembers are safe and remain in good spirits.”

The RCAF strives to optimize its contributions to operations and training without compromising on safety or on standards, and this incident will be thoroughly investigated.

The CC-130 Hercules aircraft and crews were operating in the area to provide air-to-air refuelling support for the training of new CF-18 fighter pilots from 4 Wing Cold Lake, who were conducting essential training focused on air combat tactics and air interdiction missions.

-30-

Old.

Easy to remember, none of the J-model are AAR equiped.

Glad to hear they are all OK.  Gee, was it one of "those" kind of fires where you get a new car out of it.  ;)

If as stated it was one of the older ones I think the warranty my be up. :crybaby:

CDN Aviator said:
Old.

Easy to remember, none of the J-model are AAR equiped.

Don't the propellers get in the way of the fuel hose.................or is that what happened?  ;D

my72jeep said:
If as stated it was one of the older ones

Once again, it was indeed one of the older model. The new model, the CC-130J, is not equiped to carry out AAR. The incident aircraft was with 435 Sqn, a unit that does not have CC-130Js in its inventory.

GAP said:
Don't the propellers get in the way of the fuel hose.................or is that what happened?  ;D
No to both.

Purported to be the photos of the aircraft. It is number 342.

It starts with "Once upon a time."

And then continues as

"Oh shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Over many drinks that will change................... ;D

BZ to the crew for handling this quickly and effectively!  :nod:

Seeing the elevator and rudder control wires back-lit against the gaping burned hole makes me think that the crew handled the emergency very well and appropriately. 

Regards
G2G

Well done to the crew and the crash-rescue folks!

Back