• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-148 Cyclone Progress

The frigates were (more or less) designed with the EH101 in mind….
Is there any difference in size between the hanger on the Type 26 and the River-Class? The Type 26 will embark the Merlin so presumably it would fit on the Rivers unless we reduced the hanger size from the original plan.

So depressing that 20 yrs later and we are talking about a replacement for the Cyclone. Add another 10 for the delay between the EH101 cancellatiom
Probably could work out a face saving method. Reassign the CH-148 to CANSOF (while actually replacing those Cyclones with -92A+ models,) and get 50 for MH-60R for MH roles.

CANSOF gets a boost for platforms
MH gets a supportable helo

Not true.

We own the Cyclones.

We don’t own the parts until they are issued by L3. That is supposed to be a feature, not a bug…
Extended warranty? We do something similar in my business. We pay a fixed fee per month per machine to maintain a stock of spares. Saves us having to spend millions on spares. Penalties apply if a spare is not available when needed. Works pretty well, and dramatically simplifies stocktaking.

Extended warranty? We do something similar in my business. We pay a fixed fee per month per machine to maintain a stock of spares. Saves us having to spend millions on spares. Penalties apply if a spare is not available when needed. Works pretty well, and dramatically simplifies stocktaking.
Warranty period is long gone.

Every good experiment demands a good antithesis to validate the hypothesis.

Cyclone as antithesis of the S92 fly by wire development programme.

Every good experiment demands a good antithesis to validate the hypothesis.

Cyclone as antithesis of the S92 fly by wire development programme.
The whole program is a boondoggle from Day 1. 1983 the RCAF started looking for SeaKing replacements - the S-92 wasn't off the drawing board until 1992.
I'd argue that 50-60 CH-148 where required not 26-28, as 35 were identified to be needed for the ASW role, and a min of 15 for SAR for the Labrador replacement.

I honestly don't know if 60 airframes would have chanced the dynamic on the Cyclone tale of woe - Maritimizing a Helicopter isn't the easiest job, and making a bespoke CMS isn't practical for a small fleet -- when the EH-101 was off the table due to JC, I think that a 100 airframe MH-60 buy would have been the best option - with 60 SeaHawks, and 40 for SAR.

Warranty period is long gone.
"Extended" warranty. Very common in my industry. You basically negotiate a fixed monthly (or yearly) price for the extension of all (or portions) of the original warranty terms. Ours is for parts only, as we contract with a third party for the PM and CM. Not sure it would work in a military environment, but all terms can be negotiated. In our case, we have a requirement for critical parts delivery within 2 hours of the initial demand. To satisfy this, the OEMs established stocking locations near to (or in some cases inside) our facilities. They maintain the stock, and working with us regularly review historical usage and adjust the MAX/MIN levels. I would argue it's actually a good model for an orphan fleet, as it incentivizes the OEM to make the investments needed to maintain adequate spares for the duration of the Extended Warranty period. Not even sure it's more expensive, as we were able to get out of the parts inventory/warehousing game, which has saved us millions. Don't know if this would work in DND, however, but, if we wanted to get the most out of this platform, securing another 20 years of parts would be a good first step.

"Extended" warranty. Very common in my industry. You basically negotiate a fixed monthly (or yearly) price for the extension of all (or portions) of the original warranty terms. Ours is for parts only, as we contract with a third party for the PM and CM. Not sure it would work in a military environment, but all terms can be negotiated. In our case, we have a requirement for critical parts delivery within 2 hours of the initial demand. To satisfy this, the OEMs established stocking locations near to (or in some cases inside) our facilities. They maintain the stock, and working with us regularly review historical usage and adjust the MAX/MIN levels. I would argue it's actually a good model for an orphan fleet, as it incentivizes the OEM to make the investments needed to maintain adequate spares for the duration of the Extended Warranty period. Not even sure it's more expensive, as we were able to get out of the parts inventory/warehousing game, which has saved us millions. Don't know if this would work in DND, however, but, if we wanted to get the most out of this platform, securing another 20 years of parts would be a good first step.
Those are all good ideas.

So depressing that 20 yrs later and we are talking about a replacement for the Cyclone. Add another 10 for the delay between the EH101 cancellatiom
I think the takeaway is that the CAF has convinced ourselves that we get 50+ years out of an aviation asset. 20 years is about the timeframe where most of our allies looks at replacing their aircraft anyway.

But, when the Cyclone goes, can we have a patch saying “Cyclone now downgraded to Maritime Depression”? :sneaky:

Back