• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

Meh.

At some point, nations will stop fawning and apologizing to China for its repressive, dictatorial regime.

Nations might. Some of their leaders might not...

Justin Trudeau, then running for the leadership of his party in 2013, was given a lob-ball question from a supporter at a “Ladies Night” meet-and-greet in Toronto: “Which nation, besides Canada, which nation’s administration do you most admire, and why?”

The future prime minister’s odd answer: “You know, there’s a level of admiration I actually have for China ….”

China? Why China?

“Because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime and say ‘we need to go green fastest…we need to start investing in solar.'”

Meh.

At some point, nations will stop fawning and apologizing to China for its repressive, dictatorial regime.

I agree, but it's going to take some real leadership and a commitment to BOTH doing the right things AND to doing things right. I'm not sure that the US Gov't, as currently constituted and led, is well equipped to do that. I thought that the last US administration was, to be charitable, gawd awful, but I'm afraid that this one is little better.

The divisions in America ~ social, political and cultural ~ are deep and getting deeper and that makes it difficult for a fundamentally decent man with a solid foreign policy record, and Joe Biden scores well on both counts, to make the right choices and to execute policies well.

The rest of the world ~ Australia being, perhaps, a notable exception because it lives in a rough neighbourhood far, far away from the policeman ~ isn't prepared to lead, either. Japan? Germany? France? Britain? India? South Korea? Would anyone follow any of them?

The West needs America but, first, America needs to heal itself.

< rant ends >

Russian Rail have transported 1 000 000 transit containers from China to Europe since the start of Y2021

Looking for resources, submarine routes or preparing to push their boundary claims

Leaked documents suggest Huawei has been using its tech to help the Chinese government since 2016 to identify people using its surveillance systems.

Gee sounds like a lovely group we want to have access to our industry.
And I think we would all mostly agree, if they were allowed to build/manage our 5G networks, they would be identifying people and collecting metadata over here as well.

Post something online about China, while at a coffee shop or even in a text? May come back to haunt you one day…

“The repeated cases of the most senior level of Taiwan armed forces officers being convicted of espionage has got to have a psychological effect on the officer corps and in the ranks.” - Retired U.S. Marine Corps Colonel Grant Newsham

I think we all knew that Chinese operatives would be well-embedded in Taiwan’s armed forces for quite some time now.

But for her own protection detail to have snakes in the grass?

China truly is a type of adversary we haven’t seen the likes of before.

I would guess that the same is true in reverse: I suspect that there are some admirals and generals and senior officials in the Chinese military and security apparatus who are on Taiwan's payroll. The difference might be that we don't hear about it when they are caught or someone is running a very good double-cross game.

I think we all knew that Chinese operatives would be well-embedded in Taiwan’s armed forces for quite some time now.

But for her own protection detail to have snakes in the grass?
Ask Indira Ghandi how that worked out for her… 🤔

Here's an interesting article coming from a German V-Admiral today, discussing Bayern's deployment to a 6 month tour of SE Asia.

Possibly signaling a shift in policy by the new German Chancellor?

Germany’s head of navy calls China’s naval power buildup ‘explosive’ and a cause of worry​

"Vice Adm. Kay-Achim Schonbach said China is increasing the size of its navy by the equivalent of the entire French navy every four years"

Careful, folks ...
An Australian defence review has found there are no national security grounds to overturn the 99-year lease of the Port of Darwin to a Chinese company, following calls to abandon the deal.

The recommendation from the review makes it more difficult for Canberra to revoke the deal with Landbridge Group, which was confirmed as the subject of an inquiry in May amid growing concerns about Beijing’s impact on Australia’s national security ...

No national security grounds, in allowing a Chinese company to own and operate a major port?

In a country that has to import nearly everything it needs… pretty sure the country that is constantly making open threats, undertaking adversarial political moves, overtly undermining their democracy, etc - should not be owning or in charge of a major port.

Back