• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cdn. Forces to accelerate enlistment of recruits

navymich said:
It would be nice to make that a policy, and recently I have seen a wide variety of time spans.  Some are lucky enough to be given enough notice to their new swearing in dates, and have had a couple months to plan.  Others have been expected to go within the week.  And as much as I would like to run out the door as soon as I am given my offer, I also realize that I hold a lot of secondary duties, and a replacement is required too.  I'm sure this is the case with many Class B/C's too.  There was also one case recently where a member was going to be held until the end of their contract, but that was quickly questioned and negated.

I will go in 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, whenever.   ;D

My Secondary or for that matter, Primary duties can be filled by one of the other folks in our shop.  Maybe I will take some flak for this but...I think the Reg Frce should trump the Res Frce for priority, especially in the current tempo the CF is at.  I know when I asked this exact question at CFRC, I was more or less told "if the unit CO will not willingly allow an early release, then I am quite confident a phone call would clear the matter up".

My unit, KNOWING I am actively CTing, has been proactive and is ready for the "2 weeks notice to move" scenario...I think any unit would be the same if they were smart.  There is currently a "short list" of potential replacements for me (I have pretty specific skills and education that go along with my job at this time) and my Mcpl who is also CTing to ATIS, so if/when we get a call, they already have some phone numbers to call.  Being that my file is in for PLAR now in Borden, I think its a smart thing for them to do.

Des, seen.  I thought you meant that your actual paperwork had started at the unit level.  I was lucky in the fact that CFRC started scheduling my stuff even without the receipt of anything from my unit.

Ark, keep at it, and good luck.

MRM, that's good for your unit to know and be prepared.  But for every one like yours, there are others that either can't or won't prepare, and also those members that don't tell there units for various reasons.

Personally, mine has been taking awhile, but not much fault with the system.  It is simply due to my sailing schedule and trying to coordinate that with all that is required.

Af ew thoughts:

McG:  You are correct, we are seeing the impact of FRP.  We made reduction targets in the 90s by not recruiting (and paying a lot of money to folks who were getting out anyways), so the age profile of the Reg Force is badly skewed.  Many folks are reaching the 20 / 25 / 27 year points and releasing.  When you look at releases by years of service, rates of release are normal.  But because we're a military of old farts the higher attrition rates for people at those points skews the overall numbers higher.

Mud Recce Man:

Unfortunately, there are many reserve units that if not sabotage CTs, at least make them difficult.  Some is inertia, some is COs not wanting to lose "their" soldiers.  A swift kick in the *** is needed to Reserve unit COs, perhaps along with some encouragement - if every Army Reserve unit had the same number of CTs as 55 BNS (highest number in the Army last year) we'd have over 1200 trained folks transferring to the Reg F.  (CTs aren't a complete solution, though, since only 40% of CTs stay in the same occupation.  The other 60% remuster on joining the Reg F).  Admittedly, such a large number of CTs would have a severe impact on the Reserves, but most CTs are Pte/Cpls, with a smattering of OCdts and 2Lts as well.

Kincanuks makes an important point: the rest of the training system has to be aligned to facilitate expedited recruiting.  The last minor surge in recruiting saw platoons of PATs hovering around Borden.  We can't afford to let motivated soldiers fester and rot for months (or years); we need to schedule intake to meet production requirements (Eek!  I've been around TDOs too much).

Spartan said:
I'm just wondering if a) the schools can handle the increases in course loads (ie infrasture, instructors, support) and b) the supply system can keep up  (ie get all things that the new influx of new people will require; training supplies etc.).
nope.

Bottom line. We can't handle an influx.  Probably wind up in holding platoons until we send all our one hook privates on leadership courses to make instant NCO's

nah, more like resignation. You want to taste bitterness? Come to my office: bitterness, mixed with equal parts shattered dreams, and juuuust a hint of crushed expectations. Makes for a spicy cocktail.

paracowboy said:
nah, more like resignation. You want to taste bitterness? Come to my office: bitterness, mixed with equal parts shattered dreams, and juuuust a hint of crushed expectations. Makes for a spicy cocktail.

Para, you sure you're not a Sig? Because I've been drinking a lot of those cocktails recently

Para,

Is the inability of the system to handle additional recruits a problem of shuffling paper or lack of facilities or both? 

The paper shuffling side can be fixed fairly quickly, I would think, through the addition of sufficient funds for computers, civilian staff, etc, plus a reasonable amount of ass-kicking by your leadership.  Is that likely to happen?

Facilities present a more difficult problem, since they require a LOT of funds and considerable time to build or even refurbish.  But I'll be the US Army has plenty of facilities available, especially for basic and advanced combat arms training.  All you'd need to do is add recruits and experienced staff.  A senior sergeant (or warrant, perhaps -- I'm not all that familiar with your system), a few platoon sergeants and corporals with loud voices and an overbearing manner (yes, I'm having flashbacks of Fort Ord, 1966). 

Just a thought.

Jim

Lack of staff, equipment, and facilities.  Some pers finish their first contract waiting for a course to open up.

Old Guy,
here's your answer:
DueyT said:
Lack of staff, equipment, and facilities.  Some pers finish their first contract waiting for a course to open up.
The Liberals destroyed us. We've reached the nadir, and it's going to be pure hell to try to crawl back out. Expectations are unrealistic, unless we shut down ALL non-operational functions, and just train recruits.

Sig_Des said:
Para, you sure you're not a Sig? Because I've been drinking a lot of those cocktails recently

Trust me Des, it's not gonna get better after your CT.  ;D

Sounds like the next annoucement will be "CF cancels all BTEs, sailing schedules, shuts down Air Force FOLs to train influx of new personnel."

I don't know why they just don't say "we can't train the people we need 'cause the Liberal government of a decade+ screwed us, we have never recovered from FRP and were up shite creek without a paddle or a bucket".

The time it will take to get the infrastructure, kit and instructors ready across the board for all Commands and respective trades will obviously not happen in time to handle the new recruits, so the real question is...

what will be the interim solution?  or is there one?  Back to Regimental Battle Schools for the Army?  Move away from the "amalgamated" Recruit/Officer basic courses where possible and "train within the Command"?  Not sure about St Jean but I am assuming they are going full-tilt, with no room to add more in there.  So if not there, then where?  Class B callouts to qual'd Reserve NCOs for 2-3 years to flush out the Reg Frce instructor cadre's so the Reg Frce isn't drained at the units to train these new people being shovelled thru?

I know the LFAA TC Det Aldershot is running a YRAP program for BMQ/SQ/PLQ courses to try (and it is try) to keep up, any other areas doing this at their TCs?

You would think that the CDS isn't blind to this problem, so one has to wonder what is the next trick he has up his sleeve...

Are the course loads maxed out...can they carry more personnel through them? Even in an interm, if they could carry 1/2 again of personnel through course, it would help.

my 1 cent. (I need the other one)

BMQs will be conducted at different bases across Canada this fall so that may handle the increase but there is still the QL3 issue to be dealt with.

Springroll said:
Do you know how much of a backlog the QL3 courses have right now?

Well I have some PATs working for me now in Borden that are waiting on the outside 18 months for their AVN QL3......

Proud Forester said:
Well I have some PATs working for me now in Borden that are waiting on the outside 18 months for their AVN QL3......

Holy Cr*p.....that is quite the wait!

I am hoping I don't have to wait that long.... :(

Well a buddy of mine waited like 1 month. I dont know why, but people comming off the same basic are on different QL3s.....so I dont understand..

Back