• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH47 Chinook

SeaKingTacco said:
It will be interesting to see if they opt for the Canadian modifications. If they do, IIRC, we get paid.

There's a few different Can Mods to the F, so any one of those and we do get paid for IP or sumsuch...  Does that count against the overall cost of the project???  Doubtful anyone would calculate it in.  Too much work.

Direct offset against in-service contract costs.  It is calculated.  Modification to USSOCOM's eight new MH-47Gs based on CH-147F configuration (particularly the new electrical system) are also calculated and offset.

Saw a -47 overhead for the first time today... flying west over Ste-Therese/Boisbriand (north of Montreal). Pretty surprised, as I rarely seen much of anything from the Canadian Forces around here.

Would I be correct in guessing it had something to do with the refugee situation, etc?

Likely but not, training hours on new helicopters means they'll go lots of places you won't see them.

RaceAddict said:
Saw a -47 overhead for the first time today... flying west over Ste-Therese/Boisbriand (north of Montreal). Pretty surprised, as I rarely seen much of anything from the Canadian Forces around here.

Would I be correct in guessing it had something to do with the refugee situation, etc?

Probably coming back from doing testing in Greenwood if my memory serves.

Strike said:
Probably coming back from doing testing in Greenwood if my memory serves.

526 nm (give or take) in a straight line, and that line goes just a few miles north of my house... so yeah, probably that.

Cheers.

Can't see why you'd fly 50 Km North of Montreal to come back from Greenwood. Greenwood would entail going South of Montreal.

On the other hand, anything in straight lines between Quebec City to Ottawa, Quebec City to Trenton, Bagotville to Ottawa or Bagotville to Trenton would go overhead of Ste-Therese area.

Such flights, even though out of the ordinary, would not be unexpected and could have multiple justifications behind them.

Greenwood, direct Petawawa, although there would be some adjustments along the way to avoid some sensitive areas, swings just North of Mirabel. 

Good2Golf said:
Greenwood, direct Petawawa, although there would be some adjustments along the way to avoid some sensitive areas, swings just North of Mirabel.

Looks that way according to this too: SkyVector

RaceAddict said:

Probably heading back to base after a party last night the old kite went U/S  ;D

It's new, not old, and it was indeed returning from icing trials in Greenwood.

Loachman said:
It's new, not old, and it was indeed returning from icing trials in Greenwood.

I did not know Chinook pilots liked to participate in cake making contests.  [:D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I did not know Chinook pilots liked to participate in cake making contests.  [:D

It's my favourite TV cooking show...."Chopp(er)ed"!

Oldgateboatdriver said:

It isn't the pilots, the Chinook is an eating machine.

Auditions for "Cake Boss - Annappolis Valley Edition" :nod:

Good2Golf said:
Auditions for "Cake Boss - Annappolis Valley Edition" :nod:

Yes, there are some in the Annapolis Valley that could eat cake like a Boss.  >:D

So what does someone have to do to get a ride in a CH-47F?

I've been making parts for them since 2010, so every air-frame flying in Canada (at the very least) has a few bits on it that have crossed my desk. :D

Not wanting to violate any OPSEC issues at all, but I'm wondering how the use and integration of the Chinooks is coming. Is 450 Sqn still doing acceptance and training or are the Chinooks being used by the brigades? Are they being used for troop movement or logistics? I'm just thinking back to the days when we had seven flying and have wondered how we would keep 15 gainfully employed. I'm sure they are an excellent resource to have, just an old soldier being curious and wondering what we are doing with them. Thanks if anyone can help.

OldTanker said:
Not wanting to violate any OPSEC issues at all, but I'm wondering how the use and integration of the Chinooks is coming. Is 450 Sqn still doing acceptance and training or are the Chinooks being used by the brigades? Are they being used for troop movement or logistics? I'm just thinking back to the days when we had seven flying and have wondered how we would keep 15 gainfully employed. I'm sure they are an excellent resource to have, just an old soldier being curious and wondering what we are doing with them. Thanks if anyone can help.
Click here for an article about the Chinooks working with the guns

450 Squadron's priority remains its own aircrew and groundcrew training. Until that progresses a bit more, there will be neither enough people to fly nor maintain more than a few machines at a time. Meanwhile, opportunities are planned to maximize the support that we can provide to as many people as possible.

Back