• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CEOTP (Continuing Ed Officer Trg Plan) 2003-2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason I forgot to reply back to this thread after your responses, but...

Thanks for your help!

Now, on a side-note, when applying for the RCAF, can I apply for both RMC - ROTP Pilot and CEOTP - Pilot? Or do I have to pick just one?

if you had the choice, which one would you pick? This is the biggest dilemma of my life. I'm in cadets and I just LOVE the military atmosphere and the sense of family you have, plus how disciplined it makes you. I'm really gonna miss that in Seneca when I'm not gone flight training. But, on the other hand, I would love to become a pilot earlier (8 years total for RMC vs 4 years total for CEOTP) which would give me a longer and potentially more fruitful career. I also want to compete in cycling, which RMC seems to have had a team in the past for. I would love to study Aerospace Engineering at RMC since anything related to aviation is my passion, and I really enjoy physics in all forms.

Also, which one would give me a better chance of getting into? RMC most likely sees more applicants than Seneca due to it's appeal, so I'm assuming CEOTP would be less competitive and therefore easier to get into? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My current marks range from 76% in Advanced Functions (Hopefully I can bring them back up) to 89% in Physics and French. I should also be getting my Glider Pilot Scholarship this summer hopefully. Although I'm kind of forced to take a year off after high school because I need to wait for my citizenship to come in. I'll be working throughout the year, and also will be focusing on cycling.

I've just spoken with a Pilot who sits across from me: here's the coles notes.

Both entry plans end with the person having a University Degree.  RMC will give a "hard" engineering degree which is the appeal to some applicants.  Seneca (CEOTP) doesn't give the "hard" engineering degree, however with CEOTP you are getting your flying qualifications while attending school - this means that in your final year of school you're a fully qualified "pilot" and only need to pass your final year of school.  With RMC you do not get your flying qualifications while attending school, at the completion of the degree you will need to attend the appropriate courses to become a military pilot.

---- Keep in mind the above is the coles notes of what I was told, I am not a pilot, I do not have an engineering degree, and my specialty of knowledge is Health Services; as such if there are others who feel differently or have added information please feel free to add your comments.

As for applying to ROTP and CEOTP concurrently, again my specialty is Health Services - however as both entry plans are Officer entry plans I believe you can - with that said, it's best to confirm with your Recruiter/File Manager.

AliTheAce said:
For some reason I forgot to reply back to this thread after your responses, but...

Thanks for your help!

Now, on a side-note, when applying for the RCAF, can I apply for both RMC - ROTP Pilot and CEOTP - Pilot? Or do I have to pick just one?

if you had the choice, which one would you pick? This is the biggest dilemma of my life. I'm in cadets and I just LOVE the military atmosphere and the sense of family you have, plus how disciplined it makes you. I'm really gonna miss that in Seneca when I'm not gone flight training. But, on the other hand, I would love to become a pilot earlier (8 years total for RMC vs 4 years total for CEOTP) which would give me a longer and potentially more fruitful career. I also want to compete in cycling, which RMC seems to have had a team in the past for. I would love to study Aerospace Engineering at RMC since anything related to aviation is my passion, and I really enjoy physics in all forms.

Also, which one would give me a better chance of getting into? RMC most likely sees more applicants than Seneca due to it's appeal, so I'm assuming CEOTP would be less competitive and therefore easier to get into? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My current marks range from 76% in Advanced Functions (Hopefully I can bring them back up) to 89% in Physics and French. I should also be getting my Glider Pilot Scholarship this summer hopefully. Although I'm kind of forced to take a year off after high school because I need to wait for my citizenship to come in. I'll be working throughout the year, and also will be focusing on cycling.

Seneca still have to do at least phase 2, 3 and 4 though (I think they skip phase 1?), so you can add at least 3 additional years to the time you spend at Seneca.

As Buck_HRA mentioned, CEOTP students go through flying phases in between attending semesters at Senaca, so it takes a total of 4 years to get your BA in Aviation and to be a qualified pilot.

Just noticed this Pilot Event on Facebook for tomorrow (25-Nov-17)
https://www.facebook.com/events/139765729987302/

"Details:
Have you thought about becoming a Pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force? Consider the Continuing Education Officer Training Plan (CEOTP) Pilot Program.

This unique training program enables candidates to obtain a Bachelor of Aviation Technology and Pilot’s Wings over a four-year period. In the first year of this program, candidates will complete Basic Military Officer Training, followed by Phase 1 Military Flying Training. In their second year, successful candidates will move into the academic phase at Seneca College in Toronto, Ontario. During the remaining two years of this program, candidates will complete their military flying training and the remainder of their studies at Seneca College."

The event is tomorrow from 10am to 2pm at Seneca College Newnham Campus 1750 Finch Ave. East, Toronto, ON M2J 2X5

Aw man, I just didn't look at the reply early enough! I had the Santa Claus parade this morning so unfortunately didn't get to go :/

Thank you for letting me know though! Was there an alert or a notification you got that helped you find it or did you stumble across it by chance?

Anyone here who went and is willing to share some information with me? I'd really appreciate it.

I hope they run it next fall so I can attend it and gain some information on it, would have been really helpful.

AliTheAce said:
Aw man, I just didn't look at the reply early enough! I had the Santa Claus parade this morning so unfortunately didn't get to go :/

LOL.  :rofl:

How old are you?  ;D. Just kidding. Have a great day!

Roger123 said:
LOL.  :rofl:

How old are you?  ;D. Just kidding. Have a great day!

Hahah, I'm in cadets and the Santa Claus parade in Pickering is hosted by our sponsors, so it was mandatory for us to go.

If only I knew about the fair earlier, I could've asked to be excused :/

AliTheAce said:
Thank you for letting me know though! Was there an alert or a notification you got that helped you find it or did you stumble across it by chance?
There was an alert on Facebook by Forces Jobs: https://www.facebook.com/ForcesJobs.ForcesEmplois.CA/

Roger123 said:
What do you guys do in cadets? And what got you interested in cadets?
Suggest taking that conversation to PM or starting a new new topic :)

Roger123 said:
What do you guys do in cadets?

Cadets
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/board,12.0.html

Good2Golf said:
:nod:

It's a technical skill on its own, and many nations employ varying structures of non-commissioned members to do so -- the technical side does not need officership, many (myself included) would argue.  Nothing special about t, just exacting with little room for error, but that's it.

G2G

Thanks G2G. I was going to mention the Sgt Pilots of WWII (and the WO hel pilots of Vietnam) to reinforce the "apples and oranges", but much better coming from One Who Knows.

Good2Golf said:
Nothing special about t, just exacting with little room for error, but that's it.

Little room for technical error.

Personality error, on the other hand  :nod:

Bruce Monkhouse said:
And pretty much any moron can fly a plane......

From my experience as a civilian flight instructor I can state that this is not correct.  I've seen a number of people who just could not learn to fly an aircraft.  I've seen an even greater number that could figure out how to fly an aircraft, but only during daylight and good weather and God help them if they had system failure.  Not everyone can be a professional pilot.

dapaterson said:
Little room for technical error.

Personality error, on the other hand  :nod:

True, but then lack of personality isn’t limited to those with their hands on the controls.  It could also be the guy behind them who carries the flight pubs and makes the hotel bookings for the warriors up front. ;D

MAJONES said:
From my experience as a civilian flight instructor I can state that this is not correct.  I've seen a number of people who just could not learn to fly an aircraft.  I've seen an even greater number that could figure out how to fly an aircraft, but only during daylight and good weather and God help them if they had system failure.  Not everyone can be a professional pilot.

So the same as drivers on the road? ;)

Cheers
G2G

MAJONES said:
I've seen a number of people who just could not learn to fly an aircraft.
They probably could if they went to Seneca; apparently those folks are awesome. 

Since we've obviously given up any pretense of discussing RMC regulations and leadership, in favour of Pilot Personality Disorder.

As much as I would like to discuss pilot training and Seneca, that is a bit off topic for this thread.

MAJONES said:
As much as I would like to discuss pilot training and Seneca, that is a bit off topic for this thread.

Gee, ya think?

5Pp.gif

To get back to the difference between Seneca graduates and MilCol graduates, however, Isn't it fair to say that, unless they pick up a Bachelor's degree along the way, you won't find too many Seneca graduate pilots above the rank of Major?

I suppose that's OK, because the RCAF probably expects that the Seneca graduate will do their 20 years then go fly for Air Canada or Westjet  :nod:

And Journeyman, when did you acquire a copy of my picture ??? 

JesseWZ said:
The problem with every Tom, Dick and Harry having the opportunity to jump in front of the camera is that many of them are misinformed, uninformed, or just have an axe to grind. Think of the membership on this board. If we take a cross section of board membership and give them media privileges - do you think accurate information is going to get out? Or will it be contradictory, poorly researched, or possibly even inflammatory?

In the CFNIS, we deal with sensitive often serious cases. Often, media lines need to be drafted and the PAO in consultation with the case manager is the vetting authority for those lines. Would I want every MP with access to the information to be able to speak to it in front of the camera? Absolutely not. Often they aren't privy to all the available information in order to make an informed opinion. As I've seen here, too many people have an axe to grind and come out swinging without all the information, or choose to release selective information in order to influence opinion.

If the OCdts are truly unable to effect change - to whit - jeans, in their institution, and they feel they need to use the media as a cudgel, I would suggest they instead take their release and give themselves the privilege of wearing jeans all day, everyday.

Excellent points.  The CAF has nothing to hide when speaking to the media, but we really do need to keep media relations on a profession vice Trumpian level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back