• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH47 Chinook

Good2Golf said:
CH147C2...sure, I'm good with that!  ;)

LM, we do have CH124A's and CH124B's however...

Don't forget the temporary CH124U (a stripped out B) and the CH124W (Waterbird config).

And if you thought that wasn't confusing enough, I think they're now differentiated by CH124B-1 and CH124B-2, either force generation config or SCF config. I can't recall all the specifics, but come summer time and waterbird season, there could be up to 4 different configs for Sea Kings. At least the cockpits are pretty much the same.   ;D

*edit*
Almost forgot, our new H-92's are going to be CH148's, not CH192's. People will figure it out.

Uh, 44!

How would you like it if I called you 50 when you were only 44? The Sea Kings are crying because of your remark, sleep well tonight you big jerk!  ;D

Some bad news at the link, hope it doesn't impact DND too much....

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/02/AFcsarx070226/

Rescue Randy said:

Since we are not buying the HH-47 it should have no impact on us.

I would presume tnat the US101 is a close cousin to the EH101
Sikorski S92 - Check
HH47...............

Somehow.... this sounds like a familiar story.... just on a larger scale.

Rescue Randy said:

This is in reference to GAO upturning the selection of the HH47 for CSAR.

It actially works in our favour. At the rate they were going to get the contract finally signed, we would have been at the tail end of a big USAF order. Maybe we can work it so we get in ahead of USAF now.

All of our CH147's where C models except 009 which was actually a D model  modified back to C model so that it would match the rest of the fleet. 009 replaced the first Chinook which we lost in the US when it crashed after takeoff. A bad omen from the start.

Has the number of F models been cut down? According to this article, there will only be 6 D models and 6 F models acquired:  http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/mapleleaf/article_e.asp?id=4610

Under the plan, Canada will:

Lease six commercial helicopters for one year to address immediate needs in Afghanistan;
Purchase six used Chinook D model helicopters to address immediate requirements—already in-theatre—from the US government for use starting in February 2009;
Purchase six F-model Chinooks to address long- term requirements (expected to be delivered by late 2011/2012)
Procure a small Scan Eagle UAV for use over the next nine months; and
Lease a larger Heron UAV tactical system that will be delivered by early 2009.

I think there is a mistake in the article.

Just 2cents. Think it is great that the Service is getting the Chinook back.  Had a couple of rides in it when in 2VP. My Dad actually flew the first one back from the the States when He was in 450 SQD.  (Not the one that crashed obviously...that was a shitty day..the second one).  He always said what a great helicopter it is.

Beenthere, small world eh?  He is retired out in Comox.  Enjoying all that Island living.

Hello Kevin. Good to see you are still kickin.

I'm glad to see the Chinook back. Great chopper.

Boeing Awarded US Army Contract for 191 CH-47F Chinook Helicopters

ST. LOUIS, Aug. 26, 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been awarded a five-year U.S. Army contract valued at $4.3 billion for 181 CH-47F Chinooks and 10 additional Chinooks under Fiscal Year 2008 supplemental funding. There are options in the award for an additional 24 aircraft over the course of the contract.

"This multiyear award will yield a cost savings of more than $449 million for the U.S. Army and taxpayers," said Jack Dougherty, vice president, Boeing H-47 Programs. "This also builds security into our production schedule for the next five years, stabilizing the work force for Boeing and for our supplier partners in more than 45 states."

"The Army is committed to providing an outstanding CH-47F Chinook aircraft to our soldiers in the field," said Col. Newman Shufflebarger, Army project manager for Cargo Helicopters. "This multiyear award not only allows the Army to field this important aircraft at a substantial savings, but enabled the contractor to enter long-term agreements for specialty metals, to include titanium, which significantly reduced long-lead times for these critical materials. The Army was able to reduce the lead time associated with a new-build aircraft by six months."

Also from the U.S. Army, Lt. Col. Thomas H. Todd III, product manager for CH-47F, said, "This multiyear settlement is the result of the tireless efforts of government and Boeing representatives. It ensures that our soldiers will maintain a technological advantage over our adversaries when it comes to heavy-lift missions."

"A long-term contract commitment is good for the warfighter, the Army customer and U.S. business," said Ken Eland, chief engineer for Boeing Tandem Rotor Programs and capture team leader for the company's CH-47F multiyear pursuit. "This award enables Boeing and our Team Chinook partners to make capital investments to reduce lead times for parts and components, improve parts availability and provide for a more accurate delivery schedule, which will enable greater precision in fielding the Chinook to U.S. Army units."

Boeing Rotorcraft Systems has delivered 48 CH-47F helicopters to the U.S. Army to date and has fully trained and equipped two units, with a third unit scheduled to stand up in August. Since the aircraft received its combat-ready certification from the Army in 2007, the F-model has completed several thousand flight hours, including deployments to Liberia in support of U.S. President George Bush, and is currently undergoing its first deployment to Iraq.

As with its predecessors, the CH-47F continues to excel across the full spectrum of operational missions, including air assault, combat re-supply, humanitarian relief, search and rescue, and transport operations.

Built at the Boeing Rotorcraft Systems facility in Ridley Township, Pa., the CH-47F helicopter delivers greater mission-critical capability for the warfighter with a newly designed, improved airframe, a Rockwell Collins Common Avionics Architecture System (CAAS) cockpit, and a BAE-designed Digital Advanced Flight Control System (DAFCS).

The CAAS greatly improves aircrew situational awareness, and DAFCS provides dramatically improved flight-control capabilities through the entire flight envelope, significantly improved performance and safety in the harshest of environments.

CAAS also incorporates an advanced digital map display and a data transfer system that allows storing of preflight and mission data. Improved survivability features include the Common Missile Warning and Improved Countermeasure Dispenser systems.

Powered by two 4,733-horsepower Honeywell engines, the new CH-47F can reach speeds greater than 175 mph and transport more than 21,000 pounds. The CH-47F, with the Robertson Aviation Extended Range Fuel System, has a mission radius of more than 400 nautical miles.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...80826a_nr.html

The Canadian Air Force has confirmed that the first of six Chinook helicopters to be purchased from the United States are is now at the Kandahar Airfield base.

Can't even get good english from CBC.... cheez!

I believe the Chinook we got was delivered from.... some other place in Afghanistan

"The push to get battlefield helicopters into Kandahar was mired in defence bureaucracy for almost two years. An internal debate pitted the army, eager to reduce soldiers' exposure to deadly roadside bombs, against a frustrated air force that sought a versatile aircraft, useful in more places than just Afghanistan."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these choppers are very useful in places other than Afghanistan. They are just a little more useful there right now, than say, sitting on a tarmac looking pretty, or doing fly-fishing trips to the middle of nowhere. Just saying. (Sarcasm very much intended, sorry to any pilot that thought I was knocking them too!)

Chapeski said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these choppers are very useful in places other than Afghanistan. They are just a little more useful there right now, than say, sitting on a tarmac looking pretty, or doing fly-fishing trips to the middle of nowhere. Just saying. (Sarcasm very much intended, sorry to any pilot that thought I was knocking them too!)

Ummm... where did the fly fishing thing come from Cheapeski

geo said:
Ummm... where did the fly fishing thing come from Cheapeski
The Duke and Duchess of York's Canoe trip in 1987 was supported by 447 (T) Sqn.

WrenchBender

Back