• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CIC And PRes

youravatar

Inactive
Reaction score
I did a couple searches but came out empty handed.

Is it possible to be a Cadet CIC and be in the Primary Reserve simultaniously?

If it is... Would you choose whether to do Summer ARC or Get employment at Cadet Camp?

Thanks in advance!

-Tony

CIC is the largest reserve organisation in Canada, if what i've been told is correct.  ;D

A CIC officer is a reserve officer so the answer is no.

You can be a PRes officer and volunteer with a cadet unit.  You can be a CIC officer and be attached/seconded to a PRes unit.  PRes officers can be employed at a Cadet Summer Training Centre.

I know of a 15th field Artillery officer who is in the PRes and is also with a RCAC sqn as an officer. He wears two different uniforms and two different capbadges. Im not sure how it is done, but I know firsthand that he does it.

521 said:
I know of a 15th field Artillery officer who is in the PRes and is also with a RCAC sqn as an officer. He wears two different uniforms and two different capbadges. Im not sure how it is done, but I know firsthand that he does it.

What do you mean by two different uniforms?

Cadet Warrant-Mann said:
CIC is the largest reserve organisation in Canada, if what i've been told is correct.  ;D

You have been mis-informed.  CIC - approx 7500; P Res - approx 32000.

As for the officer who wears two uniforms:  You can be in the Primary REeerve, the Supp Reserve, the CIC, the Rangers, or the Reg F - but not more than one at a time.  As previously stated, some pers do parade with both a P Res unit and a CIC organisation (legally, most cadet corps are not units in the legal sense of the word).  There are restrictions on the employment of CIC officers outside the cadet movement as their training is geared towards youth leadership and management.

You can be a CIC officer and be attached/seconded to a PRes unit.

No, you can't.  CANFORGEN 081/05 VCDS 016 270938Z APR 05 refers.

THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO REITERATE THE POLICY THAT CIC OFFICERS WILL NOT BE USED OUTSIDE THE CCM....

CIC OFFICERS WERE REMINDED THAT IF THEY WISHED TO CONTINUE THEIR SERVICE OUTSIDE THE CCM, THEY SHOULD REQUEST A TRANSFER TO THE PRES....

CIC are member of the reserve,

Therefore a CIC officer cannot be a member of the Primary Reserve. They are formed to manage, organise and work with teens, so they cannot be part of the Preserve...otherwise they would have an other job.

If a CIC want to transfer to Pres, HE has to reffer to the DOAD 5002-3 which gives the procedure to follow....be sure to insist on these procedure...or you will do the entire procedure for nothing.

(I'm trying to transfer to the Pres....and renounce to my commission and to get in as NCM )

Mysterious Mind,

It was a long time ago, and things were likely different, but --

way back in 1982 I was a Lt in the CIL (now CIC), and decided I'd had enough and wanted to get back into the PRes (CommRes).  All they had to do was put me on the Sup List, and then pull me off as a Cpl, which was my old Militia rank.  There didn't seem to be any problem with the commission.  Of course two things are different for you: you don't have previous experience in the PRes, and; that was then, this is now.

Good luck.  BTW I never regretted the move.

Signalman150

thanks, I doubt ill regret it, I'm joining as 935,

The thing is that when I decided to make the move in January I had already joined the Sup Res. and told them it was a sub-res transfer but they argued it was a new processus that I had to do all the procedure from starters as I was considered as a low life with no experience at all..

So I shut my mouth a did all the procedure as they requested...at the recruiting center, I also told them and they ignored it.

On November 6, I went and finally signed my paper, they called me back  on the 8th to tell me they had made a mistake that it was a transfer.

And now...my files is pending, getting dust bunny on it while we have to wait for equivalence to be calculated.....

I a little sad about the fact that I was going to be on December 9 BMQ and now...nothing is certain.

Buts its life...and I have to be patient and wait...until one day...eventually in a certain future.

^-^

"What do you mean by two different uniforms?"

In replying to my earlier post and to the CANFORGEN that was refrenced.

It was in 2002 that I last personally meet with the above mentioned officer, and at that time he was with two different units. As of now I know he still works with the unit, wether he works for both units, or volunteers at the RCAC unit, I dont know. Maybe he only volunteers since that CANFORGEN came out. But he did work for both units.

In regards to the two uniform question. He wore a 15th field uniform at 15th field, and wore an air CIC uniform at the RCAC unit. I knew him peronally having worked with him at staff. Wether or not he was truly authorized to do both, I cant answer that, but he was authorized by both of his CO's as far as I know.

Im not sure I follow the 2 uniforms thing.

Altought I think I understand wath you mean.

Either he is volunteer to work with a cadet corp, where he would have to need the permission of his Pres unit or, he his advisor and he is being paid by his Pres unit to be with the CAdet corps.

As for the job during summer, he cannot apply on Cadet summer training camp. he is not  a CIC. he will have take a job from the Pres.

Members of the P Res can serve at CSTCs.  They need only apply for the positions advertised at CSTCs.  Even Reg Officers from RMC have served at CSTCs, some because they did not require trg during the summer, ie second language trg, or various other reasons. 

Tehy can serve only in reseve open position not as platoon commander or company commander or etc...

Teddy Ruxpin said:
No, you can't.  CANFORGEN 081/05 VCDS 016 270938Z APR 05 refers.

Please read here:  DOAD 5023 and DOAD 5023.1 effective May 2006
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/DAOD/5023/0_e.asp
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/DAOD/5023/1_e.asp

and QR&O Chapter 10
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qr_o/vol1/ch010_e.asp

This arguement went way down hill last time........................I don't want to go that way. 

I think that the crux of the matter is that you can only hold one commission scroll at a time.  You cannot wear two different uniforms - depending on what you have to do and how busy you happen to be on a given day.

As long as there is an agreement between both "employers", a reservist can be on class B at one place and continue to train with his parent unit.... but he always wears the same ranks and unit / formation badges.....

Same rule would apply to someone in the Reserves wanting to help out with the CIC.

GEo has given a good rresume :)

One thing ... A Officer scroll wther you are CIC, reserve or Regs is the same.

a scroll is a scroll...... BUT
A CIC Officer would founder greatly if placed in direct command of Reg or Res formation for any length of time.......  the training just isn't there.

I do not even contest this :)

I know that a very large vast majority of CIC would not be able to do it. And probably that a Res officer would probably have a hard time commanding a Cadet corp unit. as the training is not the same  ;)

mysteriousmind said:
One thing ... A Officer scroll wther you are CIC, reserve or Regs is the same.

{off topic tangent}

Yes.  Except that Naval officers scrolls differ from Army or Air Force officers, and Padres have their own text as well (with a Naval variant as well).

{back on topic}

(edited because my fingers and my brain dislike working together when I type...)

Back