• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chronic Sea Sickness

NavalMoose said:
Having sailed in ships ranging from MCDVs to Aircraft Carriers I can say that luckily for me I never got physically sick. There were many times when I felt lousy but I never puked. It can be very tiring when you can't sleep properly and still have to time the ladders going up or down to get to work or your watch.  Mostly enjoyed every minute though.

I only got physically ill on one sail, but it was over the course of almost the entire trip.  Very strange seas that gave the CPF a nasty, 280-like roll.  I couldn't keep anything down and in the end, had to get the gravol shot.  The final straw was when I tore out of the ops room to go to the sea head, which was in use, and then tried to get to the heads outside the cave but didn't make it.  Saltines and water everywhere.  Yes, I cleaned it up.

I hadn't experienced anything like it before, or since, and I've got a few sea miles under my belt - it definitely gave me an appreciation of what a true chronic seasick person feels, and it's absolutely miserable.

And to pay a little more attention to the thread topic, the Esquimalt BPSO site has the procedures for chronic seasick pers, which is basically they will start the reassignment process as soon as a local MO signs off, before the official med cat change comes from Ottawa (which can take a while).  No mention of releasing people.  I can't personally recall seeing someone released for seasickness if he or she didn't want it - sometimes the reassignment choices can be a little unpalatable/unexciting.

Back