• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMMA - replacing the CP140 Aurora

On board a Canadian military surveillance plane

Report posted yesterday. Note Reporter states aircraft is 40 years old. Good info for civilian viewers.

The only sub that we know of.....
I know of 4 commercial subs that been there and one those goes quite frequently. Including this one, which I had a hand in restoring

benfranklin1.jpg;w=960

So spotted a Global 6000/6500 registered to Bombardier Aerospace doing some fancy airshow display stuff around the Kingston area this morning, just before noon. I was lucky to spot it out at Millhaven for just a second as it made a hard left bank just SE of the institution. About 10 minutes later it overflew the institution. When I got home a was able to check ADS-B Exchange replay and it came out of Toronto did a low-level pass (650') of Kingston airport, flew around Kingston and Amherst Island before departing and headed east before landing at Montreal around 12:30 .

Must of being showing off for someone. May be related to Bombardiers bid for the CMMA project??

It will be interesting to see if anything in the local news tomorrow.

So spotted a Global 6000/6500 registered to Bombardier Aerospace doing some fancy airshow display stuff around the Kingston area this morning, just before noon. I was lucky to spot it out at Millhaven for just a second as it made a hard left bank just SE of the institution. About 10 minutes later it overflew the institution. When I got home a was able to check ADS-B Exchange replay and it came out of Toronto did a low-level pass (650') of Kingston airport, flew around Kingston and Amherst Island before departing and headed east before landing at Montreal around 12:30 .

Must of being showing off for someone. May be related to Bombardiers bid for the CMMA project??

What does the NAV CANADA airfield testing office fly now?

They have planes/crews whose job is to fly approaches into/out of airports to test/verify them. What you described sounds like it.

Doubt it. Bombardier has already officially lost and Boeing was selected.
Not exactly.

PSPC sent a letter of request to Boeing, essentially asking them for more details. They did say that "the P-8 is the only aircraft that meets the military's needs" but the project is still technically in Options Analysis, not Implementation. It's possible (not sure how likely now, but always possible) that the project team finds something wrong with the Boeing bid and details.

It's sort of semantics, but it's the difference between "we are really looking at Boeing right now" vs "we're picked the Boeing P-8A". It's sort of, but not exactly, like when FFCP had LockMart as the "preferred bidder" before officially signing onto the F-35.

What does the NAV CANADA airfield testing office fly now?

They have planes/crews whose job is to fly approaches into/out of airports to test/verify them. What you described sounds like it.
According to their website they have 2 x CRJ-200 and one 1 x Dash 8-100.

Did it look like this?
c-gfio-nav-canada-bombardier-crj-200er-cl-600-2b19_PlanespottersNet_502257_ce2ed87e45_o.jpg

Here is a link to the ADS-B Exchange that shows the aircraft (c/s BBA15- orange icon)come in from the north and perform its maneuverers before departing for Montreal. If you click on the a/c icon it activates the track feature.

Edit: Track starts around 1530Z and ends around 1600Z.

Last edited:
Bombardier Globals are assembled at Downsview, so you most likely witnessed a test or certification flight.

Was the aircraft painted yet?

Doubt it. Bombardier has already officially lost and Boeing was selected.

Boeing hasn’t be “selected” yet…Bombardier may not have even replied to the RFI after reviewing the HLMRs. Can’t lose if you don’t play.

Dimsum beat me to it.

Boeing hasn’t be “selected” yet…Bombardier may not have even replied to the RFI after reviewing the HLMRs. Can’t lose if you don’t play.

Dimsum beat me to it.
Yes but has Boeing really won yet? This one is going on the PM desk and the puppet masters are not totally onboard. Quebec Inc. has to sign off on it still.

I won't believe it till contracts and planes in Canada

Back