• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

While babysitting Booked_Spices house the water came back last weekend, and let me tell you. I would rather live in a box than deal with CFHA. I was told upon first calling that someone will only come if they pretty much feel like it. So after a few minutes of being cranky, they said they would make sure the contractor new this was important (That was after saying that the water is coming out of a light fixture and it would cost them more to fix a burnt down house than a leaky one). Then they send perhaps the most useless plumber on the planet who turns the water off in the house as a solution. I even called the rear party and found out they are just as frustrated with CFHA and there isnt much they can do but lodge a complaint and since its the government, that can't be done until monday. So lesson learned, I will never live in a Q. I much prefer renting my house in the ghetto to dealing with CFHA. >:D

Do you have to be married to live together in the PMQs? I'm moving up with my bf when he gets posted and we were hoping to get one of these (although now after reading all this I'm not sure!) Also, is it cheaper than renting?

daisiedupp said:
Do you have to be married to live together in the PMQs? I'm moving up with my bf when he gets posted and we were hoping to get one of these (although now after reading all this I'm not sure!) Also, is it cheaper than renting?

This issue has been covered before.  No unless you are common law or married and the PMQs rents are are usually the same as civilian street or sometimes even higher.

So you have to be married or common-law to live in PMQs? Sorry, I just needed clarification on that point.  And I understand that there is the option of living in civilian housing, but I thought alot of the bases were not really around civilian housing.

camochick said:
While babysitting Booked_Spices house the water came back last weekend, and let me tell you. I would rather live in a box than deal with CFHA. I was told upon first calling that someone will only come if they pretty much feel like it. So after a few minutes of being cranky, they said they would make sure the contractor new this was important (That was after saying that the water is coming out of a light fixture and it would cost them more to fix a burnt down house than a leaky one). Then they send perhaps the most useless plumber on the planet who turns the water off in the house as a solution. I even called the rear party and found out they are just as frustrated with CFHA and there isnt much they can do but lodge a complaint and since its the government, that can't be done until monday. So lesson learned, I will never live in a Q. I much prefer renting my house in the ghetto to dealing with CFHA. >:D

If anyone in Edmonton EVER has problems with CFHA, please contact me.  My dh and I are on the community council here and we work closely with CFHA.  If you feel you're not getting anywhere, contact me and I will make sure it gets done!  We've helped a lot of residents when they have issues with CFHA.

mckie0514 said:
If anyone in Edmonton EVER has problems with CFHA, please contact me.  My dh and I are on the community council here and we work closely with CFHA.  If you feel you're not getting anywhere, contact me and I will make sure it gets done!  We've helped a lot of residents when they have issues with CFHA.

I was really appalled to see the problems with CFHA at booked spices location. I take it that that is Edmonton from the fact that Camo chick was in on the thread too and her locale is Edm I believe.
the MFRC here in Halifax will deal with stuff like this as we use them as our rear party...we work differently due to the fact there is no Regimental affiliations...once ships sail they are gone.
I think it is a good idea to get your community council involved and have you considered getting a hold of a Chaplain?
The Duty Chaplain may be able to get things moving for you after hours but also your Rear Party Chaplain should be able to liaise with CFHA and get some answers too.
I just finished 4 years in Q's at Gagetown (01-05) and must say didn't have a lot of heartache with them...I must say though I'm enjoying my own place again....and my spouse is "way happy" too. ;D

I'm looking for PMQ rent rates around Edmonton and across country, so that I can make a budget.  There are some prices on this thread from 2 years ago, but we are in a new economy now, especially in Alberta.
Any input would be appreciated.

http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/info/aboutcfha_e.asp  Look around, there should be some information on that webpage

HEy guys I wsa wondering when I get transferred to my unit is it possible for my girlfriend to come and live with me? Thanks for all responses in advance  :salute:

:cheers:

armyrules said:
HEy guys I wsa wondering when I get transferred to my unit is it possible for my girlfriend to come and live with me? Thanks for all responses in advance  :salute:

:cheers:

Where are you going? and are you just coming out of your MOC course? Are you common law or is it just your girlfriend? If she's just your girlfriend then you have to apply to get an apartment or PMQ which depending where you are it could take Little bit, but once you do get accepted for a place then yes your girlfriend can come live with you

armyrules said:
i'm applying for cmbt engr. So wherever the unit is . How long is the wait? thanks

1)Is she your GirlFriend or Common law spouse?

If she is your Grilfriend that it will take longer to get a PMQ and you will have to pay to move her to where ever you are located

2)How long is the wait?

Depends on the base and the number of Q's they have open

Now if you are just applying you mite be getting ahead of yourself, First you need to go to BMQ and then you trade course. If you trade course is longer then 6 mounths you may be able to apply to move out into the Q's while on course, this is only if she is your spouse or common law spouse. If you course is not over 6 mounths then you must wait to finish and get posted once posted you may apply for a Q

If you can get common law status before entering the military or even tie the knot this will save you money and hassel

cheers

Thankfully I’ve never had to deal with the CFHA nightmares as described in this thread, as it has been many years since I’ve lived in a PMQ.  But, I can recall less than adequate service from Base Housing and the CE section.  However, I was wondering if anyone had recent experience with Self-Help Housing (SHH) in Ottawa. http://www.pspottawa.forces.gc.ca/shh/intro_e.asp

My experience goes back many, many years, when my (then) spouse and I were both posted to Ottawa as Jr Ranks.  We were lucky enough to move into SHH directly from Calgary.  Ottawa was at that time a hot real estate market…way more than Calgary.  Rents for PMQs were significantly less than on the economy and there was a long waiting list.  While in Ottawa on HHT, we were informed about SHH and applied.  Oh lucky man!  We found it to be a great deal.  In comparison to some of our friends who lived in Qs, our rent was much less than what they paid and included all utilities plus cable.  Undoubtedly, some things have changed over the years.

SHH was a CFB Ottawa NPF activity.  It was administered separately from Base Housing as a means of providing affordable housing to the many Jr Ranks posted to the expensive Ottawa region.  It was row housing (several hundred units) on the Uplands base that was available only to married MCpl and below. Its own employees, not CE, performed maintenance. 

While SHH was not luxury, it was, IMHO, much better than the PMQs in which some of my friends were living.  I wondered why similar operations had not been started at other bases.  Would not a housing organization run by soldiers for soldiers (with hired professional management) as a non-profit co-op be of substantially greater benefit and more accountable to its tenants than housing administered by a government agency whose primary concern (or so it seems) is that tenants do not pay less per sq ft than in the local housing market?

The SHH is a great idea, especially in markets where the housing is  way out of the range of anyone ( like Toronto or Victoria).  I know guys posted to Victoria that are living at the absolute limit of the call in range, and have an hour commute to work every day, just becuase that was the only place they could afford.  I think the main problem with Qs is that they are govt run, so there are all kinds of rules that apply.  I know when they jacked up the rent in Victoria to get them in line with the local market, they got really expensive real quick.  The only good thing is that thanks to the nice weather, the heating costs are reasonable, because they really aren't worth what they are charging for them.

Kind of sad that we need to use NPF to get a program going so that members aren't worried about where their families are living when there are so many more important things on the go. 

Hello everybody.

Once again another city since I first started this post.

Can anyone tell me about CFHA in Halifax?  All the dirt, rumours, secrets, or hints will be great, so I can be prepared further when I need to deal with them.

Lets keep talking about the costs, conditions, and short-comings of our PMQs (or CFHA), and maybe someone will hear us (lol).

Thanks for all the responses.

:cdn:

We had a 3 bedroom single house in Edmonton.  about $650.  WE had a row house in Greisbach, about $500.  A 4 bedroom attached house is about $800.00 If you can you are better off buying but don't buy in Edmonton. Buy north of the city in Legal, BonAccord, Gibbons... You can get a 3 bedroom less then 5 years old house for $150 to $170k. IF you stay in Edmonton you are looking at about 200k.

Armywife_chimo said:
IF you stay in Edmonton you are looking at about 200k.

Only 200k...........wow, i wish !!

around here, arm yourself with about 300k

Buy north of the city in Legal, BonAccord, Gibbons... You can get a 3 bedroom less then 5 years old house for $150 to $170k. IF you stay in Edmonton you are looking at about 200k.

Maybe a few years ago.  Not much in that range, if you can even find it):

In Gibbons (7 houses on the market, 1 lower than 200,000):

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.aspx?Mode=0&Page=1&vs=1&rlt=&cp=&pt=0&mp=0-0-0&mrt=-1-0-0&Beds=0-0&Baths=0-0&f=&ft=all&o=A&of=1&ps=10&ptgid=1&aid=5805&MapURL=%3fAreaID%3d6472

In Bon Accord (1 house on the market (less than 200,000)):

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyID=5041426&Mode=0&Page=1&vs=1&rlt=&cp=&pt=0&mp=0-0-0&mrt=-1-0-0&Beds=0-0&Baths=0-0&f=&ft=all&o=A&of=1&ps=10&ptgid=1&aid=5801&MapURL=%3fAreaID%3d6472

In Legal (only 1 house on the market (over 300,000)):

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyID=4835055&Mode=0&Page=1&vs=1&rlt=&cp=&pt=0&mp=0-0-0&mrt=-1-0-0&Beds=0-0&Baths=0-0&f=&ft=all&o=A&of=1&ps=10&ptgid=1&aid=5807&MapURL=%3fAreaID%3d6472

In Morinville (a shack at 150,000):

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.aspx?Mode=0&Page=1&vs=1&rlt=&cp=&pt=0&mp=0-0-0&mrt=-1-0-0&Beds=0-0&Baths=0-0&f=&ft=all&o=A&of=1&ps=10&ptgid=1&aid=5809&MapURL=%3fAreaID%3d6472

In St Albert, don't even consider looking (even if one was aval) at a house below 300,000:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.aspx?Mode=0&Page=1&vs=1&rlt=&cp=&pt=0&mp=0-0-0&mrt=-1-0-0&Beds=0-0&Baths=0-0&f=&ft=all&o=A&of=1&ps=10&ptgid=1&aid=5809&MapURL=%3fAreaID%3d6472

Northwest Edmonton (you don't even enter the detached home market until you are over 200,000):

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.aspx?Mode=0&Page=1&vs=1&rlt=&cp=&pt=0&mp=0-0-0&mrt=-1-0-0&Beds=0-0&Baths=0-0&f=&ft=all&o=A&of=1&ps=10&ptgid=1&aid=6630&MapURL=%3fAreaID%3d6395

Same with Northeast Edmonton:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.aspx?Mode=0&Page=1&vs=1&rlt=&cp=&pt=0&mp=0-0-0&mrt=-1-0-0&Beds=0-0&Baths=0-0&f=&ft=all&o=A&of=1&ps=10&ptgid=1&aid=6621&MapURL=%3fAreaID%3d6394

Edmonton is a tough market to buy into but I still recommend it over renting, particularly if you are posted into the area for a number of years.

Good luck.

I agree, housing prices in Edmonton right now are Nucking Futts!
Makes me glad to be a renter...

Back