• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chronic Sea Sickness

BernDawg said:
Odds are that the guy left hanging around washing dishes etc. was not qualified in trade so they couldn't be re-mustered.
Why would you assume such a foolish cause?  Personnel are regularly occupationally transferred before being qualified in the enrolled occupation.  It happens all the time when PATs become medically unfit occupation but meet universality of service, when trainees fail out of an occupation's training, and even voluntarily when a PAT indicates they have no desire to proceed in their current occupation.

make sure you understand the difference between windward and leeward and vomit accordingly.
Ha ha, please provide a video demonstration of this. :D

medicineman said:
Sea sickness is a really weird continuum - some people just get tired for a couple of days, others are gacking their guts out and everything in between.  Each to their own...literally.  I think I've just been lucky, since my sailing time is limited to a day and a half driving to Rocky Point and back on OTT, a couple of day sails on REG, and the dive boats...looking forward to a tender trip, since they're a tad top heavy and shallow draft  ;D.  Ferry trips to/from the mainland don't count around here as far as I'm concerned.  A buddy of mine's frist trip on his frigate was straight out of harbour into a Sea State 6+ gale - apparently almost a third of the crew were just done in, including him.

You're absolutely right about it being something very individual.  I never had a problem with seasickness (or a beer at sea!) through steamers (lots of pitch, not so much roll), 280s (lots of roll due to the wind and them being top heavy, not so much pitch) and tankers (bomb on 'til morning at 20 knots, flat as a board).  That is until I encountered a tanker at 30% fuel load.  Some sort of funky corkscrew motion with a little wiggle thrown in for good measure.  I never actually hurled, but I didn't enjoy my beer!  ;D

Pusser had some very good advice up there.

I've sailed on Steamers, 280's, and CPF's, and the only time I've gotten anything more than tired, was my own fault. 

Slight lactose intolerance + Milk + Raisin Bran = unhappy tummy

I've learned from that, and avoid milk at sea entirely now.

I actually enjoy rougher weather, it means people focus on the tasks that are important. 

I did actually suggest when MON was heading out storm-chasing for the MHP trials a couple years back that we buy a couple boxes of black gash bags just so we wouldn't have to "share the view" with everyone else....the buffer listened, but the supply department failed to get them in, so I bought a box myself to hand out. 

I'm that kind of a guy....  :)

NS

I generally don't get sick , however at times I do get extremely tired from the motion. The Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels that I primarily sailed on during my career are the worst platforms for stability in heavy seas and they roll a lot. We have had regular force that sailed with us that never got sick on CPF's throughout their careers get sick on the our ships, its a very different roll.

Here's a few pics from our trip to Europe a few years ago. The highest waves we hit was 16 meters and the most we rolled was about 38 degrees. We did well but there was some white knuckle times to be sure. Lots of clear garbage bags too ;D

DSCF0432.jpg

4E6A0310-1.jpg

4E6A0330.jpg

4E6A0425.jpg

Chief Stoker said:
Here's a few pics from our trip to Europe a few years ago.

(Images)

THAT IS THE F-ING SCARIEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!

And that's why I picked LAND.
(I'd rather sleep on an anthill every night for a year that deal with ONE DAY of THAT.)

See, Read and heed, prospective Seaman!

Holy God....I'm nauseated just from looking @ those pics...

Bear in mind we are significantly smaller than a CPF and no that's not a good thing either.

Chief Stoker said:
Bear in mind we are significantly smaller than a CPF and no that's not a good thing either.

Yeah...but I get spinny on the Ferry from Dartmouth to Halifax....

(please refrain from re-posting in "womanly" or "dumbest thing" threads).... :)

Occam said:
and tankers (bomb on 'til morning at 20 knots, flat as a board).  That is until I encountered a tanker at 30% fuel load.  Some sort of funky corkscrew motion with a little wiggle thrown in for good measure.  I never actually hurled, but I didn't enjoy my beer!  ;D

I beg to differ Occam! In the early/mid 2000s I was a member of Preservers ships company. When the Freddy and the Iroquois were headed to the gulf, you know the trip when the Iroquois lost her bird? That was gale force to hurricane state weather. We were having waves break over the bridge windows on pitches and dipping the gunnels on rolls. We had to flake out hawsers to try and combat the water that came in the dispersal area from washing down into number 6 stores.

We lost every computer in supply and most of our bolted down filing cabinets broke away, one taking out a storesman who had her ankle broken. The fridges and freezer were in shambles but the store rooms hung on all right. This all happened with a proper secure for sea done as well.

On a side note when the storesman broke her ankle, a hull tech tore his ACL/MC while coming up the ladder from 21 port and starboard mess, trying to respond to the casualty alarm, by being thrown off the ladder by a violent roll.

Funny enough it was so rough and violent that it had the opposite effect on me and I felt no feelings of sea sickness.

I'll quote you on that Stacked...while eating pizza in your face as you're gacking everywhere  ;D.

MM

Chief Stoker said:

Coming back from Hawaii in Feb 07 on a CPF we kissed 50 degrees on more than one occasion; 40 was routine.  That bridge shot looks about the same.  The year before on the same transit, the same ship allegedly hit 60*, although I don't think the roll gauge thingy goes that high (I wasn't on board).  It sure as hell didn't help that we were dragging a shaft and could only make about 8 knots.

Man I'm glad I'm in the air force now - a few hours at a time of bouncing around, instead of two weeks 24/7.

Stacked said:
Looks like a blast to me, but I guess that's why I picked Sea.  >:D

Sick-arsed-sob...... :)

All a y'all NAVY fellas are........

Do none of ya know the delight of digging in, sleeping in, rolling in, and...loving LAND....J/K

I'd never have the sack for it, good on ya'!  :salute:

MCG said:
Why would you assume such a foolish cause?  Personnel are regularly occupationally transferred before being qualified in the enrolled occupation.  It happens all the time when PATs become medically unfit occupation but meet universality of service, when trainees fail out of an occupation's training, and even voluntarily when a PAT indicates they have no desire to proceed in their current occupation.
Why? Because I've seen it before. Perhaps more than a few years ago but I have seen it.  Pat's weren't re-mustered back in the day either so I may, indeed, be out of touch but I maintain that it's a plausible scenario.

Chief Stoker, those are some pretty cool pics.

I've seen 42.6 degrees...ish.

Good fun.

NS

NavyShooter said:
Chief Stoker, those are some pretty cool pics.

I've seen 42.6 degrees...ish.

Good fun.

NS

When we rolled over to 39 degrees we also suffered a total loss of propulsion due to the thrusters coming out of the water and overspeeding. I happened to be out on the sweepdeck with 6 other pers including the CO trying to resecure some oil barrels and such. When the engineering emergency was piped made it inside going through water up to my waist, fun times. That's the closest brush with going over the side I ever had.

Having sailed in ships ranging from MCDVs to Aircraft Carriers I can say that luckily for me I never got physically sick. There were many times when I felt lousy but I never puked. It can be very tiring when you can't sleep properly and still have to time the ladders going up or down to get to work or your watch.  Mostly enjoyed every minute though.

Hammer Sandwich said:

Do none of ya know the delight of digging in, sleeping in, rolling in, and...loving LAND....J/K

The only trouble with those holes is that the sides are covered in dirt,  EWWW!

Sitting down to dinner at a table everynight with proper cutlery and crockery is damn civilized,  :nod: even if it does occasionally fly across the room at you, along with a table full of food.  Flying cutlery, food and sub-lieutenants make for a good evening's entertainment! ;D

I do, however, question the decision to put "The Perfect Storm" on the big screen when we're getting the crap kicked out of us on one trip.  It was right up there with singing "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" during a Channel Fever party years ago...

Hammer Sandwich said:

My first training Petty Officer made it clear to us that "if god had meant for us to be pongos, we would have been born with shovels instead of hands and lots of pockets." ;)

BTW, my worst roll memory is from PORTE DAUPHINE. When the Fisheries Dept operated her on the great lakes, they refitted the after cabins and for completely unknown (and unnatural) reasons put all the bunks atwartship instead of fore-and-aft. One night we got caught in a big storm off the Queen Charlotte's and had to turn 180 so got beam to for a short while: I remember suddenly waking up wondering why I was standing up in my bunk while I just saw the shadow of my solid oak desk popping the four screws holding it down and literally falling from the now deckhead of my cabin into the cabin door (now acting as deck).

I learned a few hours later that we maxed out on the angle indicator, which tops at 60 degrees on a Gate Vessel. Thank god they were some of the most seaworthy little vessels out there.

Back