• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - Female styles

Sparkplugs said:
Okay, I hate to beat a dead horse, but this has just come up recently for me, and I don't know what rights (if any) I have, or what I can do here.

I'm currently deployed, and I was told today that I could not wear my hair in double braids, tucked back behind my shoulders.  After I asked to see a copy of the dress regs, I was simply told, "It's because the camp chief says so."  There is no record of a different set of dress regs here in camp, in fact, when I looked them up, they were copy+pasted directly from the CFAO's.  I am just curious if people of higher rank have the authority to over-rule the CFAO's, as far as hair regulations go?  I was told by someone today that the camp chiefs are allowed to make the regs more stringent, but not more lax.  No one could explain why I am allowed to wear one braid here, but not two.  My WO says double braids are not allowed here, according to the regs, but that's not what the regs say, so I don't know where to go from here.  This may be fickle, but it's hot, bloody hot, and having my hair in two braids as opposed to a bun or one braid, doesn't weigh down so much on my head in this heat.  Anything else gives me a wicked headache.  I'm supposed to be getting married shortly, so I didn't want to cut my hair until after the wedding, ideally.  It's not a big deal in the big picture, I suppose, I just wondered who can over-rule the CFAO's and dress regs, so I have a leg to stand on, or not stand on, when presenting myself to the higher ups.  Thanks so much.

I downloaded and printed the pdf file with all the pictures and everything, but was simply told, "It's because I said so."  :-X  Thanks for any info you can give me.

Sparks I know here at CFSME all the females are told that braids are out for safety reasons (can get caught in our tools and equipment, etc.) eventhough it is clearly allowed by the Dress Regs.......

Wonder if your camp Chief or WO are imposing  the same deviation from the dress regs for safety reasons......

NFLD Sapper said:
Sparks I know here at CFSME all the females are told that braids are out for safety reasons (can get caught in our tools and equipment, etc.) eventhough it is clearly allowed by the Dress Regs.......

Wonder if your camp Chief or WO are imposing  the same deviation from the dress regs for safety reasons......

I thought the same thing at first, but then I was told that one braid was okay, two was not.

Sparkplugs said:
I thought the same thing at first, but then I was told that one braid was okay, two was not.

IMHO, I find that one braid can be tucked into the shirt when required for safety reasons.  With two braids, they are usually too short to do this.

I'm pretty sure the Camp RSM can make the rules more stringent if he wants.  I was at 2 Fd Amb when the new hair regs came out and our CSM told all the females that she did not want to see braids when they were wearing DEU for a unit parade.

PMedMoe said:
IMHO, I find that one braid can be tucked into the shirt when required for safety reasons.  With two braids, they are usually too short to do this.

I'm pretty sure the Camp RSM can make the rules more stringent if he wants.  I was at 2 Fd Amb when the new hair regs came out and our CSM told all the females that she did not want to see braids when they were wearing DEU for a unit parade.

When working around my engines, etc, I tied the two braids together and they went in my shirt.

The not wearing braids with DEU's is actually in the ceremonial dress reg section... it states that only a bun will be worn with DEU's, so that makes sense.

Sparkplugs said:
The not wearing braids with DEU's is actually in the ceremonial dress reg section... it states that only a bun will be worn with DEU's, so that makes sense.

Really?  I couldn't find that.

INFLAR said:
At work last night I was told that my hair (I am female) was getting too long to wear it simply down. I am growing it out (and know that I can get a chit for permission) but it was always my understanding that females are allowed to have their hair short enough that it was shorter than the bottom portion of the collar (where mine just touches the top of my collar). A Sgt (female) told me that my hair was not even allowed to touch the top of collar. I was wondering where I could find these hair standards since I really don't think what she told me is correct, and there's no way that I'm going to talk back to a Sgt without some documentation to prove that I'm right or wrong, haha. Any who, it would be great to clear it up.

As for the DEU question:

Hair must be up in a bun or french braid when in DEUs for ceremonial or parades.

The bit about females being allowed to even begin to wear their hair down in braids (vice only in a bun) came out in 2001 when I was deployed on operation overseas.

The change came into effect via a CANFORGEN. I can't find a copy of the CANFORGEN anymore because I've been posted 5 times and done 2 tours since it came out. Perhpas some keen staff Officer out there can dig up a copy of it.

The CANFORGEN specificly addressed "operations" in that while deployed on operations, the commander of the operation had jurisdiction ... (and, as a matter of fact, the Comd of the operation that I was on at the time of the COE of "braids" decided that women on his op would continue to wear their hair up and in a bun). It was ...

CANFORGEN 024/01 CDS 018 121705Z MAR 01

PMedMoe said:
Really?  I couldn't find that.

Also via CANFORGEN:

CANFORGEN 024/01 121705Z MAR 01

3. HAIR:
A. HAIR ON THE HEAD SHALL AT ALL TIMES BE WELL GROOMED AND CONSERVATIVELY STYLED. THE LENGTH, BULK OR STYLE OF HAIR SHALL NOT DETRACT FROM A POSITIVE MILITARY APPEARANCE OR PRECLUDE THE PROPER WEAR OF MILITARY HEADDRESS. STYLE AND COLOUR SHALL NOT PRESENT A BIZARRE, EXAGGERATED OR UNUSUAL APPEARANCE. UN-NATURAL OR UNUSUAL COLOURS, SUCH AS GREEN, BRIGHT RED, ORANGE, PURPLE, ETC., ARE NOT PERMITTED
B. MEN: HAIR SHALL AT ALL TIMES BE TAPER-TRIMMED AT THE BACK, SIDES, AND ABOVE THE EARS TO BLEND WITH THE MILITARY HAIR STYLE AND BE SUFFICIENTLY SHORT THAT, WHEN THE HAIR IS GROOMED AND HEAD-DRESS IS REMOVED, NO HAIR SHALL TOUCH THE EARS OR FALL BELOW THE TOP OF THE EYEBROWS: BE NO MORE THAN 4 CM (1-1/2 INCHES) IN BULK AT THE TOP OF THE HEAD, GRADUALLY DECREASING TO BLEND WITH THE TAPER-TRIMMED SIDES AND BE KEPT FREE FROM THE NECK TO A DISTANCE OF 2.5 CM (1 INCH) ABOVE THE SHIRT COLLAR. TAPER TRIMMED SQUARE BACK STYLES AND SHAVING OF ALL THE HAIR ON THE HEAD ARE PERMITTED. SIDEBURNS SHALL NOT EXTEND BELOW A LINE HORIZONTALLY BISECTING THE EAR AND SHALL BE SQUARED OFF HORIZONTALLY AT THE BOTTOM EDGE. (THE SIDEBURN SHALL BE NO LOWER THAN THE MIDDLE OF THE EAR, WHERE THE EAR IS MEASURED FROM THE TOP OF THE EAR TO THE BOTTOM OF THE EAR-LOBE) MOUSTACHES SHALL BE KEPT NEATLY TRIMMED, NOT BE GREATER THAN 2 CM (3/4 IN.) IN BULK, NOT EXTEND BELOW THE CORNERS OF THE MOUTH. BEARDS, WHEN APPROVED FOR WEAR, SHALL BE WORN WITH A MOUSTACHE AND SHALL BE WORN AS PRESCRIBED AT REF A. ONLY FULL, NAVY TRADITIONAL BEARDS ARE AUTHORIZED, IE, NO GOATEE OR VERY NARROW CHIN-STAY STYLE BEARDS OR EXCESSIVELY SHAVED PORTIONS OF THE FACE AND BEARDS SHALL NOT EXCEED 2.5 CM (1 IN.) IN BULK (REF A, FIGURE 2-2-2)
C. WOMEN: HAIR SHALL NOT EXTEND BELOW THE LOWER EDGE OF THE SHIRT COLLAR. EXAGGERATED STYLES, INCLUDING THOSE WITH EXCESSIVE FULLNESS OR EXTREME HEIGHT ARE NOT AUTH. BRAIDS, IF WORN, SHALL BE STYLED CONSERVATIVELY AND TIED TIGHTLY, SECURED AT THE END BY A KNOT OR A SMALL UNADORNED FASTENER. A SINGLE BRAID SHALL BE WORN IN THE CENTRE OF THE BACK. DOUBLE BRAIDS SHALL BE WORN BEHIND THE SHOULDERS. HAIR SHALL BE A MAXIMUM LENGTH, WHEN GATHERED BEHIND THE HEAD OR BRAIDED, WHICH DOES NOT EXTEND BELOW THE TOP OF THE ARMPIT. WITH THE PERMISSION OF A CO, A 60-DAY TRANSITION PERIOD MAY BE GRANTED TO A FEMALE MEMBER TO GROW HER HAIR LONGER FOR RE-STYLING, DURING WHICH TIME HAIR MAY EXTEND BELOW THE LOWER EDGE OF THE SHIRT COLLAR, WHILE MAINTAINING A POSITIVE MILITARY APPEARANCE, AND SUBJECT TO THE MEMBERS SAFETY. FOR PARADES AND CEREMONIES CONSISTANCY ALL FEMALES SHALL WEAR THE HAIR UP ABOVE THE COLLAR (FRENCH BRAID, BUN, ETC) PONYTAILS MAY BE WORN AT SEA ONLY, WHILE NOT ON WATCH AND PROVIDED IT IS SAFE TO DO SO. PONYTAILS ARE NOT TO BE WORN WHILE ALONGSIDE OR IN THE CONFINES OF THE DOCKYARD

You would think that in the 9 years since that CANFORGEN came out someone would update the dress regulations in the CF Dress manual.  I would never have thought to look at CANFORGENS if I had s female soldier ask me a question regarding hair regulations, I would have checked the dress pam and thought that it would be correct.

Moe,

Pics for you from Halifax site showing authorized hairstyles IAW all applicable CANFORGENS and Dress Regs. Pic for parades is found at the bottom of the page.

http://halifax.mil.ca/N4MAT/BCOMD/english/bcpo/hairstyles.htm

And, hair is my pet peeve ... so for all you male supervisors out there who don't know what's authorized for females (or is) ... check out the pics. Most male supervisors don't have a clue what is good to go for their female subordinates ... I know this because I pick up the chickies all the time for their "not on" hair styles" and braids half way down their backs/extending past armpits and always get a "well, my boss lets me wear it like this..." Guess what? He can't - it ain't authorized so he's wrong. I always, too, make sure to email them a pic of the below regs.

ArmyVern said:
Moe,

Pics for you from Halifax site showing authorized hairstyles IAW all applicable CANFORGENS and Dress Regs. Pic for parades is found at the bottom of the page.

And, hair is my pet peeve ... so for all you male supervisors out there who don't know what's authorized for females (or is) ... check out the pics. Most male supervisors don't have a clue what is good to go for their female subordinates ... I know this because I pick up the chickies all the time for their "not on" hair styles" and braids half way down their backs/extending past armpits and always get a "well, my boss lets me wear it like this..." Guess what? He can't - it ain't authorized so he's wrong. I always, too, make sure to email them a pic of the below regs.

Thanks Vern, I usually get one of the senior females in my unit to show the new ones what is the right way to put ones hair..........

Gonna add that link to my favorites on my DIN account....

ArmyVern said:
Moe,

I would also like for the males to find out what the regs are....  My saga is over, today.  Turns out, here's what happened.  Almost a week ago, someone saw me walk by with double braids.  He thought that it looked wrong, so he went up my chain with a pee-pee slap for me.  A bunch (6, to be exact) of men of various ranks sat around for a couple of hours and discussed my hair, and the hair regs.  They only had the words, not any of the pictures, so they misunderstood what was written, ie where it says "mulitple braids (cornrows) that extend below the collar shall be gathered into a bun", they thought that included my double braids, hence one braid being okay, and two being forbidden.  I found the pdf document, thanks to Vern, :) and downloaded and printed it.  I didn't want to start further crap, so I just put my hair in one braid and shut my mouth.

This morning, I went to clear out, and ran into the WO that had the issue in the first place.  He hauled me into his office, and made me explain all the female "hair stuff."  He didn't know what french braids, cornrows, double braids and ponytails were.  I showed him what each one was, then showed him the pictures at the end of the pdf file.  He says, "Oh, but that's the way your hair looked!"  I said, "Yes, Warrant."  He said, "So that was ok?  Like, that's what the regs says is fine?"  I said yes, and he apologized, and said, "I don't know what any of this girl's hair s**t is about anyway."

The apology was nice, and it's nice to know it was just a misunderstanding, and not just someone changing the regs on a whim because he doesn't like the way one looks.  But, it would have been nice if he would have done a bit of research, and looked up the regs, before I got ripped a new one for having something that was fine all along.  I try to always be in reg.  My braids are over my shoulders, not longer than my armpits, and not full of clips or anything.  Plain old brown, nothing fancy... yet I see girls with bleached hair on top and black underneath, girls wearing ponytails, girls with pink streaks, and no one says anything.  Bleh. 

Thanks so much for the info, Vern, my Sgt had me email it to him so he can use it to better inform himself and his supervisors.  He agrees that you should know what the standard is before you start jacking people up for it.

dangerboy said:
You would think that in the 9 years since that CANFORGEN came out someone would update the dress regulations in the CF Dress manual.  I would never have thought to look at CANFORGENS if I had s female soldier ask me a question regarding hair regulations, I would have checked the dress pam and thought that it would be correct.

Thanks Kyle.  :)

???

These regulations are indeed found in the CFP 265 Dress Regulations:

(Page 2-2-4A/2-2-4B)

b. Women (see Figure 2-2-3). Hair shall not extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar. Exaggerated styles, including those with excessive fullness or extreme height, are not authorized. Braids, if worn, shall be styled conservatively and tied tightly:
secured at the end by a knot or a small unadorned fastener. A single braid shall be worn in the centre of the back. Double
braids shall be worn behind the shoulders. Hair shall be a maximum length when gathered behind the head and braided
which does not extend below the top of the armpit. Multiple braids (cornrows) shall be directed toward the back of the head,
pulled tight to the head and secured at the end by a knot or a small-unadorned fastener. Multiple braids extending below
the lower edge of the collar are to be gathered in a bun. With the permission of a Commanding Officer, a reasonable period
may be authorized in order to transition from short to long hairstyles, during which time hair may extend below the lower edge
of the shirt collar; all the while maintaining a positive military appearance, and subject to the member’s safety.

c. Aboriginal Members. Aboriginal members whose spirituality embraces the wearing of braids, and who request in writing in
accordance with orders covering religious and spiritual considerations, shall be granted permission to grow their hair. Aboriginal member means a CF member who is a status or non-status Indian, Inuit or Métis. The member must declare to be an Aboriginal in the written request for this policy to apply. Permission shall be granted, subject to operational and safety requirements, in writing and recorded on the individual’s personal file. Advice on selfidentification and declarations of appropriate spiritual practices may be
obtained from NDHQ/Directorate Human Rights and Diversity (DHRD). For the transition from short to long hairstyle, hair shall not extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar and be styled neatly. Exaggerated styles, including those with excessive fullness or extreme height, are not authorized. Long hair that does extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar, and is not long enough to be braided, shall be gathered behind the head with a small, unadorned fastener of a colour that blends with that of the hair itself. As soon as the hair is long enough, braids shall be styled conservatively and tied tightly; secured at the end by a knot or small, unadorned fastener as above. A single braid shall be worn in the centre of the back, double braids shall be worn behind the shoulders. Hair shall be a maximum length when gathered behind the head and braided, which does not extend below the top of the
armpit.

NOTE
Female personal appearance on ceremonial parade in accordance with Figure 2-2-3; straight hairstyles will be gathered in a bun. This is also applicable for the cornrows.

Always remember to read the NOTES of the accompanying Dress reg folks --- some of you just read the para, forgetting that the notes exist. As for further ref of that note made to Figure 2-2-3 (found on page 2-2-15 of the CFP 265)... that brings you to this pic:

I'll just add that for all this info, I have a DWAN link to the CFPs.

ftp://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/Downloads/Dhh/CFPs/

Bzzliteyr said:
I'll just add that for all this info, I have a DWAN link to the CFPs.

ftp://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/Downloads/Dhh/CFPs/

Your link is bad.

Vern, most units probably haven't updated their links and pdfs for the updates on the dress regs.  That "note" only came out 3 or 4 years ago.  I had a bugger of a time finding it to show to my CWO when women were showing up on parade with loose braids.

Strike said:
Your link is bad.

Vern, most units probably haven't updated their links and pdfs for the updates on the dress regs.  That "note" only came out 3 or 4 years ago.  I had a bugger of a time finding it to show to my CWO when women were showing up on parade with loose braids.

The proper link is:

http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dhh/publications/engraph/cfps_e.asp?cat=6

Edit:  Army.ca doesn't seem to like links to FTP sites - the forum wants to put HTTP in front of the FTP address.

Strike said:
Your link is bad.

The hair up for DEU parades has been out for a very long time (vice only a couple of years). The CSM of every Unit should very well keep their links updated --- Dress & Deportment are, after all, the CSMs raison d'etre.

I can access my link from here on the DWAN. You'll also note that that note is showing ... in a 2006 modified version. I also know that the note was already in the CFP 265 when advising COs and RSMs on proper Dress Regs was my official secondary duty as the CSG supervisor and Clothing Liaison officer in Gagetown ... circa 2004 and 2005, prior to my posting to Charlottetown in May 2006. They paid me big bucks (with lots of headaches!!) for that secondary duty.

OCCAM, thanks for the update.

I will ensure it gets put up on my G3 site here at 34 Bde!

I've searched functioned and looked all over, I don't know what to do.

Right now I have medium length hair, it won't be long enough to put into braids or a bun by the time I go to basic. I have an exaggerated bob so it's way shorter in the back.
I was thinking of cutting it chin length before I go so it's "not extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar" But the thing is I have crazy hair (huge wavy curls) and it'll only get crazier if I cut it short and I'm pretty darn sure they're not going to give me time to straighten my hair every morning. I could cut it super short but then I'll look boyish and the crazy hair part would still be problem.

So what I'm really asking is; Will I get into trouble during BMQ for my crazy hair if I just cut it chin length? I read that " Exaggerated styles, including those with excessive fullness or extreme height, are not authorized"
Would that count towards my hair? I really have no say over what it does and I can't just "gel it" that would only be feeding the beast that is my hair.

Just to get an idea what I'm talking about there's a link to a photo of me I just took, there's no styling product in my hair, no blow drying, no curling, I just let it dry naturally.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/barmmy/ME/Picture0040.jpg

I know, I know, I have more important things to worry about than my hair. But any idea? Anyone?

First, from a crusty old WO... Do not panic. Never panic. You can not change the beast, so why worry about it?

Now, our regulations are regulations. How long until BMQ? Hair netting can go a long way towards getting things under control until it is long enough for a proper bun or other hair style.... Some of the ladies around these parts will surely share some of the tricks learned through trial and error.

They key wording in the regs is "natural". Exaggerated styles means, are you using gel, hairspray or wood glue to get your hair all crazy like?

Even the crustiest of old bastards understand that hair needs time to grow out... Now, on BMQ, and the rest of your training, there will be no leniency, however, when you get to your unit you can ask for permission to grow your hair out so you can dress it properly IAW the appropriate paras of the dress instructions.

(Wishing I was at my workstation so I could post the pics of hairstyle choices available... But alas, here I am on leave, talking Army stuff...).

Regardless of the outcome... Welcome to the family.  ;D

ETA: Oh hey now, look at ArmyVern's post dated May 04 2010. There is an MS Word doc attached with some pictures. Not helpful though if you do not have MS Word.

Barmecide said:
I've searched functioned and looked all over, I don't know what to do.

Right now I have medium length hair, it won't be long enough to put into braids or a bun by the time I go to basic. I have an exaggerated bob so it's way shorter in the back.
I was thinking of cutting it chin length before I go so it's "not extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar" But the thing is I have crazy hair (huge wavy curls) and it'll only get crazier if I cut it short and I'm pretty darn sure they're not going to give me time to straighten my hair every morning. I could cut it super short but then I'll look boyish and the crazy hair part would still be problem.

So what I'm really asking is; Will I get into trouble during BMQ for my crazy hair if I just cut it chin length? I read that " Exaggerated styles, including those with excessive fullness or extreme height, are not authorized"
Would that count towards my hair? I really have no say over what it does and I can't just "gel it" that would only be feeding the beast that is my hair.

Just to get an idea what I'm talking about there's a link to a photo of me I just took, there's no styling product in my hair, no blow drying, no curling, I just let it dry naturally.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac114/barmmy/ME/Picture0040.jpg

I know, I know, I have more important things to worry about than my hair. But any idea? Anyone?

The hair in your pic will not fly.

But, if you cut the front to chin length and tapered it up gradually to the shorter back of your head - that's fine.

I'll find you a pic of a tapered do that is long in the front that would pass the smell test. Just as the hair on the back of your head can't extend below the lower bottom of the rear collar, neither can your front. That's when it has to go up into a bun or into a braid (which still can not hang below the armpits by the books). You can submit a memorandum requesting "grow-out time" to be approved for you to wear it down when it's in that 'in between' stage where it's hitting the bottom of the collar, but is still too short to get into a bun. That's the stage that mine is at now. They'll go over that with you at BMQ. No worries.

The tapered cuts at # 1 & 4 in this link would fly too:

http://www.hairstyles-for.com/top-10-hairstyles/top10hairstyles.php

Back