• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CC130 Hercules Flight Safety Emergency

Ya see, that is what happens when you smoke near the back of the aircraft on an AAR flight  ;D

In all seriousness though, they did a great job getting it safely back on the ground with everyone okay.

Looks like the fire punched a hole straight up through things....I'd almost wonder if an oxygen tank sprang a leak or something? 

That said, I've never been in a herc, so what would I know.

I'll go back to my lane.  Glad the crew are OK.

NS

GAP said:
Don't the propellers get in the way of the fuel hose.................or is that what happened?  ;D

Sometimes a couple of pictures will help....

CC-130H (T) with fuel hose deployed in a refuelling pattern with CF-18's

WEB2011-DE93E-01.jpg

Closeup of tanker w/ fuel hose housing on the outside of the wing.

IMG_5412.jpg

New CC-130J Hercules - no AAR refueling capability.

IMG_7751.jpg

A CC-150 Polaris tanker - the RCAF's other refueling platform.

IMG_4684.jpg

From a Toronto Star article...

Canadian officials are releasing few details and even directed staff at the U.S. airbase, which trains fighter pilots, not to speak to Canadian reporters about the emergency landing and or damage to the plane.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1135032--fire-breaks-out-on-military-aircraft-all-nine-crew-evacuate-safely

And yet the pictures got out...

.... via the Directorate of Flight Safety (CAVEAT - The investigation is NOT over yet):
The accident occurred during a touch and go at Naval Air Station Key West.  During the take-off just prior to the aircraft becoming airborne, the Loadmaster, who was seated in the rear of the cargo compartment, heard an electrical buzzing sound and observed an orange jet-like flame shoot across the cargo ramp from left to right at floor level.  He then unbuckled his harness and was reaching for the fire extinguisher when an expansive orange fireball erupted, causing him to protect his head with his jacket.  Once the fireball receded, he proceeded forward and alerted the crew to the fire while calling for the takeoff to be aborted.

Concurrently, the aircraft had just become airborne and reached 10 feet above the runway.  With sufficient runway remaining, the Flying Pilot  landed straight ahead and aggressively stopped the aircraft while the Non-Flying Pilot notified ATC.  Once the engines were shut down, all nine crewmembers quickly egressed and moved upwind of the aircraft.  Crash, Fire, and Rescue services responded and expeditiously extinguished the fire.  The aircraft was extensively damaged and one crew member received a minor injury during egress.

The Flight Data and Cockpit Voice Recorders were recovered along with many parts related to the auxiliary hydraulic system, located in the aircraft’s rear.  The investigation team identified that a stainless steel braided flexible hydraulic line associated with the auxiliary hydraulic system pump was breached where it routed next to an electrical power cable.  The ongoing investigation is focussed on the maintenance history of the auxiliary hydraulic system.

More from The Canadian Press here.

Back