• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMMA - replacing the CP140 Aurora

100% agreed on every point.

if Bombardier wants to get into the civil-military aircraft market as it see's some potential growth into those markets? Great!

(Took long enough, and a few countries to take their products & modify them themselves...)

They have to earn it.

They are also in a very advantageous position in that for Canadian orders on almost anything, they have ample heads up on a project's general desired outcome (is SAR aircraft replacement)
Except they sold the design capability and technology to Viking. Without having to enter an expensive developmental programme they can simply lobby the government to purchase a fleet of executive transports to a) save hours on the airbuses b) reduce carbon output c) reduce fuel costs for all international travel except for that requiring the full entourage. Bombardier makes a superb long-range high class executive aircraft

It's a good thing we didn't buy them when Harper was PM! I think we can all look back at this and chuckle that our extremely drawn out competitions can sometimes be hidden blessings...

Why bother with the F-35 and P8, lets just wait for the replacements because they'll already be obsolete when we get them....

….ummm….grow the biz jet top line.

And Mil variants are very small potatoes compared to the throughout of the commercial line.
Agree but you got me looking.

Bigger market than I thought

Special Mission Aircraft market is projected to grow from USD 15.9 billion in 2022 to USD 19.9 billion by 2027 at a CAGR of 4.6 %.

The global business jets market is expected to expand from an estimated USD 30.9 billion in 2022 to USD 46.8 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 7.2% over the forecast period of 2023-2028.

So the business case is there.

Agree but you got me looking.

Bigger market than I thought

Special Mission Aircraft market is projected to grow from USD 15.9 billion in 2022 to USD 19.9 billion by 2027 at a CAGR of 4.6 %.
The airframe isn’t the big part.
Lots of major defense companies are buying the airframes and putting equipment into them.
Due to the nature of the equipment it’s not a job a Canadian aircraft company will get.

If they want to chase that market it would be a fools errand, unless they sell interior stripped airframes for conversions

The airframe isn’t the big part.
Lots of major defense companies are buying the airframes and putting equipment into them.
Due to the nature of the equipment it’s not a job a Canadian aircraft company will get.

If they want to chase that market it would be a fools errand, unless they sell interior stripped airframes for conversions
Oh yes the inside stuff is the important bits. And the its where most of the money is too. But for Bombardier they want to sell the airframe and also the ton of work to certify (this is big money too) whatever bits and bobs that stick out of the aircraft.

I was surprised at the size of the market. And company like Bombardier would in Canada be the prime and say Lockheed the sub. But in reality LM would have all the IP and tech. In the US it would be opposite, as in the BACN.

If you are Bombardier this market is really the only market you can move to. They gave up small and mid size biz market. Lear and smaller challengers are gone. And they have had some success. I don't think they will the prime other than maybe in the RCAF case for reasons.

I am just talking about the business case from their angle. I do agree we should just get the P-8 and maybe a couple of wedgetails too. :)

If you are Bombardier this market is really the only market you can move to. They gave up small and mid size biz market. Lear and smaller challengers are gone. And they have had some success. I don't think they will the prime other than maybe in the RCAF case for reasons.

??

The only discontinued (largest) Challenger model was the 800, which was based on the CRJ-200.

Challenger 300/350/now 3500 is the only "smaller" Challenger, and production is ongoing.

Production of the larger (original) Challenger 650 is ongoing as well.

??

The only discontinued (largest) Challenger model was the 800, which was based on the CRJ-200.

Challenger 300/350/now 3500 is the only "smaller" Challenger, and production is ongoing.

Production of the larger (original) Challenger 650 is ongoing as well.
Sorry your right. I thought the 601 was smaller....just updated and new number. Same sizes

Frankly I'd like to see 412 Sqn re-equipped with half a dozen Global Express 7500 - larger, faster, longer range.

Configure them with a medevac suite you can swap in as well...
Our opportunity was in 2020, when we bought the 650. Won’t happen for a while now…

This is Canada….we don’t need a “good“ time to buy corporate jets…
That was clear when Chretien made it an impromptu good time to buy a couple 604s two days short of the end of fiscal year…SOCD to follow… 😆

An article in the Ottawa Citizen says that Bombardier has officially teamed with General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada to offer a Global 6500-based replacement for the CP-140s.

Apparently the team is pushing the fact that GDMS-C already does the sensors on the Auroras and Cyclones and has a proven design with low-risk integration. They also note that with the planned Aurora modernization extending the service life of the CP-140s into the 2030s that leaves plenty of time for the CF to look at different options than the P-8 for replacement (which is still technically in the "options analysis" phase) and as per PSPC, the RFI to Boeing "does not commit Canada to purchasing the P-8A Poseidon".

Looks like Minister Anand is in for a political fight.

An article in the Ottawa Citizen says that Bombardier has officially teamed with General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada to offer a Global 6500-based replacement for the CP-140s.

Apparently the team is pushing the fact that GDMS-C already does the sensors on the Auroras and Cyclones and has a proven design with low-risk integration. They also note that with the planned Aurora modernization extending the service life of the CP-140s into the 2030s that leaves plenty of time for the CF to look at different options than the P-8 for replacement (which is still technically in the "options analysis" phase) and as per PSPC, the RFI to Boeing "does not commit Canada to purchasing the P-8A Poseidon".

Looks like Minister Anand is in for a political fight.
“Low risk” integration, huh?

Ok, then.

Back