• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Boots policy 2018-CANFORGEN 127/18

MJP

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
UNCLAS
SIC NNA
SECTION 1 OF 4
CANFORGEN 127/18 - COMD CA 015/18
BILINGUAL MESSAGE/MESSAGE BILINGUE
SUBJ: COMBAT BOOT REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM
REFS: A. SCALE OF ISSUES: D01301 (CA), D01341 (RCAF), D11115
(DEPLOYED OP), D01116 (OFFICER CADETS), D01119 (ABORIGINAL PRGM),
D01307 (CDN MP).
B. CBI 11.2.03 ISOLATED POST INSTRUCTIONS
C. SUPPLY ADMINISTRATION MANUAL (2.97 AND 2.98)
D. FAM 1016-0, MANAGING EXPENSE CLAIMS
E. FAM 1014-4-1, CONTROL OF FINANCIAL SIGNING AUTHORITIES
F. FAQ: there's a link but it doesn't work.
PAGE 2 RCCPJAQ1017 UNCLAS

1. PROGRAM OVERVIEW

A. OPERATIONAL FOOTWEAR IS MISSION CRITICAL, HIGHLY PERSONALIZED AND IS AN INTEGRAL COMPONENT OF AN INDIVIDUAL S PERSONAL EQUIPMENT. ALL CAF MEMBERS ENTITLED TO WEAR COMBAT (CBT) BOOTS IAW THE APPROVED SCALE OF ISSUE (SOI) AT REF A WOULD BENEFIT FROM GREATER FLEXIBILITY IN SELECTING THE TYPE OF CBT BOOT THAT IS BEST SUITED TO THEIR
OPERATING ENVIRONMENT.

B. THE AIM OF THIS CANFORGEN IS TO ANNOUNCE A NEW PROGRAM FOR MANAGING TEMPERATE CBT BOOTS AND TO PROVIDE DIRECTION FOR PHASE 1 IMPLEMENTATION.

C. THIS PROGRAM IS FOR TEMPERATE CBT BOOTS ONLY (NSNS 21-872-4291, 20-001-9296, 20-005-2273, 20-001-2410 OR 20-008-2050). SAFETY BOOTS, NAVAL CBT BOOTS AND OTHER TYPES OF
OPERATIONAL FOOTWEAR WILL CONTINUE TO BE PROVIDED BY THE DEFENCE SUPPLY CHAIN (DSC) OR OTHER MEANS AS APPLICABLE.

D. THE MANAGEMENT OF CBT BOOTS WILL EVENTUALLY TRANSITION TO AN ON-LINE MODEL, SIMILAR TO THE ONE CURRENTLY IN PLACE FOR DEU ITEMS. THIS TRANSITION WILL BE EXECUTED OVER SEVERAL YEARS, AND WILL OCCUR IN 3 PHASES:

(1). PHASE 1. ENTITLED CAF MEMBERS WILL BE ABLE TO PURCHASE CBT BOOTS OF THEIR CHOICE BASED ON SIMPLE SELECTION CRITERIA AND LOCAL CHAIN OF COMMAND GUIDANCE, AND BE REIMBURSED FOR THIS EXPENSE UP TO A PRE-DETERMINED MAXIMUM DOLLAR VALUE. THIS IS AN INTERIM POLICY THAT WILL REMAIN IN EFFECT UNTIL A PRE-QUALIFIED COMBAT BOOT PRODUCT
LIST CAN BE MADE AVAILABLE.
(2). PHASE 2. FOLLOWING INDUSTRY ENGAGEMENT AND QUALIFICATION TESTING, THE CAF WILL PRODUCE A PRE-QUALIFIED CBT BOOT LIST. ENTITLED MEMBERS WILL ONLY BE ALLOWED TO PURCHASE BOOTS FROM THIS LIST.
(3). PHASE 3. THE LAST PHASE OF THIS POLICY WILL TRANSITION THE MANAGEMENT OF CBT BOOTS TO AN ON-LINE MODEL SIMILAR TO THE WAY DEU ARE CURRENTLY MANAGED.

1. KEY CHANGES TO EXISTING PROGRAM

A. EFFECTIVE AS OF 15 AUGUST 2018 ALL ENTITLED REGULAR FORCE AND PRIMARY RESERVE FORCE WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR CBT BOOT FUNDING ASSISTANCE. ENTITLED MEMBERS ARE THOSE INDIVIDUALS WITHIN THE CAF WHO ARE AUTHORIZED TO DRAW OPERATIONAL CLOTHING IAW REF A, HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED BASIC TRAINING AND ARE ON EFFECTIVE STRENGTH
(PRIMARY RESERVE).

B. AS A GENERAL PRINCIPLE, CLOTHING STORES WILL TRANSITION AWAY FROM CONDUCTING ROUTINE ONE FOR ONE EXCHANGES FOR INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE COMPLETED BASIC MILITARY TRAINING. THAT SAID, THE DSC WILL MAINTAIN THE ABILITY TO REPLENISH CBT BOOTS IN EMERGENCY CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE LOCAL PURCHASE IS NOT PRACTICAL DUE TO TIME OR GEOGRAPHIC
CONSTRAINTS.

C. WHEN NEW MEMBERS JOIN THE CAF, THEY WILL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE ISSUED CBT BOOTS IAW THEIR SCALE OF ISSUE (SOI) DURING THE INITIAL KITTING PROCESS. NATIONAL INVENTORY WILL BE PRIORITIZED AND CENTRALIZED IN SPECIFIC LOCATIONS THAT SUPPORT INITIAL KITTING FOR RECRUITS.

D. THE POLICY FOR THE REIMBURSEMENT OF ORTHOPEDIC FOOTWEAR REMAINS
EXTANT.

1. ENTITLEMENTS

A. ENTITLEMENT FOR REIMBURSEMENT IS BASED ON A TIERED SYSTEM WHICH TAKES INTO CONSIDERATION BOTH THE EXPECTED USAGE OF COMBAT BOOTS AND THE OPERATIONAL ENVIRONMENT IN WHICH THEY ARE USED.
(1). TIER 1: MEMBERS BELONGING TO A CMBG (INCLUDING PERMANENTLY AFFILIATED UNITS WITH A FORMAL COMMAND RELATIONSHIP TO THE CMBG), AS WELL AS ALL MEMBERS BELONGING TO THE CCSB, CMTC, CDTCS, CRPG HQ STAFF, CTC, JTF-X, CANSOFCOM UNITS AND ANY PRIMARY RESERVE MEMBER ON CLASS B SERVICE WITH THE AFORMENTIONNED ORGANIZATIONS.
(2). TIER 2: MEMBERS NOT LISTED ABOVE, BUT WHO WEAR COMBATS AS THE DRESS OF THE DAY AND ARE COVERED BY REF A, AS WELL AS CANSOFCOM HQ, DIVISIONAL HQS, CCSB HQ, CBG HQ AND UNITS, AND ANY PRIMARY RESERVE MEMBER ON CLASS A OR B SERVICE WITH THE AFORMENTIONNED ORGANIZATIONS.
(3). TIER 3: MEMBERS WHO WEAR DEU AS THE DRESS OF THE DAY AND ARE COVERED BY REF A, AS WELL AS ANY PRIMARY RESERVE MEMBER ON CLASS A OR B SERVICE NOT WORKING IN A TIER 1 OR 2 ORGANIZATION.

B. INDIVIDUAL REIMBURSEMENT IS AUTHORIZED AS FOLLOWS:

(1). TIER 1: ONE PAIR OF BOOTS NOT TO EXCEED 340 DOLLARS PER FISCAL YEAR (FY), EXCLUDING TAXES.
(2). TIER 2: ONE PAIR OF BOOTS NOT TO EXCEED 340 DOLLARS EVERY TWO FYS, EXCLUDING TAXES.
(3). TIER 3: ONE PAIR OF BOOTS NOT TO EXCEED 340 DOLLARS EVERY THREE FYS, EXCLUDING TAXES.

C. APPLICABLE TAXES WILL BE REIMBURSED OVER AND ABOVE THE 340 DOLLAR FUNDING ENTITLEMENT. REGULAR SHIPPING COSTS AND FOREIGN CURRENCY EXCHANGE COSTS WILL BE REIMBURSED ONLY IF THEY ARE WITHIN THE 340 DOLLAR FUNDING ENTITLEMENT.

D. MEMBERS SERVING IN AN ISOLATED POST IAW REF B WILL BE REIMBURSED FOR STANDARD DOMESTIC SHIPPING COSTS OVER THE 340 DOLLAR FUNDING LIMIT.

E. THIS ENTITLEMENT DOES NOT ACCUMULATE FROM YEAR TO YEAR.

F. INDIVIDUALS DEPLOYING ON A NAMED MISSION FOR GREATER THAN 5 MONTHS AND WHOM ARE BEING FORCE GENERATED FROM A TIER 2 OR 3 UNIT, WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR AN ADDITIONAL PAIR OF BOOTS NOT TO EXCEED 340 DOLLARS. AUTHORIZATION FOR THIS ENTITLEMENT WILL BE VIA CFTPO.

G. CO AUTHORIZATION IS MANDATORY IF AN INDIVIDUAL REQUIRES AN ADDITIONAL ENTITLEMENT WITHIN THE SAME PERIOD. THIS SHOULD BE THE EXCEPTION AND MUST BE DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTABLE TO MILITARY SERVICE.

1. BOOT SELECTION CRITERIA.

A. NOTWITHSTANDING THE DESIRE FOR INCREASED FLEXIBILITY, THE CAF ALSO HAS THE RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT THE OPERATIONAL FOOTWEAR IN USE BY CAF MEMBERS IS SAFE FOR USE, ADHERES TO DRESS REGULATIONS AND WILL MEET THE DEMANDS OF AN OPERATIONAL ENVIRONMENT.

B. THEREFORE, THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA MUST BE MET WHEN SELECTING BOOTS FOR INDIVIDUAL PURCHASE AND REIMBURSEMENT:

(1). COLOUR. BROWN IS PREFERRED, BUT BLACK OR TAN IS ACCEPTABLE AS PART OF PHASE 1.
(2). TEMPERATURE RANGE. SHOULD BE DESIGNED TO OPERATE IN TEMPERATE CONDITIONS, BETWEEN PLUS 4 CELSIUS AND PLUS 35 CELSIUS.
(3). HEIGHT. MINIMUM 15 CM, MAXIMUM 23CM, AS MEASURED FROM INSIDE THE BOOT, ON TOP OF THE FOOTBED TO THE HIGHEST POINT.
(4). SOLE. NON-MARKING, FUEL, OIL, AND ACID RESISTANT NITRILE RUBBER OUTSOLE.
C. THE LOCAL CHAIN OF COMMAND WILL ASSIST THE MEMBER WITH KEY INFORMATION ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT IN WHICH THE MEMBER CAN BE EXPECTED TO OPERATE IN. GUIDANCE FROM THE CHAIN OF COMMAND IS NOT THE SAME AS ISSUING SPECIFIC DIRECTION ON THE TYPE OR MODEL OF FOOTWEAR TO BE PURCHASED.

1. PROCESS FOR PHASE 1

A. PRIOR TO PURCHASING CBT BOOTS, INDIVIDUALS MUST ESTABLISH A LEGITIMATE NEED FOR A NEW PAIR OF BOOTS AND THIS NECESSITY MUST BE AUTHORIZED BY THE INDIVIDUALS CHAIN OF COMMAND. REFS C AND E PROVIDE ADDITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR THIS DETERMINATION. INDIVIDUALS ARE RESPONSIBLE TO PURCHASE A CBT BOOT THAT MEETS THE ABOVE SELECTION
CRITERIA. NON-COMPLIANT BOOTS WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED.

B. ADVANCES FOR CBT BOOT CLAIMS WILL NOT BE ENTERTAINED EXCEPT UNDER EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS AS DEEMED APPROPRIATE BY THE MEMBERS UNIT.

C. INDIVIDUALS MUST SUBMIT THEIR ORIGINAL PROOF OF PURCHASE AND UNIT AUTHORIZATION TO THEIR UNIT ORDERLY ROOM IOT INITIATE THE REIMBURSEMENT PROCESS. THIS WILL BE DONE VIA CF 52, GENERAL ALLOWANCE CLAIM. CERTIFIED COPIES OF CLAIMS MUST BE KEPT ON MEMBERS PERS FILE. RECEIPTS AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION MUST BE DATED WITHIN THE SAME FY AS THE CLAIM BEING SUBMITTED.

MJP said:
C. THIS PROGRAM IS FOR TEMPERATE CBT BOOTS ONLY (NSNS 21-872-4291,
20-001-9296, 20-005-2273, 20-001-2410 OR 20-008-2050). SAFETY BOOTS,
NAVAL CBT BOOTS AND OTHER TYPES OF OPERATIONAL FOOTWEAR WILL
CONTINUE TO BE PROVIDED BY THE DEFENCE SUPPLY CHAIN (DSC) OR OTHER
MEANS AS APPLICABLE.

While that sucks for zoomies and sailors and all the people posted to Wings, etc, this is super for the folks posted to C Army units  ;D (anyone posted to a Wing, regardless of where they work, are only supposed to get issued the RCAF CSA grade 1 TCBs and CWWBs).    Hopefully, the RCAF can get its shit together and do the same thing for safety boots...but I'm not holding my breath.  I suspect there is significant warehouse space full of the CEMS project boots that were bought and paid for.

MJP, I hope you don't mind but I translated the CANFORGEN to a more forum friendly format. It's all the same info just way easier to read.

My only major concern might just be because I'm cynical, but that the "pre qualified" boots list turns into a "Buy Canadian" crapshow like the old boot projects.

PuckChaser said:
MJP, I hope you don't mind but I translated the CANFORGEN to a more forum friendly format. It's all the same info just way easier to read.

No worries and appreciate it.  Using my laptop trackpad was making me want to kill kittens so I just posted it as is.

As long as all the big names (Salomon, Hanwag, Lowa, Danner, Miendl, etc.) end up on there everyone who is entitled should be happy. I'd like to see them specifically exclude SWAT as I've seen too many SWATs fall apart too quickly.

CanadianTire said:
As long as all the big names (Salomon, Hanwag, Lowa, Danner, Miendl, etc.) end up on there everyone who is entitled should be happy. I'd like to see them specifically exclude SWAT as I've seen too many SWATs fall apart too quickly.

SWATs are a hit with the Tier 2 and Tier 3 folks who hang out in offices. They don't stand up to any serious marching or patrolling. I'm sure they'll make the list.

Eye In The Sky said:
While that sucks for zoomies and sailors and all the people posted to Wings, etc, this is super for the folks posted to C Army units  ;D (anyone posted to a Wing, regardless of where they work, are only supposed to get issued the RCAF CSA grade 1 TCBs and CWWBs).    Hopefully, the RCAF can get its shit together and do the same thing for safety boots...but I'm not holding my breath.  I suspect there is significant warehouse space full of the CEMS project boots that were bought and paid for.

Well, one of the refs was scale of issue for RCAF, so maybe we're lumped in this one?

Dimsum said:
Well, one of the refs was scale of issue for RCAF, so maybe we're lumped in this one?

I think we'd fall into the Tier 2 category. Combats are also dress of the day for Aircrew. I can't wait to see brown boots around the Wing... looks so much better than black.

PuckChaser said:

My only major concern might just be because I'm cynical, but that the "pre qualified" boots list turns into a "Buy Canadian Quebec" crapshow like the old boot projects.

FTFY  ;D

Dimsum said:

BobSlob said:
I think we'd fall into the Tier 2 category. Combats are also dress of the day for Aircrew. I can't wait to see brown boots around the Wing... looks so much better than black.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think RCAF members who are not posted to a C Army unit (and therefore entitled to the C Army SOI) will benefit from this.   

Yes, the RCAF SOI was one of the ref's, but I am also 99.9% sure that the NSNs for the RCAF TCB are different from the NSNs the C Army TCBs are.  /ASLEO nerd hat on/, I've attached a portion of the Flight Comment article from 2008 that explains the specifications for the RCAF ECWB, CWWB, TCB and DCB.  You'll notice the specific ref's to the CSA Grade 1/steel toe/requirement for the boots to be fire resistant/etc as I've highlighted in the article.  *this is my source document when I talk to Wg Supply about the spec's LPO boots are required to replace, if available.  IOT to make sure that Army folks don't get the clunker Air Force TCBs, and that RCAF (or people posted to RCAF units) folks don't get the Army version TCBs, I'm assuming they have different NSNs.  Additionally, the issued RCAF boots (and, assumingly, the ones the Wing Supply produce in their list as LPOs) have been issued Technical Airworthiness and Operational Airworthiness Certifications. /ALSEO nerd hat off/

I've been doing LPO boots for 10+ years now, and when I changed from green to blue, when I had to get my LPO boots replaced, I *had* to go with safety boots - no option.  That was both with FLog Hfx and where I am posted now.  This included LPO desert combat boots when IMPACT spun up - I've attached the boot list Wg Supply had at the time, and you'll notice at the end of it, the only option for LPO DCBs for anyone who was air force was the safety toe version of the Reeboks.  I asked, and Wp Supply was not authorized to purchase soft toe boots (at least they were composite and light).

And while the CANFORGEN does list the RCAF SOI as a ref, it also says:

SAFETY BOOTS, NAVAL CBT BOOTS AND OTHER TYPES OF OPERATIONAL FOOTWEAR WILL CONTINUE TO BE PROVIDED BY THE DEFENCE SUPPLY CHAIN (DSC) OR OTHER MEANS AS APPLICABLE.

With my dealing with Supply for the stuff that happened during IMPACT, I was CCd into an email from...I don't remember exactly who, but it was someone at the Div and the direction was "all RCAF personnel and non-RCAF personnel posted to the Div shall wear safety footwear". 

Remember back when the Air Force came out with the 'gortex rainjacket' and the Army didn't have them?  The RCAF purchased (ie 'funded') them, not the Army so the Army didn't get Gucci jackets initially.  When the CEMS project happened, I suspect the AF bought (funded) a crapload of boots that are warehoused around the country.  I don't think the RCAF will turf all those boots that are already bought and paid for and then fund this project as well.  :2c:

Again, I'd love to be proven wrong.  However, I will add I am in the process of replacing my LPO summer boots (aka Air Force temperate combat boots, IAW the Flight Comment article) as we speak, just late last week and Wing Supply has them ordered...and they have to be CSA grade 1 safety boots - no choice as that is the direction given to DSSPM from the Div.  The good thing now is composite's are being used in CSA Grade 1.  My Magnum summer boots and Bates winter boots are the same weight and comfort as the soft toe versions (not that it will help anyone who is not authorized LPO/special size boots in the RCAF).

*Personally, I think Safety toe should be mandatory for techs, maybe FEs and unfortunately AES Ops can't get away from it (we're required to have them for handling search & kill stores, IAW the Sono Ref Guide), but for the LRP fleet at least, I do not see a requirement for them for Pilots and ACSOs.  But, the Div didn't ask me for my opinion.  ;D

Attachments

• 2008-3 Flight Comment AF Footwear.pdf
    589.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Work Authority - Boot Styles.docx
    213.3 KB · Views: 185
What are these CEMS boots you speak of. All I see are the steel toed version of the MKIV. I was hoping I could finally stop fighting with supply and just buy my boots now. I have to get a PT to sign off on a dermatology issue just so I can get boots that breath. It's so stupid. Even Sea boots would work but I can't get those because I'm Air Force.

CEMS (Clothing and Equipment Millennium Standard) was an Air Force project that started back around 2000 to provide the RCAF with some newer kit.  The project moved under ADM (Mat) I think and was completed a while ago AFAIK, all the deliverables are now being issued.  It included the 4 types of RCAF issued boots, the 'steel toed MKIV' ones are likely the TCBs and CWWBs:

- Extreme Cold Weather Boot
- Cold Wet Weather Boot (winter boot)
- Temperature Combat Boot (summer boot)
- Desert Combat Boot

They are detailed in the post above I made in the Flight Comment article from 2008 by the RCAF ALSEO.

They were all full leather, safety boots - these are the 'issued' RCAF boots you loath.  They are clunkers, a pair of size 10 TCBs weigh in about 5-6 lbs.

:nod:

They're junk!

Summary:

- the C Army leadership realized the boot situation was UNSAT, and made efforts to work towards a real solution in the interim and long term.  :cheers:

- the RCAF leadership bought tons of crappy boots a decade ago and RCAF folks will wear them for the next XX years, regardless of how crappy they are because they didn't want to fund this program for safety boots.  :'(

:D

I skimmed through the FAQ, and I'm impressed that somebody actually thought about this from the gate..

21. I am in the Primary Reserve working on Class B contract in a Tier 3 unit wearing DEU as dress of the day, but I am also serving in a Tier 2 unit as Class A on weekends. What is my entitlement?

You are authorized to have a Tier 2 entitlement and your Reserve Unit CO can certify this if required.

(1). TIER 1: ONE PAIR OF BOOTS NOT TO EXCEED 340 DOLLARS PER FISCAL YEAR (FY), EXCLUDING TAXES

I could see this perhaps changing after a year.

Rocky S2Vs cost $347 and I've seen them last 5 years of daily use and lots of field time.

Not complaining though.

So basically if a member buys a pair of boots after 15 August then they will be reimbursed up to $340 for the fiscal year until April 2019.

Jarnhamar said:

Rocky S2Vs cost $347 and I've seen them last 5 years of daily use and lots of field time.

Not complaining though.

So basically if a member buys a pair of boots after 15 August then they will be reimbursed up to $340 for the fiscal year until April 2019.

That's so awesome my head just exploded.

Seriously. Nice work whoever in the CAF made this happen, and if they don't get at least an OMM out of this I'll take hostages ;) 

Jarnhamar said:

Not complaining though.

Been to Millbrook? Thought I saw pairs there for $239.

I think what you'll see is the market adjust, and boots that are just over the $340 limit will suddenly be on sale for $339.99. The flexibility will allow folks to hit up Boxing Day and Black Friday sales as well.

Back