• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chest Rig preference

What type of chest rig/carrier/vest do you prefer?

• Current Canadian issue Tacvest

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Plate Carrier/chest rig

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • Webbing style (ie. TT Mav/82 pattern webbing)

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • We should be issued both types

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Something that attaches right to our body armor

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Different option (see below)

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
Interesting comments on the SORD kit.  The Army having found the current Tac Vest lacking for years now I was hoping a replacement would have come in to service by now.  Perhaps when they change the cadpat colours they will have the next webbing/tac vest combo ready to issue.

They 0 funded the Modular Fighting Rig project years ago. I don't think that funding ever came back.

Because I told you so that's why ;)
I'm curious the reasoning, I switched mine and it made my armor feel a hell of a lot more comfortable and my chest rig fit better and was more balanced when dismounted. I wonder why SOFCOM would specifically allow it but not others.
The 'cannon fodder' don't need all that fancy stuff, right? ;)

Mind, I'm retired now, so the only rules I need are mine. I have two plate carrier rigs. NIJ Lvl IV, one set steel the other ceramic. Both have Lvl III cummerbunds. Both are more comfortable and easier to move around in than the flack vest/plate/tacvest rig I used to wear. Both are covered with molle attachment ribbons so I can mount mag carriers and bags equal or more than the amount I had on my tacvest. Just my $00.02 worth of personal UFI.

The tac vest (as far as I understand, anyway) was designed when we were pretty much just engaged in UN peacekeeping operations, mostly in Eastern Europe. Enough capacity to carry some rifle mags & grenades, but obviously not designed for warfighting.

Then 2001 happened, and we were caught unprepared for Afghanistan as our focus for the past few decades had been low to medium intensity conflict throughout Eastern Europe. (Croatia, Bosnia, etc etc.)

During the Afghan war years, I know some units allowed their members to purchase their own rigs - and the unit would reimburse them. Same with boots. (I can't see that happening these days, the Afghan war days were a different work culture)

Whatever we go with, it needs to be modular. A member primarily using a C7 has entirely different requirements than a C9 gunner, C6 gunner, 203 rock lobber, etc etc 0.002

The tac vest (as far as I understand, anyway) was designed when we were pretty much just engaged in UN peacekeeping operations, mostly in Eastern Europe. Enough capacity to carry some rifle mags & grenades, but obviously not designed for warfighting.

Then 2001 happened, and we were caught unprepared for Afghanistan as our focus for the past few decades had been low to medium intensity conflict throughout Eastern Europe. (Croatia, Bosnia, etc etc.)

During the Afghan war years, I know some units allowed their members to purchase their own rigs - and the unit would reimburse them. Same with boots. (I can't see that happening these days, the Afghan war days were a different work culture)

Whatever we go with, it needs to be modular. A member primarily using a C7 has entirely different requirements than a C9 gunner, C6 gunner, 203 rock lobber, etc etc 0.002
With the new J pattern CADPAT is a new tacvest apparently in the works. That said most of the infantry battalions don't use the issued vest. A Vtech I know got posted to 2VP, he arrived with the issued vest, they said nope, took him out back to a seacan and told him to pick a rig, and the pouches he thought he needed. He took 2 x triple mag pouches, a first aid pouch, and a utility pouch. Really that is all you need in CSS, our tacvest as you stated was designed for a different style of fighting not a high intensity we need 14 mags minimum for a rifleman fighting we saw in Afghanistan. Unfortunately our system has been slow to catch up, atleast we can buy our own boots now.

Back