• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Rank

What[u] is[/u] or [u]was[/u] your rank in the CF?

• Total voters
NCM replaced OR (other ranks) in the mid 1980s.

Senior NCO was the ranks of Lance Sergeant, Sergeant and Staff Sergeant, but now only the rank of Sergeant exists as a Senior NCO. Thus, "The Warrant Officer's and Sergeant's Mess" is used rather than the senior NCOs mess.

'Senior NCM' is a mis-nomer.  One would never say "Senior Other Ranks"  before 1985, so one should not sat 'Senior NCMs' now.  After all, senior NCM could mean a grey-haired Corporal with 35 years of service.

NCM replaced OR, it did NOT replace NCO.

TCBF has it right. It's amazing how many people persist in confusing "NCM" with "NCO", or calling a  WO a "Senior NCO" (i think I've even been guilty of that one...) We may employ our WOs as NCOs (as opposed to the US/Russian system of "in-between" officers and NCM), but they are rightly referred to as "WOs".

Cheers

PBI, I would venture to say that most WOs are comfortable with the concept of being senior "senior NCOs" (guilty of that too - and I have my warant framed - right here, next to me)

The US warrant officer is another animal completely.  Not comparable.  They are a class into themselves.

geo said:
The US warrant officer is another animal completely.  Not comparable.  They are a class into themselves.

I'm not familiar with US warrents how are they different?

US Warrant Officers are neither Officers nor NCOs

Candidates who successfully complete Warrant Officer Candidate School are appointed in the grade of Warrant Officer One. When promoted to Chief Warrant Officer Two, warrant officers are commissioned by the President and have the same legal status as their traditional commissioned officer counterparts. However, warrant officers remain single-specialty officers whose career track is oriented towards progressing within their career field rather than focusing on increased levels of command and staff duty positions.

They operate, maintain, administer, and manage the Army‘s equipment, support activities, and technical systems. WOs are competent and confident warriors, innovative integrators of emerging technologies, dynamic teachers, and developers of specialized teams of Soldiers. Their extensive professional experience and technical knowledge qualifies warrant officers as invaluable role models and mentors for junior officers and NCOs.”

Private Trained, on paper at least.

The uniform still says Private Recruit as no one can give me a straight answer as to when I'm officially allowed to wear the hook I was given or whether or not I'm supposed to wait for a CO's parade or what not.

My DEUs say Pte (T) though.

How many years does it take to become a corporal from "scratch"? (Private Recruit)

Four years.  In special circumstances it may be 3 - 3 1/2 years.  Mods, correct me if I am incorrect please.

Well, I read on Wikipedia in the Reserves, it only takes 2 years?! That doesn't seem right to me...

It depends on component and trade. Question is too broad to answer.

As far as I'm aware, in the reserves it is two years, though most regiments prefer it to be two years + a QL4 course.  I know a guy who did his 404s before his infantry course and as soon as he got back from his infantry course, he was slotted on a DP2A (now know as IPWSQ4 or something like that) and received his promotion before he even left for course.  He's not been in 3 years yet.

I've been told I'm half eligibile - 2 1/2 years in, but no QL4 course.

adonis said:
Well, I read on Wikipedia in the Reserves, it only takes 2 years?! That doesn't seem right to me...

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/049-05_e.asp

Should find what you are looking for there.

My response to this is "at what point in time in my career"? I've held many and give up such either voluntarily or otherwise.... >:D

Back