• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close Quarter Combat (CQC) [Merged]

The most important things you can take away from martial arts training are confidence
and conditioning. I am not going to touch CQC, because I am not qualified to comment
on what techniques a soldier should or should not use. I was a sailor and the few times
I was required to use my martial arts(JUDO,Wrestling,Boxing) was when I was with the
shore patrol. Each instance it was with an unruly usually violent and drunk sailor.
No eye strikes, throat chops or knee to the cojones, just a simple throw into an
armlock, choke or holddown until some one could come and help cuff the individual.
Remember in any situation use minimum escalating force or you can face the legal
consequences(unless your in a warzone then you follow the rules of engagement).
  I have trained in the martial arts for over thirty years and as I mentioned in the
previous paragraph- CONFIDENCE in what you know and can do, even if this is one
or two techniques- CONDITIONING, if you are overweight,weak and out of breath
your chances of winning a fight are slim. If you are confident and conditioned you
should be able to give a good account of yourself and this is with only a few techniques
under your belt. It takes years to become good at any given martial art but you can
learn a few good techniques in a short time and use them effectively. In my point of
view most martial arts are good, you just have to take the time to train and condition
and do it all the time or you will lose your edge.

radiohead said:
I had a few questions about base life. Does the CF have any martial arts programs open to all member on the base? Or is this something that is only open to combat arms memebres, and is there a cost go attending.  Do they offer any training like they have in the Israeli army.

Depending on the base depends on the martial arts programs that are avalible,these programs are open to all members of the gym if the dojo is located there.

As for Krav Maga (Israeli army martial arts) again that depends on the area I know there is Krav in Ottawa......

So it all depends on the base and the city you get posted to, alot of times you will find better dojo's off the base. Hunt around once you get posted find what you like and stick to that

I think that anyone interested in Martial arts should certainly try as many styels as they can possibly afford.  No one style is better than another, I've watched Brazilian Capoeira Fighters get their *** kicked by Shaolin fighters and the opposite happen the next day.  Its about individual skill and implementation of individual style or mixture of styles.  Having said that from what I have read of this thread I've not heard very many people mention the chinese martial arts.  Although it seems that in terms of popularity, especially in more rural areas (where I am) Japanese and Korean arts prevail (predominantly styles of Karate and Tae Kwon Do systems).  I suggest that if you're interested in martial arts for both use in military and civie life try out as many of the Chinese styles as you can.  My Sifu has traveled china and it is amazing to see the versatility of something like the internal styles such as Ba Gua and Win Chun, or the external styles like Shaolin Animal and Mai Jung systems among others.  But certainly if you can try these, useful not only for fighting but in living life with a different attitude.   There that's my 2 cents

Berg

Berg said:
I think that anyone interested in Martial arts should certainly try as many styles as they can possibly afford.  No one style is better than another, I've watched Brazilian Capoeira Fighters get their *** kicked by Shaolin fighters and the opposite happen the next day.  Its about individual skill and implementation of individual style or mixture of styles.  Having said that from what I have read of this thread I've not heard very many people mention the chinese martial arts.  Although it seems that in terms of popularity, especially in more rural areas (where I am) Japanese and Korean arts prevail (predominantly styles of Karate and Tae Kwon Do systems).  I suggest that if you're interested in martial arts for both use in military and civie life try out as many of the Chinese styles as you can.  My Sifu has traveled china and it is amazing to see the versatility of something like the internal styles such as Ba Gua and Win Chun, or the external styles like Shaolin Animal and Mai Jung systems among others.  But certainly if you can try these, useful not only for fighting but in living life with a different attitude.   There that's my 2 cents

Berg

Agree here is the key no matter what style you study "FLOW" , Flow the ability to flow from one movment to another with little or no brake in movment, most people that attack you mite be able to stop your first combo but add a few more after that and is where you will be able to take them down and save you own butt. Such as a person grabs you by the neck you pull back throw a front kick followed by a cross hook cross combo, if it is blocked flow into a clinch with a few knees if that is blocked etc etc flow with good cardeo will save your butt everytime

I would never discount suprise. Upon leaving a bar in Seoul a 'buddy' got into it with a local. After the Korean guy demonstrated a stunning sequence of roundhouse kicks and heal spins said buddy step ed up, pulled the guys sweater over his head and kneed his face in.  Perhaps the 'Jersey' would be a fitting Canadian edition to hand to hand tactics  ;D

rossco said:
I would never discount suprise. Upon leaving a bar in Seoul a 'buddy' got into it with a local. After the Korean guy demonstrated a stunning sequence of roundhouse kicks and heal spins said buddy step ed up, pulled the guys sweater over his head and kneed his face in.  Perhaps the 'Jersey' would be a fitting Canadian edition to hand to hand tactics  ;D

Suprise is always a factor, the knockout punch is the one you don't see coming

I have a couple friends that are infantry and was just wondering if they are the only guys that get the cqc (close quarters combat) instruction.   I was just wondering if any of the other combat arms get the cqc instruction such as combat engineer.  I tried the search function for cqc but all that came up was some post about LAV III's and some other non related topics.

Ooh, and if cqc is not offered as instruction for other combat arms, is it offered as a course that you can ask to take??

[Edit: Once again correcting some Spelling Mistakes/Capitalization Problems]

Infantry are not the only ones that get it; they might be the only guys that get it as part of their BIQ/DP1 course though.  Usually units run their own CQC program though for their guys(combat arms an support MOCs). Dunno if thats just for Combat Arms unit or if support units do it aswell. 

The only CQC course I'm aware of is an Instructer Course.

When I did my SQ, everybody got a familiarization with simunition and got to go through the kill house, including the few Svc Bn types that were on my course. Of course, this was all done with the PRes, so I don't know about the reg force.

The first poster was talking about CQC (Close Quater Combat) The kill house and sim that you are talking about is more towards Urban Ops. And as a Ex Res and now Reg force guy the battle school for both of them is very different, Reg force is the only one the does CQC and they get more in depth into Urban Ops than the Res.

As a CQCI, I will go ahead and run with this.

CQC (basic) is taught on DP 1 Infantry (REG F). It is a qualification by itself. CQCI is the instructors course. To the clown talking about doing simmunition, you are confused and refering to close quarters battle. CQC Is duking it out.

Any trade can attend CQCI if they are qualified basic and are MCPL or higher (or CPL PLQ Qualified). Usually we run a CQC Basic to get everybody up to speed before we do the CQCI.

If you have at least 2 CQCI, then you can run CQC basic at your units (its 7 x days) and you require the appropriote gear (pugil, sparring, mats HIGHLY reccomended.

Cheers.

can officers take the CQCI course? I've got extensive martial arts background as well as use of force training :D just wandering ArmyRick

My Combat Engineer unit ran a basic CQC course in the last year, and we have a few (very few) qualified CQCI pers at the unit. It was not a normal course , but it was still offered, I believe only about 20-30 pers were run through the course at that time. But at least it was still held.......as for officer's attending, I believe a (new) Lt (not a 2 LT) was the chief CQCI.

I did a search and found this, http://www.army.dnd.ca/ael/pubs/300-008/B-GL-382/004/FP-001/B-GL-382-004-FP-001_E.pdf

it might not be  used anymore...but it was interesting. It looks to me as if it's at least based on karate, the way it shows punches kicks and stances appear to me to resemble karate.  I saw in one article in a blackbelt magazine a number of years ago an article on US Army hand to hand. It was a form of karate...goju-ryu maybe.  I think that in the US Army it has changed they are into BJJ now but I think other styles karate have been taught.

Not sure how many styles are taught through the CF but unless you can train in it often or train with someone who does it lots a marital arts club/dojo might be the best bet. I could be a civilian club...but at least that option you can train (time permitting of course) numerous times a week...2 or more for most arts.  In all honest even a day seminar or weekend seminar might not due you that good unless you already are an experience martial artist (so you can understand the movement and more likely to get something out of a few hours of training) or you can train with a hand to hand instructor often.

I would suggest if you live in an area that has numerous styles try each that you can, most instructors will let you try one class or a few for free. Ask questions like how long they have taught, talk to other students and choose an art that seems interesting and worthwile to you. All arts have something to teach if you like sport arts...competition arts like TKD, Karate normally have tournaments..as does Kung Fu I believe.  Some folks will say that TKD and karate are to linear  but again it's a personal choice. As was mentioned in this thread TKD and Karate are pretty much every where...just choose something you enjoy and you consider worth while.

While on this thread has anyone heard of Gus Michalik  of the Black Arts society (http://www.black-arts-society.com/michalik.htm) I met him on a martial arts chat forum
some years ago..he said he was a hand to hand instructor for one of the battalions of the RCR.

Any one here had any experience with the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP) seems pretty interesting.

Hatchet Man  mentioned an art I'd love to get involved with Bujinkan Ninjutsu do a simple serach for it on line. I'ts made up of 9 ryu or schools some of which are Ninjutsu some are samurai arts etc. As far as I know the only dojo of it in Atlantic Canada is or was in Diepee, NB last time I searched. THere use to be one in Halifax but I have since been told it closed down or they no longer knew of the instructor teaching it...I've never seen it in action but believe it is effective....

NovaScotiaNewf, the pam you provided a link for is the OLD CF unarmed combat system and IS NO longer used. The current CQC pam is floating around and the electronic copies are controlled.

ArmyRick (CQC Instructor)

The most importnant thing is winning the fight. That is what you should focus on - not any dancing.

the hand to hand combat is based , on the UFC , its a mix of every martial art. its a 7day training and u must be in a REALY GOOOD SHAPE. u do 2 combat pt every day , and for the rest u learn some tech. at the end of the training u will do a obstacle course witch is very hard. Chance of hurting yourself during the 7 days ... 75%  good luck

NovaScotiaNewfie said:
Hatchet Man  mentioned an art I'd love to get involved with Bujinkan Ninjutsu do a simple serach for it on line. I'ts made up of 9 ryu or schools some of which are Ninjutsu some are samurai arts etc. As far as I know the only dojo of it in Atlantic Canada is or was in Diepee, NB last time I searched. THere use to be one in Halifax but I have since been told it closed down or they no longer knew of the instructor teaching it...I've never seen it in action but believe it is effective....

Its a neat art to learn, purely to learn a classical martial art, but I wouldn't count on it as an effective style in a street fight unless you were to train ridiculusly hardcore in it for say 15-20 years, and even then it would be iffy.  That said there are a couple of practitioners who have refined it for a modern age (ie less ridiculus fixed stances, and full contact/full force strikes).  As well some of the more modern Jujitsu ryus (and by extension that would include BJJ and Judo) can trace their lineage back to the some of the 9 ryus that make up the bujinkan system.  You really can't go wrong with a place that has a solid MMA program, also if you can take a PPCT course which will teach you the basics (ie disable someone without causing serious harm to them and most importantly your self).  As well, EVERYONE you try and remember to practice the most acient and sacred art of Donovan Bailey jitsu, for when the fit really hits the shan. ;)

I've witnessed a few street fights, were the claimed matrial art person meets the 240lb King Kong and let me tell you, once King Kong gets a hold of you, its contest over for M. Karate. There is really no response for big meaty right fist hitting face over and over again .

Sorry but some people have been watching to many Bruce Lee movies.

Back