• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cdn. Forces to accelerate enlistment of recruits

MdB said:
Well, do you mean Mr. Trudeau and Liberal descendants with his/their Big Scissor? The cuts screwed more than it appeared to be...
note that Mr Mulroney & Mme Campbell contributed to the fiasco.... that brush can paint a wide stripe.

Somewhere in the post it was asked if a lot of guys coming back are ear-marked for trg schools. I don't know about a lot but there are people on the way home that have already been told they are getting posted out to schools. But even if the schools receive these guys there are still 2 really big questions that have to be asked.

1) Are these guys extra instructors on top of the normal cadre that is already in place or are they replacements that are late coming from the posting season?; and

2)Even if the experience from theater is getting posted to the schools can our system handle what they bring to the table? I mean we all know how Gagetown controls standards with an "iron" fist, so can anyone really imagine the vets from Afghanistan getting to show recruits what really works in actual combat? More than likely we are gonna force these guys to forget what they just spent 6 months living and go back to the Canadian Army's playbook that is seriously out-dated, with us always training for the last Operation we were on?

from what I remember, Gen Hillier has said that reservists interested in transfering to the Regs would / should be done in ten days, from start to finish ...............

eeyore063 said:
Somewhere in the post it was asked if a lot of guys coming back are ear-marked for trg schools. I don't know about a lot but there are people on the way home that have already been told they are getting posted out to schools. But even if the schools receive these guys there are still 2 really big questions that have to be asked.
Your second question is being talked about here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/48762.0.html

George Wallace said:
Edward Campbell said:
The first step is to work on retaining the good people we already have.  Why are so many good people leaving?
Could it be this new "Plug 'N Play" system and then added on to it the Fleet Management System ..............
I suspect it has more to do with the "blow-back" of FRP.

geo said:
from what I remember, Gen Hillier has said that reservists interested in transfering to the Regs would / should be done in ten days, from start to finish ...............
I don't thint such delay is possible...Just to get through the paper work (filling up forms, sending, examining, etc.) would maybe require 10 to 15 days (just to transfer from a reserve unit to another took me 6 months)

geo said:

:rofl:

Oh WOW....Thanks, Geo, for the laugh....my stomach hurts, and there's tears in my eyes!

geo said:

Sure would be nice.  Can't see it flying too well though, especially for those of us that would need to give 30 days notice for our current contracts.

Didn't RTFA in depth.  Isn't that 1 week offer rather than 1 week here are you boots, welcome to St. Jean?

navymich said:
Sure would be nice.  Can't see it flying too well though, especially for those of us that would need to give 30 days notice for our current contracts.

If you looked at that as 'Working Days', it may stretch into three months..... ;D

When I did a component transfer in 2001 it took 3 months for the recruiting center to get my paperwork.   I was with the Camron Highlanders of Ottawa.  You can spit on NDHQ from the front door of Cartier Square and the CFRC is a two minute walk.  I was ridding these people hard because I was unemployed and needed to start working full time again.  Finnally after two months I went back to the BOR and sure enough "oh here is your file right here."  It never left Cartier square, it was very frustrating. 

A friend of mine in Halifax re-enlisted after he couldn't find work.  He was a QL4 qualified MAREL only out for a year plus.  He went to the base hospital got his own file after they told him what kind of run around it would be.  45 minuets later back with his own medical file, CFRC Halifax didn't like that.  After he did all the run around he was waiting to be sworn in.  A friend at the MOG in the dock yard saw his posting MSG and printed it for him.  He took it in to the CFRC and said lets get me sworn in.  They asked what the paper was and he said it was his posting MSG, they were not empressed.

They have to start thinking outside the box and really think what could speed up some of the backlog.

:cdn:

10 to 15 days to get the big stuff taken care of......
if you can complete your 2050 (opready status) there is no reason at all that you cannot be slotted into a new unit while the paperwork catches up to you.  In the meantime, you could be put on Class C service for 180 days..... and get to work.

IMHO

geo said:

Well my CT went in the first week of June. I was told two weeks ago to figure it will still be another 6 weeks. So, that is approx 100 days, IF it only takes 4 more weeks like the recruiter told me. That is only 90 days extra.

The Paperwork for my CT left my unit's ROR Yesterday morning. Almost a month after I put in the paperwork.

I'll start the clock now though.

navymich said:

You would think though, that a CT to the Reg Frce would negat that...just make it a policy for CTs that the 30 days can be waved off...

Sig_Des said:
The Paperwork for my CT left my unit's ROR Yesterday morning. Almost a month after I put in the paperwork.

I'll start the clock now though.

You are lucky, I made a CT request to my CFRC more than a month ago and they have not even bothered to contact my unit yet.

Mud Recce Man said:
You would think though, that a CT to the Reg Frce would negat that...just make it a policy for CTs that the 30 days can be waved off...
It would be nice to make that a policy, and recently I have seen a wide variety of time spans.  Some are lucky enough to be given enough notice to their new swearing in dates, and have had a couple months to plan.  Others have been expected to go within the week.  And as much as I would like to run out the door as soon as I am given my offer, I also realize that I hold a lot of secondary duties, and a replacement is required too.  I'm sure this is the case with many Class B/C's too.  There was also one case recently where a member was going to be held until the end of their contract, but that was quickly questioned and negated.

ark said:
You are lucky, I made a CT request to my CFRC more than a month ago and they have not even bothered to contact my unit yet.
Have you contacted CFRC at all?  You need to be proactive as well.

Sig_Des said:
Des, good to hear that it is finally in motion!  But why the requirement to go through your unit instead of you going directly to CFRC?

Mich, remember the process...

Paperwork to CFRC, CFRC contacts unit, unit sends paperwork to CFRC, CFRC begins scheduling and reviewing file. Plus there was some confusion between the unit and the CFRC with this CT request, and an older one that I'd had to put on hold. Either way, the ball is rolling, and if it slows down, I'm gonna keep kicking it.

navymich said:
Have you contacted CFRC at all?  You need to be proactive as well.

Yes, numerous times now both in person and by phone. I am going there back soon to speak with the upper layer.

geo said:

;D Ha Ha Ha,  Oh, wow, that Gen Hillier has such a downhome sense of humour doesn't he? Ten days! That's a good one. They are going to have streamline the process in a HUGE way to make that happen. CT's seem to be just as lengthy (sometimes longer) than an off the street recruit. Who hasn't heard "its easier to process if you don't have previous service?"

I'm just wondering if a) the schools can handle the increases in course loads (ie infrasture, instructors, support) and b) the supply system can keep up  (ie get all things that the new influx of new people will require; training supplies etc.).

Back